AMD & ATI what does the future hold?

outlaw2001it

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
The questions that I have are:
1. Will we be seeing a whole new line of Motherboards with ATI chipsets?
2. What is the future for Nvidia chipset Motherboards?
3. Is Intel going to turn around and buy Nvidia?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

3.Intel has got it's own chipsets
2.Depending on the position ATI will asume, Nvida will have more or less hard work to do.
1.Maybe, however, one thing is sure; AMD will have home made chipsets and this can't ba a bad thing.

jocksteeluk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
it means higher and stagnating prices within the video card market and a possible slowdown in development. i think this acquisition will force people onto the only independant format left and that will be intel because i think third party makers may dry up for the amd-ati company

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
What are you talking about? Intel has thrown to the curb anyone they could have considered a partner. AMD has got where it is because of working so well with its partners. The little guys usually have to work together to be able to compete with the big guys and that's all that is happening here. Nvidia will have less guess work to do in designing both chipsets and future GPU's because any compatibility issues will be much easier to take care of or avoid in the first place. In other words, we should finally see so well done drivers from both.

Totty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005
The future holds ... *drumroll* ... higher prices for consumers whether they buy AMD or Intel.

Reduction in competition == consumers get screwed :?

outlaw2001it

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
So true...look at Microsoft. The other way that I look at it is, if AMD & ATI work together it actually may lower prices, because the technology will be availble between the two.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
And what competition has been eliminated?

ATI still has to compete with Nvidia. AMD still has to compete with Intel. Its still Crossfire vs. SLI and K8 (later K8L) vs. Conroe.

So where exactly has competition disappeared? The only thing we'll see now is tighter integration between AMD and ATI products. But that doesn't mean we'll see an end in competition with Nvidia on the AMD side or an end in competition with ATI on the Intel side.

Unless Nvidia and Intel whine like little girls and go home.

Exterous

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
i have said this on another thread and it is that i hope AMD still allow ATI to be a seprate company whilst still benefitting. if they try to make ATI their lapdog then the gfx cards may suffer as they will probably be more interested in chipsets.

I agree. I think a good example is the Dell/Alienware buyout. Granted its still young but there haven't been any major changes (that I'm aware of) to Alienware other than increased buying power. AMD would be crazy to make ATI their lapdogs, it would alienate a large segment of ATI gfx buyers. I hope the only big change is better AMD/ATI combo offers and better AMD competition due to 'in-house' chipsets

1. I would say that is the biggest advantage with the merger
2. Can't see nVidia doing anything different as a result of the AMD/ATI merger
3. Probably not

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
And what competition has been eliminated?

ATI still has to compete with Nvidia. AMD still has to compete with Intel. Its still Crossfire vs. SLI and K8 (later K8L) vs. Conroe.

So where exactly has competition disappeared? The only thing we'll see now is tighter integration between AMD and ATI products. But that doesn't mean we'll see an end in competition with Nvidia on the AMD side or an end in competition with ATI on the Intel side.

Unless Nvidia and Intel whine like little girls and go home.

The thing you are missing is AMD is going to integrate the GPU into its multi core CPUs eventually.... Intel will do the same thing also.... There will no longer be a graphic card need.... So NVidia needs to get merged with someone or die....

Yes chipsets will also get integrated into CPU....

I have been talking about system on a chip since this rumor started, but most people have not cought on to this.... They finally hinted at it in the press release:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/24/amd_acquires_ati/
AMD hinted that ATI's expertise in graphics may enable graphics functions that are directly integrated into the processor: "In 2008 and beyond, AMD aims to move beyond current technological configurations to transform processing technologies, with silicon-specific platforms that integrate microprocessors and graphics processors

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Actually it will be possible, but we're a long time away from that. :)

If I was Nvidia, I would be pretty angry with AMD although, I’m sure AMD would have gone with Nvidia if they had had the capitol, but seeing as Nvidia is worth quite a bit more, it won’t happen. Now Intel on the other hand… :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

Answer:

1. Yes, there will be an AMD/ATI motherboards and probably will become the best line of Crossfire platform.

2. Nvidia will be doing fine for Intel and AMD Nforce chipset motherboards will continue to sell if not be in higher deman which it is.

