Hp pavillion dv9700 Vista

JDavidK

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hello,
I updated Vista (18 updates) last night when I shut down the system. When I tried to start the laptop today the led's blink on an then go of at once. Will not start up. Removed battery, HD, memory cards and no change?

firo40

Splendid
Is there not even a bios screen? or does the screen remain off at all times? If so then did u leave it on all night? becuase this has happened to me with my DV9000 and it literally overheated and fryed itself from just sitting on even though the vents wernt blocked and it was clean

JDavidK

Honorable
May 9, 2012

No it was off when I left it.

On a desktop you debug by pulling parts. On a laptop it's harder.

(1) what sounds do you hear when you power up? Is the CPU fan running? Are there any beeps? (if beeps then google 'beep codes' then check your manual for what the beeps mean).
(2) Do you have anything in the USB slots you can remove. Can you remove hard drive? Can you remove memory? Can you remove network mini-pci card? Etc. Pull parts until the laptop lights the screen up. "Removed battery, HD, memory cards and no change" yes, only more.
(3) Can you connect an external monitor? Your LCD video may have failed.
(4) Is there a reset sequence in your manual ? (you did the right thing removing power and battery and waiting, sorry that didn't help).