Unlocked 6950 and 6970 in xfire?

Solution
If the 6950 is flashed with a full 6970 BIOS then yes that should work. However, why not save the money and get another 6950 and flash it as well?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'd think it would work, but with stability problems. If it weren't such a crap shoot on whether or not any given 6950 would unlock, I'd suggest picking up another one to unlock for crossfire.

I think you're treading in some fairly new territory.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Yeah that's why the question came up. I was lucky to get one card that unlocked.

If adding one 6970 is going to give the same performance as two in xfire, I have another option than taking a chance at another unlock.

If it matters, I just unlocked the shaders on the 6950; didn't flash a 6970 bios to it.

What stability issues would you think may come up?

I don't see there being stability issues besides those inherent with flashing a 6950.

If you only did the shader unlock though... well, 6970s operate with slightly lower VRAM timings and of course different clocks and voltage. The memory timings might cause some stuttering issues, and the clocks would basically go to waste unless you OC the 6950 to the same levels as well.

A lot of that would depend on the resolution you play at. At 1080p, you'll find you'll get CPU bottlenecked rather easily with crossfire, and you also go beyond your monitors refresh rate often, however at high resolutions there is a bigger difference. That said, it still isn't huge, so it may not be a bad idea to relock your 6950 and get another. It'll run quieter and cooler too.