No Video

Ok, so this is my first build I've done myself without another assisting (A.K.A. I did about 10% of the work, and watched the other 90% get done with previous builds), and the last time I built a computer was about 6 1/2 years ago. But I have run into a problem.

I set everything in the case, pluged it all in, and powered it on, but there was no video.
Tried using HDMI and the DVI ports, neither worked.

I went back and took the Video Cards out, and tested out all the RAM one at a time. All the RAM checked out alright.
Aside from that, I am at a loss. Here is what happens in different setups:

If I have my RAM inserted into the motherboard, but no Video Cards, the LED lights flash on for each component tested for (CPU, Memory, VGA, SATA), It confirms there is no VGA card in the ports (One beep, then three more), and then it lights up the SATA LED and has a 1-4 (One beep, then four) beep code, which according to the manual means Hardware failure.


I then try it with one of the the two video cards in the slot (We'll refer to them as Card A and Card B). With Card A inserted, it goes through part of the LED flashes (CPU, Memory, then VGA), pauses, then repeats the sequence again. There are no beeps, and it just hangs on the LED light for VGA untill I power the sysem off. Still no Video.
When I insert card B, it goes through the LED sequence fully, but I have the same issue with the SATA check (Hardware failure)

I have tried taking out each of the components hooked up to the SATA ports (Two HDD's, One SSD, and my Optical Drive). No matter what combination I use, it always has the 1-4 beep error for Hardware failure.

At this point I am at a loss as to what my issue is. I've checked everything I can think of, asaide from dissasembling and rebuilding the computer again. Any assistance would be appriciated.

Specifications:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU: Intel i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling
Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 8GB (4gb x2) DDR3 1866 (x4) (32GB Total)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB (x2)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC (x2)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W 80 Plus Gold
Optical Drive: Asus Black 12X BD-ROM
Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" LCD

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7ZHO Is the Part Picker list for links if that helps more.

Any other info you need just ask. I've spent about 6 hours trying to get this figured out but I'm just not good enough with this yet. Unsure if I screwed up somewhere, or if something needs to be RMA'd.
8 answers Last reply
More about video
  1. Hi there,

    Did u plug in the power cable for GPU card?
  2. Yeah, I check all my power connections. Everything is plugged in. The video Cards are running (The fans are spinning on them at least) as far as I can tell.
  3. OK, i would start with the BIOS.

    Can u reset the BIOS?
    Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
    How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
  4. I cleared the CMOS (Just did it again too) but nothing yet.
  5. Is it 1 long and 3 short beeps?
  6. I would run just 1 stick and tried till 1 works.
  7. Ok, I got it figured out. Seems there was a couple issues. One, I had the CPU fan plugged into the wrong port on the motherboard (>.<). Also I swapped around my GPUs and checked them out, seems one of them is DOA. So everything seems to be good so far. Though my CPU seems to be running fairly warm right now (55-60 C). I may need to redo the thermal paste. I'll return if anything else comes up. Thanks for the assistance!
  8. Cool : )
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems