Broken CPU?

Kolto

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm really hoping someone might be able to help with an issue I've had the past few days, I've tried everything I could find on how to fix it, tomshardware being very helpful in that process.

Anyway, to start my build is:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68MA-D2H-B3
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @3.8
HSF: Stock > changed to CM H212 Evo same day as computer stopped working.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CL9 4GB x 4
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA 560 Ti 1Gb
Power Supply: Cooler Master 700W

Ok, so up until a few days ago I had the stock CPU cooler on and only 2 sticks of RAM. But I'm a 3D art student so have been using my computer to render out more and more and the temps were getting to an undesired level so I picked up the Cooler Master H212 Evo heat sink fan and a couple more sticks of RAM, also worth noting is I picked up a new BitFenix case fan to attach to the back as an exhaust.

Anyway, I installed all of the new components and booted up and everything was working fine at stock clocks and the temps dropped considerably without a load on them, so I decided to OC to 4.4. Which I did fine, booted, seemed stable, I then left the computer running some stress tests while I went out for a few hours. Came back, computer was still running fine, and the recorded temps never exceeded the high 60's. But as I was out and i liked the new fan I bought a new one, so I shut the computer down and proceeded to add this new fan. To check I had it the right way around I booted into the BIOS a few times while I did this. Had no problems, and made sure to shut down and re-ground before going back inside the case at all.

Anyway, once I was done, I hit the power button, got maybe a second of fan spin up and then it shut down. No beeps, crunches, noises of any scary kind came from the PC. Now my immediate reaction and conclusion was that the PSU had died, it had been making a few small clicking sounds on and off for about a week, after some fiddling and no success I decided to go out the next day and get a new PSU.

Got home, plugged it all in, double checked all the connections, at least 4 times, even when and dug up the mobo guide to make sure. Still, there was no sign of life. Knowing the PSU was perfectly fine now, I started following tips found in the guide on this site, sequentially removing things from the mobo.

So in short the things I have tried thus far;
- New PSU
- Connections checked.
- RAM/GPU/HDD's removed (leaving one stick of RAM and trying each stick sequentially)
- Jumping power switch connections to make sure button on case wasn't broken.
- Tried a different Motherboard. Same symptoms - no life.
- Removed motherboard(s) from cases to ensure not being grounded by a mounting screw.

The only constant device throughout the whole process was the CPU, being the most expensive piece in the rig I really wanted to avoid going near it. But I did and tried/checked the following:

- No thermalpaste on the chip. Cleaned up application from the H212 install a bit though.
- No bent pins
- No scorch marks
- Checked the new HSF was mounted correctly.

Now my friend is bringing over a spare 1155 socket CPU (not sure of model yet) later tonight which I'll try. If that doesn't work I'm going to be really stumped. At the moment, I'm left to believe that it's the CPU as I can't imagine 2 motherboards would behave in the exact same way. If his CPU works I'll know for sure that mine is bust.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I haven't mentioned that I could possibly try. And also, does anyone know how installing the aftermarket CPU cooler would affect my warranty for the CPU with Intel?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer.

Regards, Tom

p.s I apologise if this is in the wrong section, I'm a first time poster here.

Solution
Your problem sounds similar to the one I had a few months back. I originally had an AMD 1090t and an Asus M4A Evo usb 3 mobo, I then upgraded to an i7 2700k and an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 mobo. Now, my PSU was a Corsair AX 1200w and it worked perfectly with the AMD components. However, when I installed the the new CPU and mobo I would get some of my fan LED's switching on for about a second before turning off.

I tried everything, I RMA'ed virtually every piece of equipment, even the PSU which was tested and apparently working as normal. I then sent the PSU to Corsair itself and they promptly sent me a new PSU which worked perfectly.

Long story, but it can happen, much more likely than the CPU being fried anyway.

Kolto

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Yup, as in the original post, I stripped the mobo down to bare basics, RAM & CPU and tried 4 individual sticks of ram.

Also, something I forgot to put in originally, I removed the BIOS battery for about 30mins, just in case I'd done something to the settings during OC'ing.

yabyyoyoboy

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

have you tried using 1 stick of ram at a time? one of them could of failed during OC

Kolto

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Yup, tried RAM one at a time and reseated CPU in two different motherboards

Kolto

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
UPDATE: Tried a different CPU. Exactly the same no power or signs of life anywhere. So that's 2 PSU's, 2CPU's 2Motherboards and 4 lots of different ram all with the same result. Really am stumped with this one...

yabyyoyoboy

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Does the motherboard beep when there is no ram in the slots or it just won't boot. My friend had this problem but he fixed the problem by plugging it in a different wall socket

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Check that the new power supply powers the lights on the motherboard fully not just dim or flickering i had a psu that showed good on a tester acctually two diff testers and it still wouldnt power the board.. Btw ive never seen a bad cpu alwyas something else cpus rarly go bad just fyi.. i would try another psu it really could be that...

SteelLAD

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Your problem sounds similar to the one I had a few months back. I originally had an AMD 1090t and an Asus M4A Evo usb 3 mobo, I then upgraded to an i7 2700k and an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 mobo. Now, my PSU was a Corsair AX 1200w and it worked perfectly with the AMD components. However, when I installed the the new CPU and mobo I would get some of my fan LED's switching on for about a second before turning off.

I tried everything, I RMA'ed virtually every piece of equipment, even the PSU which was tested and apparently working as normal. I then sent the PSU to Corsair itself and they promptly sent me a new PSU which worked perfectly.

Long story, but it can happen, much more likely than the CPU being fried anyway.

Solution

Kolto

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks to all the replies.

Turns out it was the motherboard and the 2 I was using were both dead, unlucky eh. Picked up a new motherboard today. Working like a dream.