Looking for awesome LCD monitor 23-27" and price point

homerjsimpso

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hey Guys,

I've spent 3 days combing the web for info on what LCD to buy. I'm looking for something that 80% of the time will be for office work, and the rest will be for gaming (D3) and some photoshop etc. Behing a techy, I'm unfortunately getting too into this. Budget is also key. I wanted a 27" but from what I can tell, there's big price jump from 24" (around $300) to 27" (up to $500) so it just doesn't make sense to me.

IPS with LED backlight panels seem the way to go for colour, and the response time is negligible since I've tested D3 beta on them and some NFS games and I don't see any ghosting, streaming, smearing, bright/dark spots etc.

Currenly, my top pick is going to be the Dell U2412m. Had a hands-on today and the colours were phenomenal, and showed details that other monitors wouldn't capture. I've read the U2410m is more solid of a monitor with better colour quality, but again, I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $100 or so for the word 'better' and nothing concrete to rely on.

What are you thoughts on the Dell U2412m? Any suggestions on alternatives within this price range? Help, as always, is appreciated.

Well right on the headline news of this site it says Deal of the day. It is a Planar 27 inch monitor thru various outlets for $209.99 and free shipping. I have a Hanns-G 28 inch 1920x1200 monitor and I absolutely love it. Cant vouch for Planar but its a screaming deal.

homerjsimpso

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Samsung is always nice, I'm a huge fan. But when you compare IPS panels to TN, the color representation just isn't there. So really it comes down to either a 24" IPS like the Dell I mentioned, or something like the Samsung which does look pretty nice. Budget panels just won't cut it for me since I don't want sheer size and no quality (unelss of course their branded panels in non-branded plastic enclosures the way Samsung produces for ASUS). Only thing in that case is, is 1920x1080 enough at 27"? Or should you step to higher resolutions, and again, higher prices?

Size vs quality...