Can't format Smartmedia, "!Card error" MP3 player trashed ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 3, 2005 5:23:26 PM

Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.

The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
to be formatted FAT12.

I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.

This has to be a pervasive problem.
Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...

Thanks, mike
..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 3, 2005 6:17:41 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>
>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>to be formatted FAT12.
>
>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>
>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>
>Thanks, mike

A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
devices.
Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>>
>>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>>to be formatted FAT12.
>>
>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>>
>>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>>
>>Thanks, mike
>

> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
> devices.
> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
card reader.
Anything that works on something obtainable?
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 3, 2005 8:25:39 PM

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>by my mp3 player <snip>

>>Thanks, mike
>

> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
> devices.
> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

you might also try plugging the card into a reader and reformating the
card via the computer. if the camera can see it after that, let the
camera format the card again.

hope that helps

cheers
kat
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:49:02 AM

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in news:42C8493E.3050001@netscape.net:
> Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
> by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
> Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.

I don't know, but sometimes my Olympuses (three different models) have had
problems recognizing an SM card. Juggling the card in and out the camera a
couple of times have corrected the situation (I did throw away one card
that I thought was dead before I realized this). I don't know whether it is
a case of static electricity or the phase of the moon...

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm&gt;
Anonymous

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike wrote:

> I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
> that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
> I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.

There may be stuff on the card outside of the disk partition that
contains your formatted drive/volume. It could even be that the MP3
player messed up a perfectly fine disk volume by redefining whether
the partition is "Active" or not. There's probably an easier way to
obliterate all partition information, but I'm not familiar with the
Windows Way. If you have DOS device driver that would let you
access a card reader, or can get a PCMCIA slot to work, such as is
almost always found in laptops, the DOS program FDISK.COM could be
used to delete everything on the card and then recreate any
necessary partition. With luck, the camera might be able to
recognize the card if it contains no partitions.

But that's only a remote possibility. You'd probably have to use
FDISK to also recreate a partition and then add a logical volume
(the "letter"ed disk drive). The logical volume would have to be
formatted and some later versions of FDISK automatically do that for
you. Other versions require that you run a separate program
(FORMAT.COM) instead. If you could manage all that, I think that
your camera would then be able to recognize your memory cards.

If you don't have the resources to do any of this, your best bet
would be to find someone with a laptop computer, some bootable DOS
floppy disks, already set up with any necessary PCMCIA drivers in
CONFIG.SYS (and possibly AUTOEXEC.BAT). Then you'd just need a
suitable inexpensive PCMCIA card adapter to hold your SmartMedia
cards and someone at least slightly familiar with FDISK, or
determined enough to plow on regardless.
July 4, 2005 5:52:15 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike wrote:
>

>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>

> There may be stuff on the card outside of the disk partition that
> contains your formatted drive/volume. It could even be that the MP3
> player messed up a perfectly fine disk volume by redefining whether
> the partition is "Active" or not. There's probably an easier way to
> obliterate all partition information, but I'm not familiar with the
> Windows Way. If you have DOS device driver that would let you
> access a card reader, or can get a PCMCIA slot to work, such as is
> almost always found in laptops, the DOS program FDISK.COM could be
> used to delete everything on the card and then recreate any
> necessary partition. With luck, the camera might be able to
> recognize the card if it contains no partitions.
>
> But that's only a remote possibility. You'd probably have to use
> FDISK to also recreate a partition and then add a logical volume
> (the "letter"ed disk drive). The logical volume would have to be
> formatted and some later versions of FDISK automatically do that for
> you. Other versions require that you run a separate program
> (FORMAT.COM) instead. If you could manage all that, I think that
> your camera would then be able to recognize your memory cards.
>
> If you don't have the resources to do any of this, your best bet
> would be to find someone with a laptop computer, some bootable DOS
> floppy disks, already set up with any necessary PCMCIA drivers in
> CONFIG.SYS (and possibly AUTOEXEC.BAT). Then you'd just need a
> suitable inexpensive PCMCIA card adapter to hold your SmartMedia
> cards and someone at least slightly familiar with FDISK, or
> determined enough to plow on regardless.

Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12. Dos/windows
won't let me do that directly. There may be some command line numbers I
could punch in if I knew what they were.
As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.

With all this meesing around, being careful as I can, I still trashed
my only remaining "good" card. Sigh!!!

There's considerable written on the subject, but little actual solution.
Many dead links to "solutions".

I'll keep pluggin'
Thanks for help.

mike
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:11:33 AM

This problem was much discussed back when SM was still viable. I don't
recall the solution and am suprised Google is of little help. If I had this
problem (and I once did and fixed it...so keep hope alive) I would email
both Oly and the card manufacturer. I am sure they have heard of it. I think
it had something to do with the file system...but all that information that
was in my head had to go to make room for more current stuff.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:42:42 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:40:54 -0700, mike wrote:

> Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
> For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12. Dos/windows
> won't let me do that directly. There may be some command line numbers I
> could punch in if I knew what they were.

Why do you want to use FAT12?

> As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
> Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
> errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
> There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.

You're not being clear. Are the errors coming up when you're
modifying the partion(s) or formatting with Ranish, or afterwards,
when other programs try to access the cards?

Other than a few utilities, programs don't access the drives
directly, but use Windows to handle disk I/O. If you're getting
disk errors when running other programs, it's Windows that is having
problems accessing your card.

If there's stuff on the card that FDISK doesn't know about, don't
worry about it - it's perfectly capable of removing alien
partitions. You would then be able to create standard partitions
and logical drives that should be recognizable by both your computer
and also by your camera. But before you try that, FDISK, and
presumably Ranish, should be able to show you whether the memory
card contains a primary or an extended partition. If it's extended,
that could be the cause of your problem. I don't know if this
applies to all versions of Windows, but some, such as NT don't
recognize extended partitions when they're on removeable media.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:46:58 AM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:02:48 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>>>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>>>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>>>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>>>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>>>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>>>
>>>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>>>to be formatted FAT12.
>>>
>>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>>>
>>>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>>>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>>>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>>>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>>>
>>>Thanks, mike
>>

>> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
>> devices.
>> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
>> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/
>>

>Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
>card reader.
>Anything that works on something obtainable?
>mike

Ebay?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:04:43 PM

ASAAR wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:40:54 -0700, mike wrote:
>

>>Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
>>For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12. Dos/windows
>>won't let me do that directly. There may be some command line numbers I
>>could punch in if I knew what they were.

> Why do you want to use FAT12?

Perhaps that's the only thing the camera understands? My Olympus C700
is pretty picky about changes I make outside the camera.

>>As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
>>Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
>>errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
>>There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.

> You're not being clear. Are the errors coming up when you're
> modifying the partion(s) or formatting with Ranish, or afterwards,
> when other programs try to access the cards?
>
> Other than a few utilities, programs don't access the drives
> directly, but use Windows to handle disk I/O. If you're getting
> disk errors when running other programs, it's Windows that is having
> problems accessing your card.
>
> If there's stuff on the card that FDISK doesn't know about, don't
> worry about it - it's perfectly capable of removing alien
> partitions. You would then be able to create standard partitions
> and logical drives that should be recognizable by both your computer
> and also by your camera. But before you try that, FDISK, and
> presumably Ranish, should be able to show you whether the memory
> card contains a primary or an extended partition. If it's extended,
> that could be the cause of your problem. I don't know if this
> applies to all versions of Windows, but some, such as NT don't
> recognize extended partitions when they're on removeable media.

It would be interesting to zero the card under an OS that lets
you have your way with the hardware. For example, boot your PC
under a Tom's Root Boot Linux CD, insert the card, and say:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

(Careful! That assumes the card is the first "SCSI" disk! Know your
hardware!)

If Linux can't write zeros to the whole card, the card's likely bad.
If it can, put the card in the camera and see if you can format it.
If the camera still can't format it, plug it back into the PC and
use fdisk under tomsrtbt to create a partition table with one primary
partition and tag it as FAT12. Linux fdisk will let you do whatever
you want, although it might not do exactly what the camera wants. :-)

Good luck,

Paul Allen
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:02:07 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:04:43 -0700, Paul Allen wrote:

>> Why do you want to use FAT12?
>
> Perhaps that's the only thing the camera understands? My Olympus C700
> is pretty picky about changes I make outside the camera.

