Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS SC solo or SLI with older card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2012 1:38:08 PM

So I'm very inexperienced when it comes SLI and what are the requirements when it comes to running 2 cards at once. I just picked up a GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked and will be installing it in my PC later today. I've been using a GTS 250. Am I able to run the 250 for physix and the 560 for graphics? Or am I only able to run the 560 solo?
a c 214 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 1:48:37 PM

You can run it in PhysX but it's kind of a waste.At best you'll see a 5-10% increase in performance than just using the GTX560ti by itself.But the game your playing will have to support PhysX.

What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

If you've got a good power supply and don't mind the extra wattage you might as well.Faster is faster.But I've been reading around and their aren't very many PhysX supported games.
March 6, 2012 2:12:00 PM

Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz)
6GB DDR3
GeForce GTS 250
800w PSU
2TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 2:26:22 PM

What brand is your PSU?

You should be fine on power if you really wanted to.But you just need to ask yourself if it's justified for the performance you gain.
March 6, 2012 2:32:09 PM

It's an older Rosewill PSU, can't think of the model off the top of my head.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 2:45:30 PM

Rosewill.......All i know is if your system has power issues. Its your Power Supply. Rosewill cases are ok and decent but their PSU's look a little skimpy.
a c 212 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 3:19:49 PM

The 250 will do a fine job handling the PhysX portion of the load. The 560 Ti is beefy enough to handle it without but it will run noticeably better freed of the PhysX load. Not like your spending money to go out and buy it so might as well use it.

But using PhysX card is not SLI. SLI is two identical cards connected by an SLI bridge. You won't be using a bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

a c 214 U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 3:21:32 PM

Rosewill makes some good PSU's but not all of them are good/high quality.It's mostly the lower end stuff you should worry about from them.But if it's a older model I might question it because they haven't always made the higher tier PSU's quality units.

This wouldn't be it is it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!