Solved

Positive airflow (question)

Hello. I clean my computer regularly to prevent dust build up so i am interested in getting some fans to in my case for positive airflow. At the moment the only fans in my computer are the one on my CPU heatsink and my video card. My system runs cool and quite but the two fans suck in air/dust from the side panel.

My question is there is only two spots i can mount fans, One at the back on in the front. If i got 2 same fans and put on at the back and front it wouldn't be sucking in more air in than it's blowing out so can i just use a more powerful fan at the front and a slower rpm fan for the exhaust? Or do you need two fans sucking air in?

I have a couple more questions but i will wait for response. Thanks!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about positive airflow question
  1. Best answer
    Put a bigger fan in front as intake and smaller in the back for exhaust. Or use same size and put them on a fan controller. Anyway with out filters dust will make it in fan or no fan.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Put a bigger fan in front as intake and smaller in the back for exhaust. Or use same size and put them on a fan controller. Anyway with out filters dust will make it in fan or no fan.

Thanks. yea that was one of my other questions is about dust filters. I have seen a few products (all overpriced imo) But apparently you can use pantyhose on the intake fan and it works just as good as a normal dust filter and doesn't restrict air.

Another question i had was this is the side panel for my computrer: http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=864&tbm=isch&tbnid=YMujhbwsUvAskM:&imgrefurl=http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1201/AspireM1201mv.shtml&imgurl=http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1201/images/AspireM1201_MV.png&w=450&h=470&ei=E5A5ULzkOczFiwK16IDoDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=335&vpy=482&dur=65&hovh=229&hovw=220&tx=83&ty=134&sig=113851911823114788027&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=95&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:111

You can see it has a big vent with little holes on the side where most of the air is currently sucked in at the moment. I would have to cover that with something if i want to put a intake fan at the front and create positive air pressure but i don't have ideas how i can go about doing that.
  3. Put your homemade filter on it, just as long as you do not have negative pressure you are fine.
  4. rolli59 said:
    Put your homemade filter on it, just as long as you do not have negative pressure you are fine.

On the fan or side panel?
  5. rolli59 said:
    Anyway with out filters dust will make it in fan or no fan.

Dust will still make it in with filters unless you go with extremely fine stuff (like HEPA) that requires high static pressure to push air through. The 100-150 micron nylon mesh filters cases come with will only catch the more coarse dust but this is already enough to considerably slow down the rate of dust buildup inside a PC. Without the large dust particles to help bind dust together, dust bunnies grow much more slowly.
  6. Does anyone have a fan recommendation?
  7. Hmm i just looked in my case and there is only a plugin for CPU fan and one for a case fan =\
  8. You can use adapters and plug fans into spare molex from the PSU.
  9. Best answer selected by K K0.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Components