Possibly, but even if both cameras (Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji
2400Z) are really ancient as far as digital cameras are concerned,
they would have been sold and used long after FAT12 formats were
commonly used. So I think it likely that they'd be able to
understand both formats, FAT12 and FAT16. And it seems unusual that
FAT12 would be the only format usable by *both* cameras. According
to the OP, the problems seem to have arisen after the cards had been
"used in/formatted by my mp3 player". If the mp3 player created a
non-standard partition for its own use, and the cameras can't deal
with cards that have multiple partitions, they may only see the
(presumably) oddly formatted partition used by the mp3 player and
give up, ignoring the DOS/Windows FAT drive in a second partition.
Additionally, it would be worthwhile to check whether this drive was
created as "primary" vs. "extended". As I mentioned earlier,
removable drives are not supposed to contain extended partitions,
and if that's what is on the card, it could also be the reason why
the cameras don't recognize the partitions. I'ts too bad the cards
can't be reinitialized by passing a bulk tape eraser over them. :)
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:27:40 PM

Paul Allen wrote:

> ASAAR wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:40:54 -0700, mike wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
>>> For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12.
>>> Dos/windows won't let me do that directly. There may be some command
>>> line numbers I could punch in if I knew what they were.
>

>> Why do you want to use FAT12?
>

> Perhaps that's the only thing the camera understands? My Olympus C700
> is pretty picky about changes I make outside the camera.
>
>>> As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
>>> Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
>>> errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
>>> There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.
>

>> You're not being clear. Are the errors coming up when you're
>> modifying the partion(s) or formatting with Ranish, or afterwards,
>> when other programs try to access the cards?
>>
>> Other than a few utilities, programs don't access the drives
>> directly, but use Windows to handle disk I/O. If you're getting
>> disk errors when running other programs, it's Windows that is having
>> problems accessing your card.
>>
>> If there's stuff on the card that FDISK doesn't know about, don't
>> worry about it - it's perfectly capable of removing alien
>> partitions. You would then be able to create standard partitions
>> and logical drives that should be recognizable by both your computer
>> and also by your camera. But before you try that, FDISK, and
>> presumably Ranish, should be able to show you whether the memory
>> card contains a primary or an extended partition. If it's extended,
>> that could be the cause of your problem. I don't know if this
>> applies to all versions of Windows, but some, such as NT don't
>> recognize extended partitions when they're on removeable media.
>

> It would be interesting to zero the card under an OS that lets
> you have your way with the hardware. For example, boot your PC
> under a Tom's Root Boot Linux CD, insert the card, and say:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
>
> (Careful! That assumes the card is the first "SCSI" disk! Know your
> hardware!)
>
> If Linux can't write zeros to the whole card, the card's likely bad.
> If it can, put the card in the camera and see if you can format it.
> If the camera still can't format it, plug it back into the PC and
> use fdisk under tomsrtbt to create a partition table with one primary
> partition and tag it as FAT12. Linux fdisk will let you do whatever
> you want, although it might not do exactly what the camera wants. :-)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Paul Allen

Hi...

Another way to accomplish much the same thing if the op is
more comfortable with windows would be to open the card
as a physical device (I'm assuming it doesn't show up as
a logical device) with a hex editor such as winhex.

He should then be able to write all the 0's he likes anywhere
he likes. :)

Take care.

Ken
July 5, 2005 7:57:45 AM

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:02:48 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>Bill Funk wrote:

>>>A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
>>>devices.
>>>Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
>>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/
>>>

>>Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
>>card reader.
>>Anything that works on something obtainable?
>>mike
>

> Ebay?

Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
retains.
I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.

With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
the magic incantations yet.

The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".

They seem intent on
forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
what to edit onto the card.

