whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I have a spare SSD (OCZ Onyx 32GB) that has a few issues (Windows keeps complaining about volume errors and wants to constantly do CHKDSK) but for the most part still works, now I was wondering if I could use this drive as a dedicated pagefile drive or maybe something else on another PC?

The PC I want to use it on is as follows:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3.1GHz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800
Motherboard: ECS A740GM-M
HDD: Seagate barracuda 250GB 7200.12 16MB cache SATA III
Sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy platinum EX

Solution

If need be.

OCZ will probably replace a problamatical card with a better newer generation card.

For a couple bucks to mail it, why not?
If you have a ssd with issues, particularly an older one, dump it.

The last thing you want is to use it on a critical component like the page file or the os and have it fail.

You might try to get it fixed, possibly with a flash from the OCZ web site.
If you get it working well, use it for the os(including the page file) where you will see the performance.

I would also get another 2gb of ram. It will make a difference.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Well I don't exactly feel like dumping something I bought about 3 months ago.... I was thinking that a page file on the SSD would be safe because if the SSD fails windows will automatically make a page file on the hdd. Also using an SSD as a boot drive on vista is a no go for me (no TRIM!).

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
i do not think that would work out as well as you would think any way. SSD's tend to have slow write times. Whooleo is correct about increasing the available amount of ram.
Otherwise your pc would bottleneck waiting for the cache to be written to the SSD when it could just go strait to ram. Plus with WIN7 they have lowered the need for large page files. Because by now most systems should have at least 4 gigs of ram. not that anything is wrong with 2 gigs. Its just that it is 2 gigs.

If it is only 3 months old, it should be under warranty. Try to rma it. Chances are, that OCZ will give you a better replacement.

No trim is not an absolute killer, particularly if the ssd has background garbage collection, or you don't do many writes.
Try it for Vista or the page file and see which works out better.

So you want to use the SSD for pagefile, you are not current doing?

Sure, do it.

But the root of the problem is the hard drive, due to the decription of the problem.

Or do you get the error with the SSD in the rig, when used as a boot drive to Vista? Then it's a lack of TRIM?

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Extra RAM is out of the question because this is DDR2 and DDR2 is not that cheap. Don't want to RMA because I'm going to have to spend on shipping and such just to get the same drive and have it fail again. So at this point I just need to use this thing for something on that PC (I don't care if it gets abused, it's going to break anyway).

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Well I mean it boots up and loads windows fine but a few files usually get corrupted and windows wants to CHKDSK a lot. Also the reviews on most OCZ drives, especially this one, are pretty bad with people saying that an RMA just gets you another dud.