Solved

"Shorting" a PSU ON To Test It ?

Should the unit stay ON after transiently connecting green to ground? Or does it depend on the particular model? The PSU I tested would only stay on with a continuous connection. Once the jumper was pulled out, it would go OFF.

Thanks for setting a newbie straight.

Detail:
Tested a PSU using a multimeter - as per much online documentation and common sense. (And all voltages measured were within specs.)

One thing that I couldn't nail down was about starting and running the PSU by itself.

It's usually described as "shorting" the green Power On to Ground. Some sites described as "with a screwdriver" and others like jumping the pins with a paperclip (or short wire which I did and it worked fine).
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shorting test
  1. Best answer
    Yes it is supposed to shut down if the connection is broken! All it does is to see if it turns on.
  2. Thanks for confirming. (Just couldn't reconcile the screwdriver vs. wire jumper images.)
  3. Best answer selected by 123post.
  4. 123post said:
    Thanks for confirming. (Just couldn't reconcile the screwdriver vs. wire jumper images.)

The screwdriver 'method' is for shorting the power-button pins on the motherboard to toggle the motherboard's soft-on/off toggle circuitry which normally drives the PWR_ON pin on the ATX connector.
  5. Thanks. Now everything is clear.

InvalidError said:
    The screwdriver 'method' is for shorting the power-button pins on the motherboard to toggle the motherboard's soft-on/off toggle circuitry which normally drives the PWR_ON pin on the ATX connector.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Green Components