What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.

mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 5, 2005 8:07:34 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:04:43 -0700, Paul Allen wrote:
>

>>> Why do you want to use FAT12?
>>
>>Perhaps that's the only thing the camera understands? My Olympus C700
>>is pretty picky about changes I make outside the camera.
>

> Possibly, but even if both cameras (Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji
> 2400Z) are really ancient as far as digital cameras are concerned,
> they would have been sold and used long after FAT12 formats were
> commonly used. So I think it likely that they'd be able to
> understand both formats, FAT12 and FAT16. And it seems unusual that
> FAT12 would be the only format usable by *both* cameras. According
> to the OP, the problems seem to have arisen after the cards had been
> "used in/formatted by my mp3 player". If the mp3 player created a
> non-standard partition for its own use, and the cameras can't deal
> with cards that have multiple partitions, they may only see the
> (presumably) oddly formatted partition used by the mp3 player and
> give up, ignoring the DOS/Windows FAT drive in a second partition.
> Additionally, it would be worthwhile to check whether this drive was
> created as "primary" vs. "extended". As I mentioned earlier,
> removable drives are not supposed to contain extended partitions,
> and if that's what is on the card, it could also be the reason why
> the cameras don't recognize the partitions. I'ts too bad the cards
> can't be reinitialized by passing a bulk tape eraser over them. :)

There's been a lot of bits flying by the bus these last two days.
I'm not exactly sure how I got where I am, but I've got 128MB FAT16
cards working in the Fuji2400z and 64MB FAT12 cards working in the
Olympus D-510 Zoom. Signs point to the fact that the Olympus may not
be able to understand FAT16.

At this point, the cards are recognized ONLY as logical devices by
winhex. I did something that caused the "physical device" options
to dissapear. I've loaded so many usb card reader
drivers/utilities/recovery applications that I'm surprised my computer
still runs at all.
So, the current quest is for a method to get FAT12 at 128MB.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 5, 2005 12:54:49 PM

mike wrote:

> With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
> get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
> Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
> It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
> the magic incantations yet.
>
> The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
> entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>
> They seem intent on
> forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
> what to edit onto the card.
>
> What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.

Wow! Is this thread still going on? I guess I'm not used to using
operating systems that force you to use a hex editor just to format
a device.

On Linux, an incantation like this will apparently create a FAT12
filesystem on whatever device you name, no matter how obsolete or
ridiculous it may be to do that:

mkdosfs -F 12 /dev/sda1

But, as I recall, the old FAT12 filesystem had 12-bit pointers and
a 4K max blocksize. The largest FAT12 filesystem is 16MB. FAT16
supports block sizes between 2K and 32K, for a maximum size of 2GB.
If your camera claims to support 128MB cards, it's either using
FAT16 or some really weird variant of FAT12 that only the camera
knows how to write.

Paul Allen
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:54:37 PM

mike wrote:

> Bill Funk wrote:

>>> Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
>>> card reader.
>>> Anything that works on something obtainable?
>>> mike
>>

>> Ebay?
>>

> Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
> retains.
> I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
> Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.
>
> With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
> get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
> Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
> It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
> the magic incantations yet.
>
> The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
> entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>
> They seem intent on
> forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
> what to edit onto the card.
>
> What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.
>
> mike

Hi...

As for the card reader that you were looking for, I *think* this
might be what you're looking for to run the third party
formatting utilities.

Remember, though, that it's a high level formatter, seriously
doubt that it'll help you.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4...

And I absolutely guarantee that the 510 likes 128 meg cards.

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:09:21 PM

In article <42CA69F6.60909@netscape.net>, spamme0@netscape.net wrote:

> There's been a lot of bits flying by the bus these last two days.
> I'm not exactly sure how I got where I am, but I've got 128MB FAT16
> cards working in the Fuji2400z and 64MB FAT12 cards working in the
> Olympus D-510 Zoom. Signs point to the fact that the Olympus may not
> be able to understand FAT16.

Mike-

I had a problem with one Smart Card go bad, and wasn't able to format it
in the camera. After trying several utilities, I eventually succeeded in
formating the card on the computer using a card reader. Whatever error
had been on the card was apparently corrected, and it could then be
formatted in the camera with no further problems.

