Sign in with
Your question

Plugging Case Fans to Z77E-ITX MB

Last response: in Components
August 26, 2012 2:20:01 PM

Hey guys!

First time i'm building a PC here so cut me some slack :whistle: 

Ok... about my setup: I have a Lian Li PC-Q25 case (1x 140mm + 1x 120mm 3-pin stock fans included) and a ASRock Z77E-ITX mobo (1 CPU cooler + 1 case fan 4-pin header built in) which i'm trying to plug altogether.

Some reviews i've read weren't so favorable regarding the stock fans quietness so i decided to replace them for some decent quality aftermarket fans. I was looking at the Noctua fans but open for suggestions. I've replaced my stock CPU cooler for a Prolimatech Samuel 17 (which will not block my PCIe slot like other options would) so i will need an extra 120mm fan to go on top of it.

For the CPU fan, i was looking at the Noctua NF-F12 PWM (1500RPM) which seems like a good option. This is a PWM 4-pin fan that would plug directly into the MB CPU fan header.

Regarding the case fans, i was looking at the following:

Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm 1200RPM 3-pin fan for the case front (Noctua doesn't seem to have 140mm PWM fans);
Noctua NF-S12B-FLX 120mm 1200RPM 3-pin fan or a Noctua NF-P12 PWM 120mm 1300RPM 4-pin fan for the case top;

Considering my MB only has 1 case fan 4-pin header (PWM compatible) included, what's the best way around this?

I was trying to avoid the molex adapters so my fans won't run full speed at all times... and even if i wanted to, i don't have any spare molex anymore (my PSU has 3 and they are all required by the Lian Li's HDD backplane), only a bunch of unused SATA power connectors.

Could i use a Arctic Cooling PST Cable (some sort or Y cable) and plug both to the case fan header?

Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 6:20:14 AM

i use a Noctua 120mm 1300rpm for my hyper 212 cpu cooler,i think they are great fans,a bit expensive but very quiet,the 1500rpm for the cpu would be fine
September 3, 2012 11:52:14 PM

The Noctua fan brought a Y cable included.

Thanks guys.
!