Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Performance build sub $4000 opinions wanted.

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2012 9:03:48 PM

I am looking to put a system together that can be OC but with no plans to do it for a couple of years. We've had our current system for 8 years (it is a Dell XPS) and we mainly use it for browsing the web.

Pentium 4 3.4ghz
2gb ram
TWO 65 gb sata HDD running raid 0

New system parts

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD

TWO OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Looking for opinions on Video Cards because I was figuring it would be a GTX 680 but depending on the availablity when I order parts would be willing to go with a HD 7970.

Also looking for recommendations on a optical writer, blu ray write optional.

I would like to first make sure I didn't get something that was incompatible with something else and then your comments on the other parts as I am not necessarily locked into getting one brand over another (excluding Intel processor) I was looking for quality parts that might possibly last me another 8 years.

Currently I have 30 GB free HDD space and nothing ever deleted just to save space, so while most new builds have at least 1TB of normal HDD I thought 2 256GB SSDs would be more than enough for now.

I was also figuring that 16 GB was plenty for now but was wondering if since I wasn't looking to overclock right now if maybe it would be better to get 32 GB ram of simliar price but slower speed or 16gb of slower and cheaper.

I am not against the 3930K but my wife didn't complain when I said the cost would be +/- $4000 so my thinking was that the 3960x was still faster than the 3930k @ stock speeds and even though 6 cores is overkill right now it might buy me an extra year or 2 before we feel it is too slow and needs to be replaced. I don't have a problem not spending the total budget but I am not a computer "geek" anymore (unfortunately) so I don't want to make upgrades on a half yearly or even yearly basis. If I still lived in SoCal 30 minutes away from 2 different FRY's I would have never bought a dell but the local computer shops out here in MD act like they never had DOA parts and said unless they installed it (for a price of course) they wouldn't exchange them.

I also referenced newegg for every part just to make it easier for me. Just FYI I will be ordering any parts I can from Best Buy as we get reward dollars for money spent there but if for whatever reason it is cheaper not to buy any parts from them that's that way it will be.

Other than using it for normal web browsing I have about 30 1hr HD mini DV tapes I want to put to DVD and I would rather have have a system that never hits 40% of its potential for the first year or two than wait 8 hours for a 1 hour video to render which is what it currently takes. The only reason we have to so many tapes is because I don't like the time it takes to put it to dvd.

As a timeframe I am ready anytime I fell confident about the system but I am willing to wait a month or 2 for whatever reason to put it together but not much more than that.

Thanks for your responses in advance and sorry for any grammatical/spelling errors.

May 9, 2012 9:47:59 PM

You're going to be spending $4K on a system just for web browsing and DVD converting? You could build a system for less than $1K and keep the rest.

I'd also heavily advise *AGAINST* purchasing a system from Frys' - they are such a dishonest retailer it isn't even remotely funny and I've had to deal with them for years. I'm glad Newegg is around - they're way better than Fry's. I avoid that store like the plague.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:35:28 PM

Baba Bouie said:
I am looking to put a system together that can be OC but with no plans to do it for a couple of years. We've had our current system for 8 years (it is a Dell XPS) and we mainly use it for browsing the web.

Pentium 4 3.4ghz
2gb ram
TWO 65 gb sata HDD running raid 0

New system parts

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD

TWO OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Looking for opinions on Video Cards because I was figuring it would be a GTX 680 but depending on the availablity when I order parts would be willing to go with a HD 7970.

Also looking for recommendations on a optical writer, blu ray write optional.

I would like to first make sure I didn't get something that was incompatible with something else and then your comments on the other parts as I am not necessarily locked into getting one brand over another (excluding Intel processor) I was looking for quality parts that might possibly last me another 8 years.

Currently I have 30 GB free HDD space and nothing ever deleted just to save space, so while most new builds have at least 1TB of normal HDD I thought 2 256GB SSDs would be more than enough for now.

I was also figuring that 16 GB was plenty for now but was wondering if since I wasn't looking to overclock right now if maybe it would be better to get 32 GB ram of simliar price but slower speed or 16gb of slower and cheaper.

I am not against the 3930K but my wife didn't complain when I said the cost would be +/- $4000 so my thinking was that the 3960x was still faster than the 3930k @ stock speeds and even though 6 cores is overkill right now it might buy me an extra year or 2 before we feel it is too slow and needs to be replaced. I don't have a problem not spending the total budget but I am not a computer "geek" anymore (unfortunately) so I don't want to make upgrades on a half yearly or even yearly basis. If I still lived in SoCal 30 minutes away from 2 different FRY's I would have never bought a dell but the local computer shops out here in MD act like they never had DOA parts and said unless they installed it (for a price of course) they wouldn't exchange them.