It may be possible that the two cameras do use a different format. Are
you trying to force one to be different in order to use the same card
interchangeably between the two?

If you format the card in the camera, that is the format it uses. Ditto
for the other camera. What am I missing?

Fred
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:30:07 PM

mike wrote:

<snip>

> At this point, the cards are recognized ONLY as logical devices by
> winhex. I did something that caused the "physical device" options
> to dissapear. I've loaded so many usb card reader
> drivers/utilities/recovery applications that I'm surprised my computer
> still runs at all.
> So, the current quest is for a method to get FAT12 at 128MB.
> mike

Hi...

I'm kinda suspicious that you mis-typed and have the physical
and logical backwards - but if that's truly the case, and you
have a know good 128 card, you might wanna try winhex's
clone disk option?

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:14:20 PM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:57:45 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>>>Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
>>>card reader.
>>>Anything that works on something obtainable?
>>>mike
>>

>> Ebay?
>>

>Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
>retains.
>I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
>Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.
>
>With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
>get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
>Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
>It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
>the magic incantations yet.
>
>The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
>entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>
>They seem intent on
>forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
>what to edit onto the card.
>
>What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.
>
>mike

Maybe what you need is another SM card or two.
There's a lot of trouble being gone through, and not a small amount of
angst, for something that costs under $30, shipped.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
July 5, 2005 11:40:55 PM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> mike wrote:
>
>> Bill Funk wrote:

>>> Ebay?
>>>

>> Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
>> retains.
>> I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
>> Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.
>>
>> With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
>> get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
>> Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
>> It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
>> the magic incantations yet.
>>
>> The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
>> entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>>
>> They seem intent on
>> forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
>> what to edit onto the card.
>>
>> What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.
>>
>> mike
>>

> Hi...
>
> As for the card reader that you were looking for, I *think* this
> might be what you're looking for to run the third party
> formatting utilities.
>
> Remember, though, that it's a high level formatter, seriously
> doubt that it'll help you.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4...
>

> And I absolutely guarantee that the 510 likes 128 meg cards.

That's good news. Are these Olympus specific cards or generic?
Is there any way to learn what's in the boot sector of a working card?
I could winhex it in and see if that works.
Is it possible that the camera firmware got updated to handle 128MB
cards and mine isn't?

I've learned a lot more over the past few days.
With Winhex and the Alcormicro USB flash reader, I seem to be able to
successfully modify the contents of the SmartMedia card.

I loaded a Knoppix Live CD and mkdosfs -F 12 /dev/sda1 claims to have
made me a FAT 12 file system. I can stick the card back into win98SE.
It is recognized as a 128MB disk and I can read/write it.
It works without reformatting in the Fuji 2400Z.
Ranish partition manager cannot determine the format "error determining
hard disk parameters" and stops there.
Winhex finds both the physical and logical disks. Claims to be FAT12,
but I'm never quite sure how that's determined. There's a text field
that says FAT12, but that may or may not be consistent with the other
data. As I understand it, 128MB is WAY outside the normal maximum for a
FAT12 file system.

Now, I stick the card into the Olympus D-510. It gives me only the
option to format the card. Format runs for a few seconds then gives a
"card error".
If I stick it back into win98SE, it comes up as a 315K disk that's full.
Winhex shows the boot sector is wiped. This has been the end result of
all my experiments after attempting format 128MB in the Olympus D-510.

I keep coming back to an evil conspiracy by Olympus to require me to buy
their 'magic' smartmedia cards. I keep telling myself it will all be
better if I find the magic incantation.

