Changing Screen Resolution

I would like to change my screen resolution, but when I change it, I lose
part of my screen. (Black for about an 1 1/2 inches on either side of viewing
area) How can I change the resolution and have it fill my screen?
8 answers Last reply
More about changing screen resolution

    "dlsrzbb" <dlsrzbb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | I would like to change my screen resolution, but when I change it, I lose
    | part of my screen. (Black for about an 1 1/2 inches on either side of viewing
    | area) How can I change the resolution and have it fill my screen?

    If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen resolution
    without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).

    In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size and
    placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the right or
    left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"

    Is it a CRT?

    If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then post
    the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and *Horizontal
    Size* with the screen controls.
    I have the same problem with some resolutions.

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "dlsrzbb" <dlsrzbb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > | I would like to change my screen resolution, but when I change it, I
    > lose
    > | part of my screen. (Black for about an 1 1/2 inches on either side of
    > viewing
    > | area) How can I change the resolution and have it fill my screen?
    >
    > If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen
    > resolution
    > without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).
    >
    > In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    > "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size and
    > placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the right
    > or
    > left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"
    >
    > Is it a CRT?
    >
    > If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then
    > post
    > the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    zulu,

    I am so sorry. In my reply to ld, i was telling him/her, the answer I had
    found to my own problem. I should have posted that I found the solution.
    That info was my solution. Thank you for trying to help.

    "zulu" wrote:

    > If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and *Horizontal
    > Size* with the screen controls.
    > I have the same problem with some resolutions.
    >
    > "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dlsrzbb" <dlsrzbb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > | I would like to change my screen resolution, but when I change it, I
    > > lose
    > > | part of my screen. (Black for about an 1 1/2 inches on either side of
    > > viewing
    > > | area) How can I change the resolution and have it fill my screen?
    > >
    > > If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen
    > > resolution
    > > without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).
    > >
    > > In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    > > "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size and
    > > placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the right
    > > or
    > > left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"
    > >
    > > Is it a CRT?
    > >
    > > If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then
    > > post
    > > the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    Hey I have those buttons on my LCD monitor. I can get that window to pop up
    showing me I have those options, but how do I change them. I've changed my
    resolution as well and now have that same blank space on the side.

    "zulu" wrote:

    > If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and *Horizontal
    > Size* with the screen controls.
    > I have the same problem with some resolutions.
    >
    > "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dlsrzbb" <dlsrzbb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > | I would like to change my screen resolution, but when I change it, I
    > > lose
    > > | part of my screen. (Black for about an 1 1/2 inches on either side of
    > > viewing
    > > | area) How can I change the resolution and have it fill my screen?
    > >
    > > If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen
    > > resolution
    > > without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).
    > >
    > > In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    > > "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size and
    > > placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the right
    > > or
    > > left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"
    > >
    > > Is it a CRT?
    > >
    > > If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then
    > > post
    > > the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    When you get into the Vertical (or Horizontal) Size window, you should find
    that two of thw buttons become + and -.
    That's how mine works, anyway!
    Have a play, it's often the only way to learn.
    (The hard way...)
    :-)
    HTH

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦

    "RoseWilliam5" <RoseWilliam5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey I have those buttons on my LCD monitor. I can get that window to pop
    > up
    > showing me I have those options, but how do I change them. I've changed
    > my
    > resolution as well and now have that same blank space on the side.
    >
    > "zulu" wrote:
    >
    >> If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and
    >> *Horizontal
    >> Size* with the screen controls.
    >> I have the same problem with some resolutions.
    >>
    >> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > lose
    >> > viewing
    >> >
    >> > If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen
    >> > resolution
    >> > without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).
    >> >
    >> > In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    >> > "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size
    >> > and
    >> > placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the
    >> > right
    >> > or
    >> > left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"
    >> >
    >> > Is it a CRT?
    >> >
    >> > If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then
    >> > post
    >> > the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    Ok, figured that one out so far, but that only resizes the window itself, not
    the content inside the window. ??? Grrrrr

    "zulu" wrote:

    > When you get into the Vertical (or Horizontal) Size window, you should find
    > that two of thw buttons become + and -.
    > That's how mine works, anyway!
    > Have a play, it's often the only way to learn.
    > (The hard way...)
    > :-)
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > ¦ zulu ¦
    >
    > "RoseWilliam5" <RoseWilliam5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey I have those buttons on my LCD monitor. I can get that window to pop
    > > up
    > > showing me I have those options, but how do I change them. I've changed
    > > my
    > > resolution as well and now have that same blank space on the side.
    > >
    > > "zulu" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and
    > >> *Horizontal
    > >> Size* with the screen controls.
    > >> I have the same problem with some resolutions.
    > >>
    > >> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    No probs.
    I was probably having my daily dose of Senior Brainfade!

    "dlsrzbb" <dlsrzbb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > zulu,
    >
    > I am so sorry. In my reply to ld, i was telling him/her, the answer I had
    > found to my own problem. I should have posted that I found the solution.
    > That info was my solution. Thank you for trying to help.
    >
    > "zulu" wrote:
    >
    >> If it's a CRT, you should be able to adjust *Vertical Size* and
    >> *Horizontal
    >> Size* with the screen controls.
    >> I have the same problem with some resolutions.
    >>
    >> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > lose
    >> > viewing
    >> >
    >> > If you have a plasma or LCD screen, there will be only one screen
    >> > resolution
    >> > without black borders or distortion (with LCD-stretch).
    >> >
    >> > In your reply to LD, you wrote:
    >> > "on my monitor, there is a button that I can push to access the size
    >> > and
    >> > placement of the picture on my screen. I can move the picture to the
    >> > right
    >> > or
    >> > left, up or down and make it smaller or larger. I have a Sony monitor"
    >> >
    >> > Is it a CRT?
    >> >
    >> > If you get no help here, could you ask Sony technical support, and then
    >> > post
    >> > the technical details of their reply here in this thread?

    Pass.
    Sorry I can't help more!

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦
    Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT

    > Ok, figured that one out so far, but that only resizes the window itself,
    > not
    > the content inside the window. ??? Grrrrr
    >
    > "zulu" wrote:
    >
    >> When you get into the Vertical (or Horizontal) Size window, you should
    >> find
    >> that two of thw buttons become + and -.
    >> That's how mine works, anyway!
    >> Have a play, it's often the only way to learn.
    >> (The hard way...)
    >> :-)
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >> ¦ zulu ¦
    >>
    >> "RoseWilliam5" <RoseWilliam5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey I have those buttons on my LCD monitor. I can get that window to
    >> > pop
    >> > up
    >> > showing me I have those options, but how do I change them. I've
    >> > changed
    >> > my
    >> > resolution as well and now have that same blank space on the side.

Configuration Screen Resolution Microsoft Customization Windows XP