New build Gaming/Video Around $1500 (or less)

Greetings Earth Clan,

Approximate Purchase Date: Start asap... BUT can certainly wait up to several weeks if some MUST-HAVE game changing
component around corner

Budget Range: $1500ish IF Needed to solidify quality experience and future-proof as much as possible
Don't want to mess too much with upgrading, in year or two, but WILL if wiser investment-wise....

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (UNCOMPROMISED SETTINGS 1920),
Video/photo Editing, BluRay Movies, Internet


Parts Not Required: Only have a Monitor now (Dell Ultrasharp 2411h if I recall correctly)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Wherever CHEAPEST/best deal! Do like New Egg...

Country: US

Parts Preferences: Only if does NOT contradict an otherwise much better option...
Prefer mfr's with solid support/reliability/warranty.
Also frequent driver/firmware updates and easy to use support websites


Overclocking: Maybe, when helps delay upgrades (post warranty)?

SLI or Crossfire: No *** Not if 'MICRO-STUTTER' is the problem it seems to be (I'm REALLY PICKY about Visual Quality!)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: These are just preferences, don't know enough to have set in stone wants...
Also DO NOT WANT TO SPOOK OFF ADVISE by seeming too picky; JUST HELPING YOU HELP ME as much as possible!

Want an IVY BRIDGE cpu (I'm pretty sure? if sandy bridge wiser please explain)
Mobo: pcie 3.0 compatible for sure.

Case: FRONT USB 3.0. Would like a little bling eg window/led lights, ect. Plan to use for a while w upgrades.

PSU: Want to support next gen gpu upgrade. Won't be able to afford upgrading multiple components at one time
Possibly modular for ease of build with my first time (not a must though)

GPU: Top priority is Uncompromising gaming for foreseeable future... Leary of micro stutter so CF/SLI best avoided.
Very concerned with this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Sweeney-Unreal-Engine-UE4,15571.html
Should I get a mid level gpu (still capable of playing max settings for foreseeable future) and plan on replacing when Unreal 4 engine and others are requiring next gen gpu's? Basically not get too invested in a current gpu, even the keplar's will then be the lowest capable, don't want that!!! Does that article basically point at anything above mid level gpu, that can max current games, will be an absolute waste of money in near future?

Video Output: am very intrigued by idea of playing pc games on my tv! My tv is in same room, but maybe 12'-15' away.
The tv is also an older crt 4:3 that can only do 1080i, is that a deal breaker as far as gaming output on?
Anyone briefly explain options for gaming output on tv (Don't want this to take over the priority desktop
build advice, can start different thread [on this] if needed)

Hard Drives: Open to possible SSD/Mechanical Mass Storage if price:performance factor is there and with-in budget.?
(Not sure what the mechanical hdd prices are currently after the floods or if anyone has any idea of near future
price drops coming? Please advise because I'd like to add a second hdd for backups and media, but could
certainly wait if prices likely to go back to pre-flood levels anytime this summer)

BluRay: Would like if it can fit within budget?

Thanks for your help!
6 answers Last reply
More about build gaming video 1500 less
  1. 2500k
    GTX 670/ GTX 580
    120 GB SSD + 1TB WD HDD or 256 GB Crucial ssd for 200$ with a 500-750 gb HDD
    750 watt PSU etc etc. Others can recommend other stuff. ASUS makes good Motherboards. I am at work currently and can't fill out a full on build list but thats pretty much what you need to know


    Can yout ell me what games your gonna be playing?
  2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257 $129.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6821 <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    or...

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-9011012-WW/dp/B005E983JW/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336600642&sr=1-6 $116.16 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

    http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-case.html <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    or...

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-Computer/dp/B0055Q7BR4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336600642&sr=1-4 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

    http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case.html <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703036 $89.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate card 15% off w/ promo code PCPMK15OFF, ends 5/21
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910387 $354.98 save: $15.00
    ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro4 <----- another look at that board

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K $34.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186 $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191 $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336601215&sr=1-5 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XIM3QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A30YNTVQ04HG16 $71.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236 $102.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211588 $104.99 FREE SHIPPING
    ADATA S510 Series AS510S3-120GM-O 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=pd_sim_pc_20 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600315498&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20600%20series <---- gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.
  3. Very concerned with this article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Sweeney-Unreal-Engine-UE4,15571.html

    Should I get a mid level gpu (still capable of playing max settings for foreseeable future) and plan on replacing when Unreal 4 engine and others are requiring next gen gpu's?

    Basically not get too invested in a current gpu, even the keplar's will then be the lowest capable, don't want that!!! Does that article basically point at anything above mid level gpu, that can max current games, will be an absolute waste of money in near future?
  4. Why_Me said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257 $129.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6821 <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    or...

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-CC-9011012-WW/dp/B005E983JW/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336600642&sr=1-6 $116.16 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

    http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-case.html <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    or...

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-Computer/dp/B0055Q7BR4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336600642&sr=1-4 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

    http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case.html <----- another look at that case w/reviews

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703036 $89.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate card 15% off w/ promo code PCPMK15OFF, ends 5/21
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910387 $354.98 save: $15.00
    ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro4 <----- another look at that board

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K $34.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186 $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191 $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546 $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336601215&sr=1-5 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XIM3QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A30YNTVQ04HG16 $71.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe SH-B123L/BSBP

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236 $102.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

    or...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211588 $104.99 FREE SHIPPING
    ADATA S510 Series AS510S3-120GM-O 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=pd_sim_pc_20 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600315498&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20GTX%20600%20series <---- gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.


