Wireless Card Recommendations

bonethrack

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
So I am planning to get a wireless card so I can move my computer more than 5 feet away from my router.

I have a budget of 50$ and need a decent card that can keep up with online gaming and downloading.

Wired I can top at about 1.3mb/s download speed I would like to know if there is a cheap card I can keep that speed with.

bonethrack

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
well I bought that card and i have to say its HORRIBLE i get no where near my regular download speed i don't know why you suggested it. I'm getting 100kb/s instead of my 1.3mb/s. (fyi the speed my internet provider says its 12mbps i posted my actual download speed)

Minute

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I have the same card, and i do get 1.3MB/s. (consistently, and thats also the limit of my connection)

DO NOT use the driver from the box/windows, it is outdated and has some sort of bug.(The bug only shows itself in downloads and gaming, and not regular browsing)

Goto the asus site and install the most recent driver, and then you will get the speed you want.

Also the 12Mbps, is in bits you need to divide by 8 to get it to MBps. Which should be around the 1.3MBps you were seeing before.

bonethrack

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I am sorry for how angry I got but even with the latest drivers for win 7 32bit I am getting the same exact speed of about 100kb/s this still seems like a waste of money for me. (going to try Ralink drivers to see if i can get a normal speed)

Minute

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

If you are using the latest driver from asus, then my next guesses would be that your wireless router can't go up 12Mbps. Or your connected on the a/b/g radio instead of n. (or you don't have n on your router)

Or it might be soemthing as simple as your settings not being right on for the wireless card or your router.

bonethrack

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
well i went in the cards settings and turned off radio and lost all connectivity so i assume my wireless router is outdated its 3-4 years old (can't get to its settings at all even wired i get a blank page when going to the default gateway address) also i have gotten my max speed with a laptop before. my wireless router is G that might be the problem right there time to update i guess.

EDIT: ummm...i was playing with the settings and found something called multimedia/gaming environment in the advanced tab and turned it on and it started going at full speed thanks for your help and once again i am sorry for being rude.

kathywordolf

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Maybe the Linksys Instant Wireless WDT11 PCI Adapter is suitable for you. No matter you are in your bedroom or at the desk, this wireless card allows you to share printers, files and more other things within your wireless LAN area. This card features a high-powered built-in Diversity antenna which allows a shift up to 500 meters. This wireless card costs only $42.