I also referenced newegg for every part just to make it easier for me. Just FYI I will be ordering any parts I can from Best Buy as we get reward dollars for money spent there but if for whatever reason it is cheaper not to buy any parts from them that's that way it will be.

Other than using it for normal web browsing I have about 30 1hr HD mini DV tapes I want to put to DVD and I would rather have have a system that never hits 40% of its potential for the first year or two than wait 8 hours for a 1 hour video to render which is what it currently takes. The only reason we have to so many tapes is because I don't like the time it takes to put it to dvd.

As a timeframe I am ready anytime I fell confident about the system but I am willing to wait a month or 2 for whatever reason to put it together but not much more than that.

Thanks for your responses in advance and sorry for any grammatical/spelling errors.

What exactly will you be doing with your new rig?
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2012 10:39:44 PM

You should not spend more than $1K on a web browsing rig. This kind of build is be good for serious gaming in 3D or on three monitors, and anything less would be a waste. There is NO circumstance that warrants a $1000 processor.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:41:30 PM

Why spend more than $400 on a web browsing rig, let alone even $1000? Even a $100 CPU should not feel slow for another 10 years. Also, the 3960X is not much faster than the 3930K at all, it's just an overpriced 3930K as far as performance is concerned.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:49:05 PM

With PC they double in speed every 2 years meaning in 8 years you could buy a PC with equivalent power for 1k. Bear in mind it acts as a diminishing curve of diminishing returns. For your needs you could spend allot less and get similar performance.

It looks like your going for a Ferrari build with the best of everything, which is fine. Some people buy Ferrari's only to drive then 2km to work everyday in traffic jams.

Question:

1. Will you be playing video games? if so what titles?
2. Do you watch movies or anything else on this system, or want it to other things?
3. Would you be open to seen a much more economical system for your needs?

But hey if you got 4k burning a hole; Do as Snoop says "drop it like its hot"

best of luck
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:51:53 PM

i3 CPU with HD 3000- $120 to $140
Cheap H61 motherboard- $45 to $60
400-500w Antec/Corsair/Seasonic PSU- $40 to $50
cheap case- $25 to 50
500 GB HDD- $80
8GB of DDR3-1600 - $40
Blu-Ray drive- $50 to $80

Total is $400 to $490. It'll last you at least eight years if web browsing is the heaviest thing that you do.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:52:39 PM

Ack, sorry about the typos.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:55:28 PM

becomecooler said:
With PC they double in speed every 2 years meaning in 8 years you could buy a PC with equivalent power for 1k. Bear in mind it acts as a diminishing curve of diminishing returns. For your needs you could spend allot less and get similar performance.

It looks like your going for a Ferrari build with the best of everything, which is fine. Some people buy Ferrari's only to drive then 2km to work everyday in traffic jams.

Question:

1. Will you be playing video games? if so what titles?
2. Do you watch movies or anything else on this system, or want it to other things?
3. Would you be open to seen a much more economical system for your needs?

But hey if you got 4k burning a hole; Do as Snoop says "drop it like its hot"

best of luck

Where are you getting this doubling in performance every two years number from? Don't say Moore's law, that law has nothing to do with performance. Moore's law states that the amount of transistors that can cheaply be stuffed into an area doubles every x months (x used to be twelve, but it has since grown as transistor density enhancements slowed down).

The fastest processors today are not even twice as fast per core as the top Conroe CPUs from about six years ago and since most software is not well-threaded, more cores than two doesn't much of a difference in most work.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:55:48 PM

Solid build, but I would for sure go with nvidia to avoid driver issues with a new platform like that (Ati's bane) and get 2x8g sticks of ram instead of 4x4g sticks so you can overclock much easier and higher. The extra ram sticks will hold you back even with the dual controller. You'd be surprised how many clients I've had swear they don't want to overclock and then crash their computer because they had low-end ram that was making errors from the clock jump
m
l
May 9, 2012 11:06:05 PM

dkcomputer said:
Solid build, but I would for sure go with nvidia to avoid driver issues with a new platform like that (Ati's bane) and get 2x8g sticks of ram instead of 4x4g sticks so you can overclock much easier and higher. The extra ram sticks will hold you back even with the dual controller. You'd be surprised how many clients I've had swear they don't want to overclock and then crash their computer because they had low-end ram that was making errors from the clock jump

Nvidia has had bad drivers like some of AMD's (Ati hasn't existed for years) too. I think it was Nvidia's 196.75 or something like that that actually killed the cards that had it and could go as far as melting your GPU. AMD's drivers are just as good as Nvidia and both companies have had problems and continue to have problems. At least AMD's problems have yet to actually kill a card.
m
l
May 9, 2012 11:34:45 PM

Baba Bouie said:
I am not against the 3930K but my wife didn't complain when I said the cost would be +/- $4000...

