whats a good Linksys?

the_hobbit

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I am looking in to getting a Linksys Wireless router and wireless card for my laptop I am going to be using it for download stuff and surfing the net but witch one would be better the speed booster or the normal one would their be any much of a different between them?

"I am neither enemy nor friend, Iam back from the world where such words are meaningless"-Gray Fox(Metal Gear Solid)-

riser

Illustrious
The G is fine.. the speedbooster would only benefit you if you're going to be transferring files between computers on your personal network heavily.. Just the G, it's a lot cheaper.. the 802.11B/G router you find at Circuit City, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, will be what you want.

The wireless B/G Linksys card is also what you want.. again, i wouldn't bother with the speedbooster technology at this point.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why Linksys, is there any perticuliar reason? They are no good range wise.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Speedbooster is a bit of a marketing gimmick anyway, though you may see some added bandwidth benefit.

Oh, and Linksys is as good as the next consumer level wireless AP/Router. THere are dud radio's in all budget Mfg's wireless gear from time to time but Linksys uses the same radio chipsets, antennas and power output as all the others. There are different radios and chipsets to use and some vendors are married to certain ones but Linksys doesn't use completely different silicon as Dlink, Netgear, SMC and the myriad of other cheap WLAN hardware makers. No real difference in general terms. As a blanket statement saying they suck is ludicrous but if you hang around here long enough you already know you have to consider the source of comments like that. Eventually bogus information in posts becomes bogus posters

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I see you have some issues with knowledge. Try to find out first, than blame us bogus, bogus yourself.

PS: just to ease your pain, Linksys and DLink use completely different chipsets, that's why DLink gets far better range in real life. Anyway, I think it is not usefool to preach to some ignorant body.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
"Anyway, I think it is not usefool to preach to some ignorant body"

I agree. That's why, for the most part, I have just started ignoring your posts. Not responding to the exaggerations, fabrications and outright untrue information. Occasionally I feel compelled to step in if I think what your posting may negatively affect the original poster. Moving forward I'll try to keep my comments outside of the personal realm and just correct the misinformation you continue to give. So for that, I apologize. I didn't need to get personal.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
"When I say D-Link sucks.. it's because I don't like their GUI :)"

Wasn't addressing you riser. Sorry for not clarifying. Should have just left it alone. My comments weren't just about this thread. Let the magnitude of the rhetoric and misinformation collectively, not by you, get the best of me.

riser

Illustrious
I knew what you were getting at.. I just wanted to toss out my little thought on it.. i had bad experiences with d-link back in 2000 because the interface was junky to me..

but i just wanted to share my 2 cents.. haha

the_hobbit

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
ok so basicly i should go with the b/g router and card but why I thought a G card can work with all why would I need a b/g router why not just a plain old G router?

"I am neither enemy nor friend, Iam back from the world where such words are meaningless"-Gray Fox(Metal Gear Solid)-

riser

Illustrious
Because it'll probably be a B/G router since B was the predominant wireless type before G was released. It's being backward compatitable and not a big deal.. I don't think you'll find just a G.. it'll have A/G, B/G, A/B/G, A/B.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
There is no .11g without .11b capability. There are plenty of older .11b only AP's. No such animal as .11g only. It's either going to be B/G or A/B/G.

the_hobbit

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Ok but wich one is better Linksys or Netgear or i sthere a better brand out there?

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
In the budget sector Buffalo Tech makes the best wireless gear. Of the rest, Netgear/DLink/Linksys/etc.. they are all very similar in performance and reliability. Buffalo is a bit more expensive but worth the extra cash you have to shell out. On a tight budget, throw a dart at the general direction of the wireless dpt at Best Buy and take what it hits. Very, very little difference in the choices you have.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I understand that am an ignorred one, but to inform the original poster, there are some G only things that are made by Cisco (kind of pricy for little man, but in case if interested).