Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"Shorting" a PSU ON To Test It ?

Last response: in Components
August 26, 2012 1:27:55 AM

Should the unit stay ON after transiently connecting green to ground? Or does it depend on the particular model? The PSU I tested would only stay on with a continuous connection. Once the jumper was pulled out, it would go OFF.

Thanks for setting a newbie straight.

Detail:
Tested a PSU using a multimeter - as per much online documentation and common sense. (And all voltages measured were within specs.)

One thing that I couldn't nail down was about starting and running the PSU by itself.

It's usually described as "shorting" the green Power On to Ground. Some sites described as "with a screwdriver" and others like jumping the pins with a paperclip (or short wire which I did and it worked fine).

More about : shorting psu test

Best solution

a c 667 ) Power supply
August 26, 2012 2:12:14 AM

Yes it is supposed to shut down if the connection is broken! All it does is to see if it turns on.
August 26, 2012 2:51:11 AM

Thanks for confirming. (Just couldn't reconcile the screwdriver vs. wire jumper images.)
Related resources
August 26, 2012 2:53:58 AM

Best answer selected by 123post.
a b ) Power supply
August 26, 2012 4:00:43 AM

123post said:
Thanks for confirming. (Just couldn't reconcile the screwdriver vs. wire jumper images.)

The screwdriver 'method' is for shorting the power-button pins on the motherboard to toggle the motherboard's soft-on/off toggle circuitry which normally drives the PWR_ON pin on the ATX connector.
August 26, 2012 8:09:40 PM

Thanks. Now everything is clear.

InvalidError said:
The screwdriver 'method' is for shorting the power-button pins on the motherboard to toggle the motherboard's soft-on/off toggle circuitry which normally drives the PWR_ON pin on the ATX connector.

!