Does your wife have a sister?

Seriously, spend around $1000 on a great rig like everyone has suggested and then take your wife on a nice cruise with the rest of the money =)
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:07:28 AM

blazorthon said:
i3 CPU with HD 3000- $120 to $140
Cheap H61 motherboard- $45 to $60
400-500w Antec/Corsair/Seasonic PSU- $40 to $50
cheap case- $25 to 50
500 GB HDD- $80
8GB of DDR3-1600 - $40
Blu-Ray drive- $50 to $80

Total is $400 to $490. It'll last you at least eight years if web browsing is the heaviest thing that you do.

thank everyone for the replys and sorry to hear fry's blows now, I left CA in 1998.

How would this i3 system do rendering movies. After I do the 30 hours or so that I have now it would probably be 2 hrs a year (kid is 5 now and the momarazzi has settled way down on how much we video). I don't know yet what video software I will use yet, but definately nothing that would cost more the $200-$300. I know that is a lame answer but I just hadn't gotten that far into things. I just figured if I built something fast enough I could just go buy whatever and know my system could handle it.

I know my kids tablet is fast enough for web browsing not to mention 360, PS3 but I was just thinking the better I made it now the less I would have to worry about it later. Another reason I was trying to stick with a newer motherboard at least was because my video card went up in my current system about 2 months ago and there is only 1 agp video card still being sold (will not do ebay and only want new) so figured PCI 3 would be around for a while.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:18:53 AM

dkcomputer said:

Thanks for the advice I said I had no intentions of OC for at least a couple of years and that was when I noticed a slow down but by the way everyone seems to be replying there would never be a need for me to OC which was another reason I wanted to build a fast system. I would rather run stock speed on everything and pay 3x as much than OC $1000 system that I would burn out after a couple of years. If I were to run the system I quoted except for mabye running the 3930k instead of the 3960x do you have a recommendation on a 2x8gb set and since I wouldn't need to OC would getting a speed of 1600 be good? I say 1600 just because that is was intel says their processor supports up to and thought anything faster might void the warranty.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:20:59 AM

You only need a really powerful processor ( i7-3960X ), or even a cluster of computers, for rendering fully modeled scenes with something like 3D Studio max (light baking etc..) A processor like the i5 2500k should be enough if not overkill for basic movie making though I don't have much experience with that

-SP
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:21:39 AM

maui67 said:
Does your wife have a sister?

Seriously, spend around $1000 on a great rig like everyone has suggested and then take your wife on a nice cruise with the rest of the money =)

Yes she has a twin and her husband happens to be a stay at home dad too. And I would rather she take me to Atlantic City than a cruise with any money saved.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:26:30 AM

Baba Bouie said:
Yes she has a twin and her husband happens to be a stay at home dad too. And I would rather she take me to Atlantic City than a cruise with any money saved.

Whether it's a cruise or a trip to Atlantic City doesn't matter; point is don't waste your money on a computer that you won't use even close to it's full potential.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:58:35 AM

wow, when i first read op's forum question i was shocked. i'd die to have that system and thats with a decent system my self. if you really have the money and don't think you well need it for anything else then go for it. but at the same time buying a system that powerful probably wouldn't last much longer then my 2500k system. one last thing i don't think the 680 well last much longer then something like a 570 or 560 ti for what you want to do, unless websites design changes dramatically
m
l
May 10, 2012 4:08:45 AM

The GMA 950 is enough for web browsing. The HD 2000 and 3000 are overpowered for web browsing. An Ivy Bridge CPU could have the HD 2500 or even the HD 4000 (i5-3570K is the cheapest that has the HD 4000 at $250) and they are even more overpowered with the HD 4000 being about twice as fast as the i7's HD 3000 (unlike HD 4000, HD 2000 and 3000 differ in performance because of differing IGP clock frequencies. The i7's have the best HD 3000). Why even get a discrete card at all, when IGPs that are a fraction of today's IGPs are fast enough for web browsing? The HD 2000, 3000, or 4000 would be enough for web browsing even ten years from now. They are also enough for 3D 1080p, so even 3D Blu-Ray movies would be no problem at all.
m
l
May 10, 2012 12:56:53 PM

blazorthon said:
Whether it's a cruise or a trip to Atlantic City doesn't matter; point is don't waste your money on a computer that you won't use even close to it's full potential.

