paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I'm building a new computer and am basically looking to play games on it, and need to choose a widescreen monitor for it. I could use some advice, I really want widescreen because after using it for so long with my Mac, I would like to stick with it. I've been looking between a 19" Viewsonic 1912wb, the Ben Q 202W and either the 19" or 20" Acer. I know that there are some spec differences, but I was leaning twards the Ben Q because it can be purchased for around $280 and has digital inputs also. Is that $80 jump worth it from the viewsonic or the Acer to the Ben Q? Any input would be great, or other suggestions. Thanks,

Paul

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
i would look at dell's 20.1" widescreen. it has everything u could ever want. 4 usb ports on it, height/tilt adjustable stand. and its on sale for like 350 or so. im really thinking about getting it. its also gotten the best reviews ive seen for a widescreen lcd. benq's got mediocre reviews. the only thing i want to warn u about, is that some games rnt widescreen compatible...so they might look distorted. just lettin u know

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I have a Dell 2005FPW and a Viewsonic 1219wb... and I really like the Viewsonic a lot. Even though the Dell has a USB hub, multiple position height stand and a higher resolution ( it's a 20" ) I like the 19" Viewsonic more. I use it for gaming and the colour is bright and vibrant. At around $200 it's a great price compared to the $380 I paid for the Dell about a year ago. I don't use the onboard sound on the 1912wb because I like better stereo separation, but it's a nice monitor and the colour and brightness seem more uniform than the Dell. That might just be down to how quality of flat panels have come along in the past year. I also notice that the 20" requires a bit more horsepower in the graphics dept. So if your system is not running a good video card, you might get better frame rates on a 19". I hope this helps.

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have the DELL 24" wide screen and it is one of the very best monitors I have ever owned or seen. Everyone who sees how sharp it is and how well it handles color just stands there and says WOW. Great for gaming. Zero complaints. You cannot go wrong with the 2405FPW

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
i would look at dell's 20.1" widescreen. it has everything u could ever want. 4 usb ports on it, height/tilt adjustable stand. and its on sale for like 350 or so. im really thinking about getting it. its also gotten the best reviews ive seen for a widescreen lcd. benq's got mediocre reviews. the only thing i want to warn u about, is that some games rnt widescreen compatible...so they might look distorted. just lettin u know

WOW the Dell is the worst one you can purchase!!! It has banding issues!!! Do the research on it. I have the Gateway 21 inch widescreen, and god it is awsome!!!!!! go to gateway.com I have the DVi hooked up and boy it this monitor best bang for the buck!

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
There are more feature rich monitors, but if you're looking for a lot of bang for the buck, consider the Acer 19" WS. You can find them for under $200 if you shop around a little.

I recently bought one and I'm very pleased. Great contrast and brightness with no dead pixels.

I'm not a gamer so I can't speak to how it performs in that environment.

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
well...ive never used the 20" screen from dell..but the 19" ive used nver had aproblem....and besides, the gateway is also 500...compared to 360....o and another thing. the dell doesnt suck.....and pc magazine says so....4.5/5 and the editor's choice....y dont YOU do ur research pal

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks for all the input, I've heard good things about the new Dell monitors, but I really would like to stay under $300. The 19" Gateway WS LCD seems like a good deal because it does have DVI, which the Acer does not. The Viewsonic, really does have my eye because the price you really can't beat. Is it worth jumping up 80 bucks for the Gateway or the BenQ?

Thanks,

Paul

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
well...ive never used the 20" screen from dell..but the 19" ive used nver had aproblem....and besides, the gateway is also 500...compared to 360....o and another thing. the dell doesnt suck.....and pc magazine says so....4.5/5 and the editor's choice....y dont YOU do ur research pal

See I did the research and you better go to the Dell Forums!!!!! Everyone is returning them with there banding issues! They even came up with a new revision for the Dell 20inch but it still is having problems! I was going to buy the Dell but after hearing how bad they are playing movies and games I went looking for something else. Also I purchased my gateway for 450.00 from circuit city. They honored their internet price! Which is cool. Also when you compare a 19inch monitor to a anything bigger it is like comparing apples to oranges. They are Both monitors but have much different variables. The gatway has 1680 x 1050 resolution. The more pixels you can fit into a screen the better. I wanted to purchase the Dell 20inch widescreen or the 24 inch. But after reading reviews I changed my mind. You can't read just one review and say it is a good monitor! Anywho gateway is the best bang for the buck. If you are going to want to play movies or games, I suggest you get the better monitor. If you are going to just surf the web then you need nothing bigger than a 17 inch.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=54714
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=54714&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=56038&query.id=157673#M56038
http://www.digg.com/hardware/Dell_2007WFP_Experiencing_Severe_Banding_on_Gradients
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2007WFP/4505-3174_7-31783769.html read customer reviews

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I've owned both the BenQ FP202W and the Viewsonic VX2025wm, and I prefer the Viewsonic. Image quality was great on both, and 1680 x 1050 is a great resolution. No ghosting on either monitor in fast-paced deathmatches like UT with the gamespeed turned up.

The BenQ uses about twice the power as the Viewsonic, however, so the Viewsonic produces much less heat. That's why I sold the BenQ to a friend and picked up the Viewsonic.

20" is great for everything I do, which includes different types of gaming (I play UT, WoW, and other games), movies, writing papers, and some coding. It's really handy to have a browser and a document open at the same time.

Now, an LCD won't show blacks as well as a CRT, but I haven't really noticed too many problems with dark games like FEAR. Looks great once you get it working at 1680 x 1050. And a 7900GT drives that resolution perfectly at high detail levels.

My only qualm with the Viewsonic is the speakers. They really suck. They're very quiet. Great if you're a fan, but not if you're a speaker. Just don't plug them in. Fortunately, they don't show up on the front, so you can't tell there are speakers in the monitor.