Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD 4650 only running at 4x?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2012 1:44:35 PM

So my fiance purchased this HP Pavillion e9240f, it works great but I want to run a few games on it. I don't care about quality all that much so this card does fine that came with it. As of right now I don't have the money to purchase a better card so I'm hoping to fix this problem, if there is one.

I've oc'd the card a bit just to get it to run well with TESV:Skyrim on the lowest settings. No mods, some mods, all mods and others that try to help with lighting or shadows and nothing seems to help run it at 30 fps or better with all settings turned to the lowest and in windowed mode. I started wondering if this was a problem with the machine because a friend of mine can do a good 30 fps with the same card.

This is why I've come to you. Some testing with burn and stress programs and I found that the card is only running at 4x mode. I've researched into the specs of the motherboard and no one else has this problem and the motherboard has 16x mode, GPU-Z shows it in a 16x PCI-E slot but only running in 4x.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

More about : 4650 running

March 6, 2012 2:13:28 PM

I can't seem to understand why it would not run on 16x, could you give a screenshot of this evidence? Snipping tool, if you run win7, might help.

On other note, is this card works fine with any other game titles you ever tried? If it does, it may actually was what it could perform best for Skyrim.

Or you just need a driver update.
Score
March 6, 2012 2:33:02 PM

The ATI drivers are 12.1 already, and the operating system is Win7 x64.

Here is the screenshot.

Score
Related resources
March 6, 2012 3:03:24 PM

It's fine.

It's not a glitch or something is broken. Have you ever tried to put your mouse pointer the the column that has the [?] emphasis? It stated that it will show the system bus interface. FYI, that means your GPU has gone into power saving mode, thus decelerates itself to do so. Try some serious gaming on background and do GPUZ again on that title active on your desktop by windowed mode.

Skyrim just taxing too much on 4650, and this card simply can't bear it. That simple.
Score
March 6, 2012 3:07:16 PM

Yes I did see the information mark on the right and have tested it as well. It goes from x4 1.1 to x4 2.0 and never into x8 or x16. I have FurMark 1.9.1 and have done burn-in tests and still nothing. x4 2.0 seems to be the highest it shows.
Score

Best solution

a b α HP
March 6, 2012 3:10:10 PM

First, OCing a HD4650 is probably not wise. It is simply not designed for OCing.

Try this, shut the system down and remove the HD4650 from the system. Make sure no foreign objects are in the PCIe slot. If so, remove it. If not, re-install the video card making sure to seat it firmly.

Restart the system. BTW, revert to stock speeds as well. Then, check Catalyst to see what speed it reports for video card.

Good luck!
March 6, 2012 3:27:21 PM

Here is what my sister's send to me of my old 4650 still up and running at my parents home :

It shows as the same you are, but I recall having no problems at all. It works on the level it should. Heck, I even forgot to get the poor thing on stock speeds again for years now, and it still running okay. So I guess you are good, really.

I guess Skyrim is just too much for this old chip.
Score
March 6, 2012 3:36:11 PM

My first screenshot of GPU-Z shows that it is running at stocks speeds as I thought that may be an issue as well.

Anyways, the removing and blowing out the slot, and then reseating of the card seems to have done the trick.

Here is my new GPU-Z screenshot as of 1 minute ago after said fix.

Thanks everyone for the help :]
Score
March 6, 2012 3:42:59 PM

The 4650 probably won't be bottlenecked by an x4 2.0 link anyway. That card is just too slow. Even the mighty 6990 can't max out an x8 link.
Score
March 6, 2012 3:46:46 PM

Oh my, now you got me curious...I guess something does happens to my old rig over the past few years :( 
Score
a b α HP
March 6, 2012 3:51:25 PM

rush21hit said:
Oh my, now you got me curious...I guess something does happens to my old rig over the past few years :( 

Not really, crud can get into slots when not used and was likely there when the GPU was installed. Not all that uncommon.

Happens with unused memory slots as well.
Score
March 6, 2012 3:51:31 PM

As of right now I am playing Skyrim at over 30 fps full screen with low-med settings. No FXAA/2AA/2AF with 4-5 fade on everything. I'd say the x4/x16 made the difference :]
Score
March 6, 2012 4:21:12 PM

Best answer selected by Byakko.
Score
March 6, 2012 4:21:24 PM

Byakko said:
As of right now I am playing Skyrim at over 30 fps full screen with low-med settings. No FXAA/2AA/2AF with 4-5 fade on everything. I'd say the x4/x16 made the difference :]

Good to know it works well for you now. Enjoy your gaming, mate!

Cheers :D 

COLGeek said:
Not really, crud can get into slots when not used and was likely there when the GPU was installed. Not all that uncommon.

Happens with unused memory slots as well.

I see...

I remember when the last time I leave them for my sister, it was at the top condition I could manage it. Cleaned all the dust ( I do it with my old man's small compressor air pump ), downgrade the CPU overclock to stock , and take off the twin 2x2GB 1333 DDR2 and replacing them with a single 2GB 667mhz ( which now I learned she doubles it with another 2GB but on 800mhz,duh. On the CPUZ she sent it does report Dual Channel mode, but I got a bad feeling about this :(  ).

And apparently I forgot to downlclock the GPU...and it's been almost a couple years since my last touch on that thing. Looks like my sister do as I said her to do, updates everything up at least once in 3 months, I can tell by the driver version she puts on the GPU.

Well..maybe not exactly the top performance, since I put away the obvious better memory, but I suppose we all know how most women tends to deal with electronics, and judging my sister... I just don't want to risk my rare-hard earned RAM.
Score
!