I understand about the wasting money part, going to Atlantic City (wasting money imo) was a fail at humor.

I had also thought about going with an IGP. Part of my issue is most articles here are geared towards OC which I obviously don't need to do and the last time I put a system together (15 years) I was a gamer and knew self built gaming systems were generally of better quality, faster and cheaper than anything you could buy from the store. I also remember always trading the comment "you will never use all that" whether it was 4 mb of ram or a 200 mb HDD (1991 ish) when the biggest game was wing commander on four 1.44mb disks and DOS was like 1 mb and now look where were at.

What is you opinion on going with just an air cooler since I would be going with a different processor? I personally don't like the idea of any liquid inside the case but wasn't sure if it was any worse than hanging +/-2 lbs off the mother board? I say 2 lbs because I think the Noctua NH-D14 SE 2011 was a toms recommendation if going air and I also thought it would be easier not to have to even consider ram height clearance. Has anyone experienced either a leak from a self contained liquid cooler or a cracked MB from a cpu cooler?

m
l
May 10, 2012 1:18:16 PM

CPUs come with a cooler. If you want to overclock, then pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for less than $40. It won't have any weight problems. I said 8GB of RAM because it's 4 times higher than necessary today, so it should last a long time. Also, the increase in amounts of RAM necessary for regular stuff has slowed down from what it used to be.

Hard drives, you might want a larger one if you do stuff such as 2TB or whatever if you store media on this computer. I've only once heard of a leaking water cooler and never a cracking motherboard from a heavy cooler. Heavy coolers come with back-plates (installed on the side of the motherboard opposite of the CPU and cooler) that support the weight so that the motherboard doesn't have to do it on it's own (otherwise, it probably would crack)
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:56:15 PM

blazorthon said:
CPUs come with a cooler. If you want to overclock, then pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for less than $40. It won't have any weight problems. I said 8GB of RAM because it's 4 times higher than necessary today, so it should last a long time. Also, the increase in amounts of RAM necessary for regular stuff has slowed down from what it used to be.

Hard drives, you might want a larger one if you do stuff such as 2TB or whatever if you store media on this computer. I've only once heard of a leaking water cooler and never a cracking motherboard from a heavy cooler. Heavy coolers come with back-plates (installed on the side of the motherboard opposite of the CPU and cooler) that support the weight so that the motherboard doesn't have to do it on it's own (otherwise, it probably would crack)

O.k. I remember reading now that only the new -e processors weren't going to be shipped with a cooler unlike every other processor previously. Thanks for all the input.

My mom is heading back to CA today so i will be off for the rest of the day and I will put a more reasonable (but still overkill) system together and get your opinion... The one issue I quickly saw was I needed a MB with a firewire port as my sony HD video camera is just about 6 years old and that is the fastest way I think the camera will transfer, I need to check the cameras manual, and I didn't see a MB with both a firewire port and an IGP but I just did a quick look and will look more tonight.
m
l
May 10, 2012 2:07:24 PM

The IGP of today's Intel systems is not on the motherboard, it's on the CPU. The same is true for AMD's APU platforms.

Firewire is not all that common anymore. If you can't find such a port, then it would be easier to buy a $10 Firewire PCI or PCIe x1 expansion card and plug that into your motherboard.

It was just the SB-E processors that don't ship with a cooler.

I'll look for a few boards, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one. Just get an expansion card and make sure that the motherboard has the proper slot (PCI if it's a PCI card) and it should solve this problem.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:42:09 PM

Crucial has always been a top performing RAM. Their ballistix 1600 2x8 set for $149 is a good deal if you can find it in stock.

I've built lots of computers over the past 5 years, but only 2 of them were over $2000, and one was an "unlimited" budget and I could only come up with a $2,900 build for the best you can get - this was avoiding 3 way sli (no 4way at the time).

I'd stay clear of SLI if you have a 120hz monitor, as it will be very noticeable when the FPS stutters - but if you absolutely want to spend money on a rig 4x watercooled 680's would be sweet. I've done it, stuttering in 4way is not nearly as bad as in 2 or 3way sli. This could eat up $3500 of your budget pretty quick though.