Thanks, guys for all your inputs.
mike

> Take care.
>
> Ken

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 5, 2005 11:55:35 PM

Fred McKenzie wrote:
> In article <42CA69F6.60909@netscape.net>, spamme0@netscape.net wrote:
>

>>There's been a lot of bits flying by the bus these last two days.
>>I'm not exactly sure how I got where I am, but I've got 128MB FAT16
>>cards working in the Fuji2400z and 64MB FAT12 cards working in the
>>Olympus D-510 Zoom. Signs point to the fact that the Olympus may not
>>be able to understand FAT16.
>

> Mike-
>
> I had a problem with one Smart Card go bad, and wasn't able to format it
> in the camera. After trying several utilities, I eventually succeeded in
> formating the card on the computer using a card reader. Whatever error
> had been on the card was apparently corrected, and it could then be
> formatted in the camera with no further problems.
>
> It may be possible that the two cameras do use a different format. Are
> you trying to force one to be different in order to use the same card
> interchangeably between the two?
>
> If you format the card in the camera, that is the format it uses. Ditto
> for the other camera. What am I missing?
>
> Fred

You're missing the fact that the Fuji works with FAT12 OR FAT16 128MB
cards without problems. I'm not trying to interchange. The major
reason for mentioning the Fuji at all is to "prove" that I'm not doing
something horribly wrong and that the card is probably NOT defective
'cause it works in the Fuji. Fuji is the "control" in the experiments.

I'd be perfectly happy to have a 128MB card that only works in the
Olympus and will alow me to get the pictures off in a USB card reader
under win98SE.

The Olympus D-510 refuses to format a 128MB card no matter what initial
condition I put it in. FAT12, FAT16, BLANK, preformatted with dos,
preformatted with Linux, not formatted at all, repartitioned with
Ranish, Cloned from a backup file presumably made from a virgin card
with winhex downloaded from the link mentioned earlier in this thread.

It's notable that most of the links claiming to solve the problem were
created before you could even get 128MB cards.

There's something magic that the Olympus D-510 camera expects on a
128MB smartmedia card in order to successfully format it.

And I'm still thrashing around in the haystack looking for it.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 6, 2005 12:07:39 AM

Bill Funk wrote:

>>>Ebay?
>>>

>>Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
>>retains.
>>I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
>>Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.
>>
>>With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
>>get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
>>Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
>>It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
>>the magic incantations yet.
>>
>>The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
>>entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>>
>>They seem intent on
>>forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
>>what to edit onto the card.
>>
>>What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.
>>
>>mike
>

> Maybe what you need is another SM card or two.
> There's a lot of trouble being gone through, and not a small amount of
> angst, for something that costs under $30, shipped.

REALITY CHECK!!!
Yes, you're right...but that wouldn't be any fun. Angst is my middle
name...
Trashed SmartMedia cards seems to be a pervasive problem. Let's fix it ;-)

And replacing 3 cards is $90. And I have no way to fix those after
they get trashed.

And the overriding consideration...I'm the cheapest SOB on the planet.
The Olympus is a $2 garage sale camera that easily exceeds my picture
taking needs. The major advantage to the Olympus is that it has a
diopter adjustment and I can actually see what's in the viewfinder.
The 128MB card would let me save the pix at the highest resolution and
worry about it later. I have a workable solution with the 64MB cards,
I'd just like to get the 128MB working. Unfinished tasks cause me angst ;-)

Thanks, guys, for hanging in there with me. Couldn't have gotten this
far without you.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 6, 2005 7:10:48 AM

mike wrote:
> [...]
> Winhex finds both the physical and logical disks. Claims to be FAT12,
> but I'm never quite sure how that's determined. There's a text field
> that says FAT12, but that may or may not be consistent with the other
> data. As I understand it, 128MB is WAY outside the normal maximum for a
> FAT12 file system.
>
> Now, I stick the card into the Olympus D-510. It gives me only the
> option to format the card. Format runs for a few seconds then gives a
> "card error".
> If I stick it back into win98SE, it comes up as a 315K disk that's full.
> Winhex shows the boot sector is wiped. This has been the end result of
> all my experiments after attempting format 128MB in the Olympus D-510.
>
> I keep coming back to an evil conspiracy by Olympus to require me to buy
> their 'magic' smartmedia cards. I keep telling myself it will all be

Hi...

That missing 64 megs is well known and covered in
Microsoft's KB. Appears it's a math error in
conversion from 16 bit to 12 bit. (12 as you well know
is still supported for floppies). There's a fix available from
Microsoft.

