Sign in with
Your question

First build, and I have 2 questions regarding cables

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2012 10:41:57 PM

Ok both my questions regard my cables for the front panel

My first is for my Power LED.

My case (rosewill Blackbone) has a 2 pin connector for my Power LED, and they are split into 1 pin each.

My Mobo has a 3 pin connector for power LED.

They are marked like so

[] [] []
+ -

This may be stupid but do I just plug the + in the + and - in the -? It feels off having an empty pin in between them and just kind of leaves me uneasy since I do not want to mess it up.

Other question is something I could not find in any of the instruction manuals and I was just curious about.

Regarding the 9 pin USB connection on the Mobo, does that do all of the functions needed for the front USB to operate, or is that simply to power them? I ask because the front connections have a SATA cable as well, but I was unsure if that was needed for data to be transferred through the USB ports or not. My front panel also contains a socket for external SATA so that may be the only reason for that cable, but I am not sure and was just curious.

Thank you for any answers, they are greatly appreciated :D 

More about : build questions cables

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2012 11:04:40 PM

The power led does depend on polarity. Connect the + on the front panel lead to the + on the motherboard connector.
Similarly for the - .

If you should get it wrong, nothing bad will happen, the led will just not light up and you can switch the connections.

The 9 pin usb connectors have all you need to power and operate the front panel usb ports.

m
l
May 9, 2012 11:13:26 PM

The Asus motherboard should have shipped with a "Q" connector...allows you to put all your wires to the adapter then the adapter just slides on the pins on your motherboard...should be clearly marked as to what wires connect from your front panel with printing on the side of the connector in black!!

geofelt told you absolutely correct though and if you didn't find the "Q" connector...then you can follow his directions.

Nice job geofelt...just wanted to let scorpmrat know about the adapter to make things a bit easier and clearer.
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2012 12:03:04 AM

Thank you guys, helps a lot ^ ^.

I actually have a gigabyte motherboard so I do not have a connector like you describe. I will give it a shot by making that connection and hope it works :p 

Just need to wait on my HDD that still hasnt come yet to finish ><
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2012 12:20:48 AM

scorpmrat said:
Thank you guys, helps a lot ^ ^.

I actually have a gigabyte motherboard so I do not have a connector like you describe. I will give it a shot by making that connection and hope it works :p 

Just need to wait on my HDD that still hasnt come yet to finish ><

While you are waiting, put the motherboard on the box it came in and connect all of the parts you have to test the functionality before putting it in the case.
This is called "breadboarding" and experienced builders will do this.

It is a good time to run memtest86+ to check out the ram. It does not need an OS

If your motherboard does not have a pwr switch, just touch the two pwr switch pins momentarily to turn it on.
m
l
!