I'd either go $5k with 4way SLI, or go $2500 ish with no SLI.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:59:18 PM

dkcomputer said:
Crucial has always been a top performing RAM. Their ballistix 1600 2x8 set for $149 is a good deal if you can find it in stock.

I've built lots of computers over the past 5 years, but only 2 of them were over $2000, and one was an "unlimited" budget and I could only come up with a $2,900 build for the best you can get - this was avoiding 3 way sli (no 4way at the time).

I'd stay clear of SLI if you have a 120hz monitor, as it will be very noticeable when the FPS stutters - but if you absolutely want to spend money on a rig 4x watercooled 680's would be sweet. I've done it, stuttering in 4way is not nearly as bad as in 2 or 3way sli. This could eat up $3500 of your budget pretty quick though.

I'd either go $5k with 4way SLI, or go $2500 ish with no SLI.

We've already realized that this is not really a ridiculously high end gaming computer... The budget looks like it will at least be cut in three.

Also, $150 is overpriced for 2x8GB DDR3 1600. $110 to $130 is the most that it's worth and even that is more than the $80 that a high quality 4x4GB 1600 or 1866 kit costs.
m
l
May 10, 2012 7:10:31 PM

Quote:
Also, $150 is overpriced for 2x8GB DDR3 1600. $110 to $130 is the most that it's worth and even that is more than the $80 that a high quality 4x4GB 1600 or 1866 kit costs.

Avoid 4 sticks when you can, it auto slows down your RAM, and the CAS on crucial sticks is 8, and I just checked they're going for $125 atm.
m
l
May 10, 2012 7:32:23 PM

dkcomputer said:
Quote:

Avoid 4 sticks when you can, it auto slows down your RAM, and the CAS on crucial sticks is 8, and I just checked they're going for $125 atm.

It increases load on the memory controller, decreasing memory frequency efficiency VERY slightly (also increases CPU power usage slightly due to the increased memory controller load). Less than a 1% drop. I have a Phenom II system with four modules and I've compared benchmarks and real-world differences between having two and all four modules and I actually look into why it works how it does.

Besides, I wasn't even advocating having a 4x4GB setup (nor even having 16GB anyway), only stating the price difference. The price difference does not justify the minute performance improvement. It does leave room for an upgrade to 32GB , but that's pretty much it.
m
l
May 11, 2012 1:39:16 PM

So I will concede that I am still putting together a system that is overpowered and will probably never get close to using to full potential and any money spent will not factor into any vacation plans or thoughts about anything. Maybe the thread should have read "System for a early mid-life crisis". I would like your opinions based not on me but on someone that games frequently but not a hardcore gamer and is @ or close to budget limit. I'm not looking to save $ anywhere other than maybe a cheaper cpu cooler but already feel good about cutting roughly $1500 from original build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131798

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835181017

High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11199-00-20G)

My main concern would be that the PSU would hold up after repeated hours of gaming? The system will still likely never be OC'd.
Thanks again
m
l
May 11, 2012 2:42:12 PM

Yes the PSU is fine but I would go with the Seasonic X series 750w PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it is 25$ less for a PSU just as good if not better than the Antec.

And I really do not recommend getting the Corsair H100. I have heard their pumps make a lot of noise (more than the loud fans) and that you need to mod it to get rid of the sound. A good air cooler will suffice- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also I love you motherboard and GPU choice. You really don't need more than a 7870 for 1080p. But I think you should look into the just released yesterday GTX 670, it outperforms the 7970 by quite a bit and it only comes for a 50$ premium to that 7870 which is absolutely destroys.

m
l

Best solution

May 11, 2012 5:24:26 PM

The 670 doesn't really outperform the 7970; the 7970, 670, and 680 all trade blows, depending on the game and resolution, settings, and AA/AF. Most of Tom's game and configuration choices in their reviews are a little Nvidia favoring (not their fault, it's just that a lot of today's more popular games favor Nvidia cards a little, the AMD architectures seem to need a little more optimization because they are often more parallel focused and are a little harder to use efficiently except at high resolutions and/or in DX9 because AMD has been optimizing for DX9 for some reaosn). Tom's is working on a new review involving overclocked performance between the two companies and that is something where AMD has been beating Nvidia, so who knows? It might show them on more equal footing (if you overclock). Since you say you don't overclock and you probably won't be playing in very high resolutions (above 4MP), I'd recommend the 670 too.