    ***** Thanks for time and knowledge shared. I really do appreciate it!
    Have some other questions.... Tried to color code little to ease confusion

    A1[GPU selection]
    -
    -gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.

    what of the gpu article and my concerns posted in previous reply [unreal 4 engine not going to work with current gen gpu's, except the keplars. But then current keplar would be absolute lowest and that's not performance to me]?
    Article referencing: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Sweeney-Unreal-Engine-UE4,15571.html

    Am I way off track with my line of thought with that or what? I mean, right now which upper/mid or even mid would be capable of playing any game with max settings @ 1920 (or are they not capable under say $300-400?)

    That's a MAJOR downer, spending $500+ on a 670/80 knowing it will not be capable of playing one of the most popular game engines coming in foreseeable future...

    A2[GPU cont.]
    -gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.

    If a given gpu is capable of playing most/all games at max settings above say 40fps+ without dipping....
    any gpu costing more would be an investment in future-proofing only, correct?

    a) are the mid level ($250-300) or upper/mid level ($300-400) capable of handling mostly any game at 1920 with max settings? Or would I in fact need an upper level ($400+) to even do that?


    B1 Power Supply
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom


    I guess I should've mentioned that I'll have funding provided for this build, up to the $1500+ish budget, then I'm likely on my own for upgrades in coming year or so.... Want to future-proof as much as possible so if I need to upgrade it will only need to be a single component at a time if possible...

    In the next year or so, if I've got to buy a pcie 3.0 gpu AND a beefier power supply at one time, that will likely be an issue...

    a) Would you recommend a higher output power supply than 600w to make sure I won't possibly need to replace with next gpu upgrade, whatever those power requirements cold foreseeably be, WITHOUT just willy-nilly blowing money needlessly?
    If so, which power supply would you then suggest?

    Thank you So Much Again for all your input and knowledge (you guys/gals do really blow me away with your knowledge and willingness to help new builders out!!!)
  5. coldengrey said:
    ***** Thanks for time and knowledge shared. I really do appreciate it!
    Have some other questions.... Tried to color code little to ease confusion

    A1[GPU selection]
    -
    -gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.

    what of the gpu article and my concerns posted in previous reply [unreal 4 engine not going to work with current gen gpu's, except the keplars. But then current keplar would be absolute lowest and that's not performance to me]?
    Article referencing: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Sweeney-Unreal-Engine-UE4,15571.html

    Am I way off track with my line of thought with that or what? I mean, right now which upper/mid or even mid would be capable of playing any game with max settings @ 1920 (or are they not capable under say $300-400?)

    That's a MAJOR downer, spending $500+ on a 670/80 knowing it will not be capable of playing one of the most popular game engines coming in foreseeable future...

    A2[GPU cont.]
    -gtx 680's. Cross your fingers that they come back in stock soon.

    If a given gpu is capable of playing most/all games at max settings above say 40fps+ without dipping....
    any gpu costing more would be an investment in future-proofing only, correct?

    a) are the mid level ($250-300) or upper/mid level ($300-400) capable of handling mostly any game at 1920 with max settings? Or would I in fact need an upper level ($400+) to even do that?


    B1 Power Supply
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom


    I guess I should've mentioned that I'll have funding provided for this build, up to the $1500+ish budget, then I'm likely on my own for upgrades in coming year or so.... Want to future-proof as much as possible so if I need to upgrade it will only need to be a single component at a time if possible...

    In the next year or so, if I've got to buy a pcie 3.0 gpu AND a beefier power supply at one time, that will likely be an issue...

    a) Would you recommend a higher output power supply than 600w to make sure I won't possibly need to replace with next gpu upgrade, whatever those power requirements cold foreseeably be, WITHOUT just willy-nilly blowing money needlessly?
    If so, which power supply would you then suggest?

    Thank you So Much Again for all your input and knowledge (you guys/gals do really blow me away with your knowledge and willingness to help new builders out!!!)

    550w is what Nvidia recommends for the gtx 680 and when Nvidia states that they are taking into account the crappy psu's some people purchase. That PC Power & Cooling will run a gtx 680 with ease and seeing how gpu's are getting more efficient your good to go there. As far as that article goes about unreal engine...it's pure speculation for now. That and the makers of unreal engine aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot. They will lose out before the card makers do.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga <----- gtx 670 review with benchmarks

    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&vpn=GV-N670OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte $399.99 Free Shipping
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
  6. Why_Me said:
    550w is what Nvidia recommends for the gtx 680 and when Nvidia states that they are taking into account the crappy psu's some people purchase. That PC Power & Cooling will run a gtx 680 with ease and seeing how gpu's are getting more efficient your good to go there. As far as that article goes about unreal engine...it's pure speculation for now. That and the makers of unreal engine aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot. They will lose out before the card makers do.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga <----- gtx 670 review with benchmarks

    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&vpn=GV-N670OC-2GD&manufacture=Gigabyte $399.99 Free Shipping
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card



    wow, down to $400, that is a lot of gpu for that price level (relatively speaking) I suppose.
    thanks for help.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product