Another thought came to mind. Do you own Acronis True Image?

Seeing you can see it as a logical disk, wonder what might
happen if I made a .tib of a perfectly operating Oly
card, with say one or two pics on it, and you restored it
to your card?

I could try it myself; I have a coupla 32 meg cards that
insist they're 4 megs. Except I can't see them as logical
devices. :(

Take care.

Ken
July 6, 2005 6:13:23 PM

mike wrote:
> Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
> by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
> Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
> I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
> I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
> still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
> a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>
> The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
> to be formatted FAT12.
>
> I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
> that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC
> chip.
> I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>
> This has to be a pervasive problem.
> Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
> Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
> Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>
> Thanks, mike

I am truly an idiot!!
The solution to my problem has two parts.

Part I
There's a program that came with the MP3 player called "wipe"
What they don't really tell you is that it also restores the
original formatting so you can use the card in your digital camera
and it's recognized by your PC.
PART II
When I cleaned the card slot in the camera, the 128MB card started working.

I have no idea what was going on with the FAT12 stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 6, 2005 7:26:18 PM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:07:39 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:

>>>Yep, but there hasn't been one sold there for as long as the archive
>>>retains.
>>>I did find a commercial product with hardware and software to do the job.
>>>Only costs about 4X what the cards are worth.
>>>
>>>With a hexeditor and a generous helping of google, I've managed to
>>>get 128MB FAT16 cards working on a Fuji 2400Z.
>>>Best I've been able to do on the Olympus D510Zoom is 64MB FAT12.
>>>It's apparently possible to do FAT12 at 128MB, but I haven't discovered
>>>the magic incantations yet.
>>>
>>>The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
>>>entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".
>>>
>>>They seem intent on
>>>forcing you to buy their cards. I'm not optimistic about discovering
>>>what to edit onto the card.
>>>
>>>What I need is the equivalent of fdisk for smart media cards.
>>>
>>>mike
>>

>> Maybe what you need is another SM card or two.
>> There's a lot of trouble being gone through, and not a small amount of
>> angst, for something that costs under $30, shipped.
>>

>REALITY CHECK!!!
>Yes, you're right...but that wouldn't be any fun. Angst is my middle
>name...
>Trashed SmartMedia cards seems to be a pervasive problem. Let's fix it ;-)
>
>And replacing 3 cards is $90. And I have no way to fix those after
>they get trashed.

You know what trashed them.
Don't use them in the MP3 player.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:08:02 PM

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> writes:

> Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
> by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
> Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
> I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
> I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
> still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
> a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>
> The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears to be
> formatted FAT12.
>
> I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
> that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
> I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>
> This has to be a pervasive problem.
> Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
> Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
> Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...

If you have an older SM card reader, it usually came with software called
SMPREP. If you use SMPREP on a Windows computer that running something earlier
than Windows XP/SP2, SMPREP can do a full format of the SM card, and often
times bring it back to life. Unfortunately something changed in Windows
XP/SP2, and SMPREP no longer runs.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> writes:

> The Olympus D510 datasheet claims to support 128MB cards, but it's
> entirely possible that it was "wishful thinking".

The D-510Z supports 128MB cards. My daughter in fact used it this last
weekend.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:35:15 PM

In article <42CB4827.1070602@netscape.net>, spamme0@netscape.net wrote:

> The Olympus D-510 refuses to format a 128MB card no matter what initial
> condition I put it in. FAT12, FAT16, BLANK, preformatted with dos,
> preformatted with Linux, not formatted at all, repartitioned with
> Ranish, Cloned from a backup file presumably made from a virgin card
> with winhex downloaded from the link mentioned earlier in this thread.
>
> It's notable that most of the links claiming to solve the problem were
> created before you could even get 128MB cards.
>
> There's something magic that the Olympus D-510 camera expects on a
> 128MB smartmedia card in order to successfully format it.

Mike-

What is missing is most likely a firmware update for the camera. I recall
that Olympus had an update program for several models a few years back.
It may have come in the middle of the production run for the D-510, so
some have it already.

Fred
!