The motherboard and CPU are still overboard for this (I'd get a Z77 board with an Ivy Bridge i7 instead), but they are top notch. Considering the time frame that you seem to be after, the X79 board and i7-3930K are probably a better idea anyway.

Like mjmjpfaff said, I'd switch out that water cooler with an air cooler and the one that mjmjpfaff chose seems to be excellent.

I would change out the Samsung 830 for a Vertex 4. They are the fastest non-SandForce drive (SandForce being the least reliable in order to be as fast as it is, so the Vertex 4's being both fast and reliable is quite the feat) for all workloads and beat the SandForce drives more than often enough too. The 830 is another non-SandForce drive, but it's not as fast. The Vertex 4s probably aren't anymore expensive than the 830 drives, so there' no reason to not get them. The new firmware for the Vertex 4s is propelled them to the top and since it's pretty new, there probably aren't many reviews of them yet.

The only problem is that an SSD (regardless of the brand) is probably not going to last as long as you want this computer to last. You'll probably need to replace it, regardless of which one you choose, at least once in five to eight years of usage. Two replacements are not too unlikely, although going beyond that is rare. Just keep it backed up to a large hard drive just in case, so you can replace it easily if it fails. Usually, failure isn't the problem, it's just that SSDs slow down over time much more than hard drives do (although they start off so much faster than hard drives that if you don't keep them as long as you want to keep this computer, that's rarely a problem).

On the PSU, I prefer Antec, Seasonic, and Corsair as my PSU brands (although I do deviate occasionally to try out another if it looks very good, Azza surprised me as being a good brand that I had never heard of before trying them out in a recent build), so I might switch it out. That PSU you chose has only 14 reviews and I don't like to take a chance on a PSU that has less than 45 or so reviews (or one that has fewer, but is five star and I read all of the current reviews and it seems worth the money). I'm not saying that it's not high quality, only that it might not be great. I'd definitely go for a different brand, or at least a different model that has more reviews, but still fits your needs.

Your system looks good, just consider the changes that I and mjmjpfaff recommended looking into to be sure that it is great.
May 11, 2012 7:10:33 PM

Thanks I will go with the Seasonic X series 750w PSU and the Vertex 4. I don't mind a slow down in an ssd over time and it will be easy enough to add a new one as the primary but more prone to crash/fail would suck although I would generally at most lose 6 months of currnet family photos.

I am also cool going with the air-cooler vs water cooler. I had read that the fans were quite noisy in the reviews for it but figured it couldn't be much louder the video card fan squeeling for months before it died and thought it would look less obtrusive since the case made the inside visible (I thought a convertible was a requirement for a mid-life crisis).

Newegg at the moment have the brands MSI, EVGA, Galaxy and Zotac GTX 670 in stock and only $20 diffrence in pricing and all have 3 yrs parts warranty except for Zotac which is 2yrs. Do you guys have an opinion on the brands or cards that are available for the moment or should I just give it another couple of weeks to see if another/better brand becomes available?

m
l
May 11, 2012 7:18:11 PM

I've had good luck with MSI and EVGA, although I hate EVGA's support. Never bought galaxy or zotac. I'll put a $2500 build together for you, but note that the case, psu, motherboard, and cooling solutions are all personal preferances - however the HD, processor, ram, and graphics card I suggest you do not change.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:27:16 PM

dkcomputer said:
I've had good luck with MSI and EVGA, although I hate EVGA's support. Never bought galaxy or zotac. I'll put a $2500 build together for you, but note that the case, psu, motherboard, and cooling solutions are all personal preferances - however the HD, processor, ram, and graphics card I suggest you do not change.

The current build and recommendations are already more than even reasonable, why spend even more money on it? Also, I've never had a problem with EVGA support, nor have I even heard of problems. They often even offer free upgrades when one of their cards fails. EVGA is the most recommended brand for Nvidia graphics cards.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:32:45 PM

dkcomputer said:

Thanks for the info I'm pretty much a noob anymore and get tired of reading customer reviews, which are good any way they review it but I'm tired or reading them at this point... I thought the case was just about personal choice but also I think it was one in a review of tom's as having plenty of space for the H100 which was part of my original build...
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:39:50 PM

Baba Bouie said:
Thanks for the info I'm pretty much a noob anymore and get tired of reading customer reviews, which are good any way they review it but I'm tired or reading them at this point... I thought the case was just about personal choice but also I think it was one in a review of tom's as having plenty of space for the H100 which was part of my original build...

