Computer turns on but doesn't boot

triif

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I woke up this morning to turn my computer on and as I did I noticed the indicator light next to the power light on my tower was a solid color instead of the normal pulsing. I also noticed my fans inside my computer on my heat sync, video card and tower unit were all working. The strange thing about it was that they didn't power back down to normal operating speed once the system starts to boot. They just continued to run at a constant high speed and my system doesn't boot. while this is all going on I also get no response on my monitor. What could be the issue?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Without more information, I'm going to start you at the most basic level here.
First, uplug your computer and remove the side panel. Blow off everything inside with compressed air, ensure the inside of the computer is dust free. Try to start it then.
The make and model of your computer (specs if home built), may help in in figuring out the problem if it isn't simply dirty inside.
Good luck

triif

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
well i have tried that and I will again. My computer is a HP pavilion a6700y. I have added a new power supply which is a DYNEX DX-520wps as well as a new graphics card which is a nividia gtx 550ti. I have been running it this way for awhile now...I would say 6 months.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
It could be a whole bunch of things. Bad power supply, bad ram, bad mobo. it probably isn't the hard drive because it would still boot.

What I usually do first is take a sniff of the PSU and see if it smells "Smoky", if it does and its noticeable, then I would guess your PSU is bad. You can unplug the wires that go from the Case to the mobo and reset them. See if that does the trick.

Start with that. Then you have to go to work and take out the video card, hard drive and all cards and see if you can get those mobo to post. You may want to yank out the ram and reseat it as well.

triif

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Also we have had some power surgers in the are the past few days due to some intense storms. Would it be possibe that my power supply is some how fried but able to provide minimal voltage just not enough to power more then the fans?

It is quite possible, you might pull the graphics card and try to reuse the original PSU (if you still have it and it's good). See if it'll give you a good POST.