PCI-E 2.0 x16 card on v1.1

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
What's up guys, I'm going to buy a GTX 550 TI Gigabyte card but first to do that, overcome a question.

Actually my Foxconn motherboard have one PCI-E v1.1 x16 slot witch handle out 250 MB/s.

Then i gone check specs of 550 card and i saw support for v2.0 x16 ----> handle 500 MB/s .

Now I'm questioning if that card , running in my current PCI, will run on limited capacity? (or something like other power requirements witch v1.1 have different ?)

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
And for this card exist an additional pin connector in corner ,for power. But do i need put that cable or if only installing SLI ? With other words, what criteria should i look?

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
@Wolfshadw

Hey wolf, if you have some secs to spare, please check youtube(dot)com/watch?v=BaTpiFh8Ivg and as you see from 3:08

that guy clearly tells he not recommend using the extra cable. He instead suggest updating PSU , so if I'm going to buy this card+OCZ ModX of 500W might be ok considering the recommend of that guy ?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your current power supply does not have the 6-Pin PCI-E power cable, then it's probably a good idea to go ahead and upgrade the power supply. I tend to stick with power supplies from Antec or Corsair, so I can't give you any advice about the OCZ. It does have plenty of good reviews on Newegg. However, if this is going into an older system, then make sure it has all the older power leads you need as well as the newer ones for your graphics card.

-Wolf sends

justdlnow

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah cuz OEM was so bastards to put in this PC a 250W psu -.-'... so, i'm stick to that 500W OCZ for 50 bucks, i think is good solution , have also 82% efficiency ..