Buy the cooler if you want to, but it's of little use if you're not overclocking greatly or something like that. Water cooling is best done if you make a custom cooling setup and even then, unless you are running that processor at a frequency that a good air cooler can't handle, it's still just more expensive for little gain.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:40:55 PM

blazorthon said:
The current build and recommendations are already more than even reasonable, why spend even more money on it? Also, I've never had a problem with EVGA support, nor have I even heard of problems. They often even offer free upgrades when one of their cards fails. EVGA is the most recommended brand for Nvidia graphics cards.

Glad to hear that about EVGA.
I think I am pretty much set, now I just have to get my marbles rolling in the same direction. Thinking about just getting everything from Newegg as a lot of the reviews I've read on there have had positive feedback on delivery time and after I buy something I want it now, unfortunately I'm impatient that way.

As far as an OS is concern am I any better off going ultimate vs pro. And does anyone not buy the oem version? Am I correct in understanding that the only difference is that the oem doesn't come with support?
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:48:21 PM

blazorthon said:
Buy the cooler if you want to, but it's of little use if you're not overclocking greatly or something like that. Water cooling is best done if you make a custom cooling setup and even then, unless you are running that processor at a frequency that a good air cooler can't handle, it's still just more expensive for little gain.

I did kind of figure it was for the overclocker but my original thinking in addition to aesthetics was that if I was going to go with the 3960x I should make sure it stayed cool. I would assume for my situation most decent air coolers would be adequate not to mention a good one.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:55:13 PM

Toto comes to about $3k, this is getting 2x 680's. I have done SLI with the ASUS cards before on 580's they work great.

If you want to throw money at a machine that will make you smile every time you look at it this would do, if you want to hit the $4k mark and make you lol every time you see it swap to 4 reference 680's and go 4way sli, and get a 1200w psu.

If you were a client of mine I'd advise no sli or quad sli, but some people can't see the frame stuttering so 2way sli might not bother you - I can't let you sample renderings on my rig with 2, 3, and 4way sli running and I doubt you have anyone in town who can sample that for you either. Some people don't see it, some do. It does almost disappear when you go 4way though.

If you've got the cash to spend on an insane rig that would get you loads of pleasure out of it do the $4k, but don't go liquid cooling - you will have this build for a long time, and with liquid you're bound to have pumps fail, liquid leak, or something after several years. There will be no upgrading on this build, you want something you can spray with a can of air and be done - not replace hoses and waterpumps a few times (which you normally won't do till something busts, breaks, or damages components, much like people and their washing machine hoses which have a 1 yr warranty)

Some people get a kick out of owning a sports car they drive to work at 70mph everyday, I get a kick out of an awesome computer I use everyday at its max. If you're like me, and you've got the funds set aside, I don't think you will regret it.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:03:10 PM

Baba Bouie said:
Glad to hear that about EVGA.
I think I am pretty much set, now I just have to get my marbles rolling in the same direction. Thinking about just getting everything from Newegg as a lot of the reviews I've read on there have had positive feedback on delivery time and after I buy something I want it now, unfortunately I'm impatient that way.

As far as an OS is concern am I any better off going ultimate vs pro. And does anyone not buy the oem version? Am I correct in understanding that the only difference is that the oem doesn't come with support?

Ultimate combines the features of Pro and Home Premium. Money obviously isn't a problem for you, so you might as well pick up Ultimate. The OEM version isn't one that you buy, it comes with OEM computers. Retail is what you can buy.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:18:45 PM

dkcomputer said:

Toto comes to about $3k, this is getting 2x 680's. I have done SLI with the ASUS cards before on 580's they work great.

If you want to throw money at a machine that will make you smile every time you look at it this would do, if you want to hit the $4k mark and make you lol every time you see it swap to 4 reference 680's and go 4way sli, and get a 1200w psu.

If you were a client of mine I'd advise no sli or quad sli, but some people can't see the frame stuttering so 2way sli might not bother you - I can't let you sample renderings on my rig with 2, 3, and 4way sli running and I doubt you have anyone in town who can sample that for you either. Some people don't see it, some do. It does almost disappear when you go 4way though.

If you've got the cash to spend on an insane rig that would get you loads of pleasure out of it do the $4k, but don't go liquid cooling - you will have this build for a long time, and with liquid you're bound to have pumps fail, liquid leak, or something after several years. There will be no upgrading on this build, you want something you can spray with a can of air and be done - not replace hoses and waterpumps a few times (which you normally won't do till something busts, breaks, or damages components, much like people and their washing machine hoses which have a 1 yr warranty)

Some people get a kick out of owning a sports car they drive to work at 70mph everyday, I get a kick out of an awesome computer I use everyday at its max. If you're like me, and you've got the funds set aside, I don't think you will regret it.

