TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi,

i got a usb fan but it causes problems onm my pc, the fan works perfetly on my laptop.

The problem is that when i put the USB fan into the PC, the PC keeps telling me an unreconized usb decice is in the PC, then after 10 mins of warnings it restarts the PC.

any ideas

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
that's very strange as a usb fan should only be pulling power from your system.

I really highly doubt that power is the issue but... what psu do you have and does your fan say how much power it draws?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i doubt its a power problem to as i have a themtake 450 wat psu,

also when i put the fan into the usb on the d-bridge pannel on my case it works perfectly eccept the wrong way round, now i know when i connected the case up i got the connection from the usb d bridge to the motherboard wrong so that dowsnt worry me,

but when i plug into mothboard it keeps sayin unreconized usb device found ect

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
It's your USB controller that enters current limit protection, not the PSU.
You could have also a 2kW PSU, but you absolutely can't draw more than 500mA from a single USB root hub.
Notice, not from any single port, but any single hub, and in standard mobos every hub controls 2 ports: if you attach your fan to say USB0 and another bus powered device, say a card reader, on USB1 you'll be limited to 100mA per port!
This is an USB protocol specification, so simply try to change the port you attached the fan to, selecting one on a totally free hub.

And last, it's not mandatory that an USB port allows drawing 500mA even if the others are unloaded: USB specification states that the USB controller must allow drawing 100mA per port and may allow drawing up to a maximum of 500mA.