Recommendation for a video card to play Final Fantasy XIV

Ayrek

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hello.

I'm looking to see what peoples opinions are. I want to play FFXIV on high if not very high settings and I am not sure what video card to go with.

My build is:

Asus Sabertooth p67 rev3 mobo
Intel i5-2500k
16gb DDR3 ram.
550W PSU

Thanks for your help.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
My opinion is don't drop a penny on that game so they completely destroy the worst title in FF history and use every resource left to get FF back on track. 10+ months of free gaming in that game (I definitely didn't play all the time, only a few days after patches hoping for something better) didn't change my opinion of it: .

With THAT said; 560Ti 448 / 6950 2GB will do the trick very well.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Please tell me you haven't bought FF14 yet. It is easily the worst MMO in history, potentially flat out the worst game of all time. It's so bad that SE came out shortly after the launch and apologized for people having paid money for the game. I'm not kidding, they really apologized for how bad the game was and that people had paid for it.

I played the beta, and it was awful. The game actually punishes you for playing, as some stupid-ass way to try to convince you to explore everything else in the game.

Like doing X? Well tough! Because you can only advance so far in X in a day, then you need to go do A, B, C, D, E and F, which you don't like doing, because the game has told you that you've already done X too much.

It's a miserable, miserable game. Do not buy it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Oh, ragging on FF 14 a bit more. The game was so bad that most of the developers were removed from the project (probably many removed from the company) shortly after launch. Later, the CEO of Square Enix said "the Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged" in reference to the impact of FF14 on the franchise.

The best thing anybody had to say about the game was that it might have not sucked if they'd spent another year or so actually finishing the game, because what they launched was not a finished game.

Ayrek

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know where FFXIV sits right now. I am interested in paying it once 2.0 comes out. So I want my pc ready by then. I am getting sick of WoW. I think I'm gonna play Rift for a bit. I played the trial. Although its like WoW I had a lot more fun with it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Try The Old Republic. It's been received very well, while FF14 is so bad it's become a punchline.

Seriously, how bad does your game have to be for the entire team to be replaced and have the CEO issue an apology to people who bought it?

Ayrek

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Yeah I agree. I'm a fan of the FF series. Played FFXII for a few years. I'll probably still try out FFXIV. From what i'm hearing it should be way better than its current state. Like I said i'm SICK of WoW it's boring now. I played the Rift trial and actually liked it so i'm gonna play that for a while.

Calmcacil

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
What willard talks about is how the game was two years ago. They actually fired the entire dev team and set a new team working on it. At this point, FFXIV is in reality a pretty decent game, and the patch that just came out this past week made it even better. It's not the same game it was in beta by any means.

Is it the best game? No. Is it different from all the WoW clones out there (Star Wars included)? Very. Most importantly, it feels like you're playing a Final Fantasy game now, and not bungling around with nothing to do. It's worth a shot, you might like it after giving it a try.

I have a Radeon 5870 with 1GB VRAM and the game runs pretty smoothly. If you can go with something like that or better, you'll be fine, and I doubt you'll have to spend much money.

hrafenskald

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Please do not listen to this bunk. I've found FF XIV to be one of the best MMORPGs I've played so far, and the plans for the changes to come in the next year only excite me more.

From the crafting system, which is by far the best and most imaginative so far, to the storylines, of which there are THREE currently, depending on your starting city, and which are ONLY available until the release of 14-2 early next year, this game is one of the best there is.

I've played Rift. Wasn't impressed. I've played WoW. Didn't hold my attention for more than a week. I've played Everquest. Meh. I've played D&D Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and Eden Eternal. Out of all of them, Final Fantasy XIV is the only one that has held me strong for longer than a month.

And the fact that it is constantly growing and changing...it's great.

Old Republic was another fail for me, by the way. I spent entirely too much money learning that lesson. As was Star Trek Online. And Eve Online. Oh well. Haters gonna hate.