Vertex 4 is the best SSD choice right now.

128GB model

256GB model
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:20:18 PM

you can buy oem copies of windows for new system builds. If you think its illegal, call them.

I agree with the vertex4 being better, but I like ssd's with established reputations after all the failed ones I went through when they first started releasing.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:32:39 PM

dkcomputer said:
you can buy oem copies of windows for new system builds. If you think its illegal, call them.

I agree with the vertex4 being better, but I like ssd's with established reputations after all the failed ones I went through when they first started releasing.

I'm not saying whether it's illegal or not, just that you're usually supposed to pick up a retail copy. OEM copies are supposed to be used on OEM machines.
m
l
May 12, 2012 7:16:07 PM

dkcomputer said:

A beast of a build, if I could only game 4-5 hrs. a day (sweet memories) but as it is if I can get in 2 hrs of MW3 on the xbox in a week it's been a good week.

I may have a ram height clearance issue with the Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 and know that Noctua DH-14 wouldn't have an issue. So my question is if you recommend using the Artic Silver instead of the thermal paste that Noctua supplies with the cooler?

I haven't yet looked real closely at the dimensions of the MB or if the ram slots next to the cpu still needed to be populated first. If the cooler master wasn't about a pound lighter and so much smaller I probably wouldn't care and go with the Noctua but I know it will be years before I do anything to really make the cpu work.

m
l
May 12, 2012 7:23:52 PM

The cooling paste that is supplied with the cooler should be more than adequate. Buying better paste (if it's even going to be better) won't make much of a difference and is really only significant if you want to overclock the CPU greatly.
m
l
May 12, 2012 8:48:20 PM

blazorthon said:
The cooling paste that is supplied with the cooler should be more than adequate. Buying better paste (if it's even going to be better) won't make much of a difference and is really only significant if you want to overclock the CPU greatly.

Sounds good. I would guess they wouldn't supply something that wasn't adequate anyway. Does the Artic Silver have a shelf life after being opened? I still have most of a tube left after fixing my old xbox 360 (worked for 2 weeks before the red ring of death came back) and it is about 2 years old.
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:26:40 PM

I would assume that it has long shelf lives, but I don't know for sure. It would need to last for at least several years between a CPU and the cooler, so it should be fine.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:34:42 PM

its like a 2 year shelf life. Imho if you're going to spend $100 on a cooler, spend $8 on the best paste. They ship crappy stuff. People don't understand the profit margins these companies work off of are like 5%. Look at ivy bridge and its crappy thermal paste - I'd pay $10 for better thermal paste if I could, but they don't care they can't ship 100 options. Same with any heatsink manufacturer.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:45:30 PM

dkcomputer said:
its like a 2 year shelf life. Imho if you're going to spend $100 on a cooler, spend $8 on the best paste. They ship crappy stuff. People don't understand the profit margins these companies work off of are like 5%. Look at ivy bridge and its crappy thermal paste - I'd pay $10 for better thermal paste if I could, but they don't care they can't ship 100 options. Same with any heatsink manufacturer.

Intel switched the old, far superior solder used in previous generations with paste... They didn't trade good paste for bad paste (although they are probably using bad paste anyway). Also, no, the paste that ships with most coolers is not crap. It's always at least adequate.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:01:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I just put my order in on Newegg last night/this morning depending on your time zone... Here is what I ended up ordering minus keyboard, mouse, monitor and 7 ultimate.

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Desktop+Memory)-_-G.SKILL-_-20231537
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
AFT PRO-57U All-in-one USB 3.0 5.25" Media Card Reader

Total came to $2300 after $30 newegg gift card, $20 mail-in rebate for case and -$25 for MB/CPU combo.
I auto notified for every ASUS/EVGA 670 and 680, missed out on an ASUS 680 around 5pm and scooped the EVGA 670 around 8pm and ordered the rest of the system later in the night. I went with the H100 even though it has a small percentage of 1 or 2 egg reviews, I had read a review of the Noctua that said it touched their video card on the same MB I ordered. I also figure it will make it much easier to access drive bays seeing as I only ordered 1 256gb ssd and assume I will be adding another a year or two down the road.
Now I'm just hoping for no DOAs.
Thanks again
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:03:36 PM

Best answer selected by Baba Bouie.
m
l
!