3. No, I don't think Intel will buy Nvidia for I don't think Nvidia want to sell the company. Both are very successful in their product so I don't see the reasons in merging.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
gpu's and chipsets being intergrated into cpu's. no chance in the home consumer market. seriously those solutions will not provide the performance IMO.

the server and business market however maybe. right now they don't need much of a GPU so it would make sense. then again for low price simple to use notebooks that idea may go far as the space savig and perhaps even power would justify it.

You don't think a 2ghz ATI GPU inside an AMD multicore CPU connected through Hypertransport will outperform todays ATI 500mhz(or whatever they are) GPU connected through the PCI-E socket....

I will let you take that back.... You couldn't be more wrong!!!!

1. ATI will be the leading supplier of chipsets for AMD. I haven't read any of the financial analyses about the merger, but I would guess that AMD is really interested in chipsets to push their CPUs.

This is an aboutface from several years where AMD only produced a couple of chipset to get sales of CPUs rolling. Then as other companies rolled out their own chipsets for Athlon CPUs, AMD quietly stopped producing thier own. This made AMD dependant on other companies to help it sell it's CPUs.

With the purchase of ATI, AMD can now suppy chipsets for their own CPUs and have a hand at quality and featureset control. No longer will AMD be dependant on other companies the drive the success of their CPUs.

It is possible that ATI will no longer make chipsets for Intel CPUs. If so, then they will probably license future graphics technology to Intel. Intel is currently licensing the Crossfire technology from ATI, that's why upcoming Intel chipsets can support Crossfire mode.

It seems people are pissed off that Intel's chipset does not support SLI, but nVidia decided not to license that technology to Intel.

2. nVidia will continue to make chipsets for both AMD and Intel. Not everyone who will have an AMD will want to stick Crossfire mode only.

3. It is unlikely Intel will acquire nVidia in my opinion. Intel is not really in the gaming GPU side of the business. Their IGPs are really meant for businesses that do not require a powerful GPU for gaming. They are interested in cost effective solutions for their employees to do their work.

Since Intel produces their own chipsets, they don't need to acquire nVidia. Their chipsets have traditionally been pretty stable.

--------------------

I think nVidia will see increased competition for chipset and IGPs on the AMD front, but they will still have a presence. nVidia should still be able to thrive as a standalone company as long as they have a diversified product portfolio such as video chips for PDAs and cellphones.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
For the stupid people around here I'll make it simple:

4 choices => 2 choices == bad for consumers ...

you are right....

I would like to see VIA make 64bit tiny form factor pc's, and not just 32 bit ones.... And hopefully the 'cell cpu' from sony/toshiba/IBM will become something.... Then we would have 4 competitors in the CPU market, instead or 2....

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
AMD must see some synergistic benefits with the merger. As this appears to be AMD taking on a new line of business, not eating up competition, it is hard to say what the objectives are. AMD must see a way to leverage ATI's expertise, personnel, etc.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I fully agree with you, Stranger. First off, die size would be an issue for integrated solutions. Secondly, (and I am not technically sound with that, so take it with a grain of salt), I agree with the graphics memory issue. If you integrate, would you have to share the system memory bus? Is that wide / fast enough? What about heat dissipation from these gigantic solutions? In summary, it appears highly unlikely.

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
i have said this on another thread and it is that i hope AMD still allow ATI to be a seprate company whilst still benefitting. if they try to make ATI their lapdog then the gfx cards may suffer as they will probably be more interested in chipsets.

I dont think it will happen cuz AMD said they don't plan on downsizing ATi at all if they do it'll be tiny, so basically ATi remains ATi they just gain access to what AMD can offer, as well as offloading some of there products to AMD Fabs which will save them money.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
And while they are at it they could include the memory and HDDs too. :p would be fun installing those MotherB size chips which would make a Prescott look like Pluto (temp wise).

The biggest GPU maker in the PC market also makes chipsets (Well actually the chipset and GPU are integrated) and processors. There is a reason they haven’t put all 3 on one chip.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I dont think it will happen cuz AMD said they don't plan on downsizing ATi at all if they do it'll be tiny, so basically ATi remains ATi they just gain access to what AMD can offer, as well as offloading some of there products to AMD Fabs which will save them money.

Bingo!!! That would be good news. If ATI starts producing its GPUs on AMDs Fabs we could look forward to less power/heat consumption on graphics cards (one can only hope)

A bad thing would be if they reforcuse on the mobile and consumer electronics markets giving Nvidia and Intel almost total monopolies (I really do not wish that).