What is Modem on hold and how do I kill it?

it starts up with my computer, yet is not in my startup files.
I can't find it in msconfig and I don't use my modem at all.
help.
5 answers Last reply
More about what modem hold kill

    Ulric Van Bergen (UVB) wrote:
    > it starts up with my computer, yet is not in my startup files.
    > I can't find it in msconfig and I don't use my modem at all.
    > help.

    What do you mean Ulric "it starts up with my computer" Do you mean it dials
    a connection on its own when Windows has loaded?

    --
    Best Wishes from Martin

    So many questions, so few answers.

    Martin <martin.s@dsl.pipexdotcom> wrote in

    > Ulric Van Bergen (UVB) wrote:
    >> it starts up with my computer, yet is not in my startup files.
    >> I can't find it in msconfig and I don't use my modem at all.
    >> help.
    >

    > What do you mean Ulric "it starts up with my computer" Do you mean it
    > dials a connection on its own when Windows has loaded?

    when I start up my computer, after the desktop loads, a window pops up that
    says modem on hold utility and then vanishes. about half the time it shows
    up in my system tray. when it does, I right click and exit. I have not been
    able to find out anything about this rogue prog.

    I found a few references to such utils by doing a quick Google. I would
    suggest you do a search of your computer for the program. If the window
    holds open is there a help/about tab where you could find its name, that
    would help with the search

    i would have thought that if it started on bot-up it would be in MSCONFIG.
    maybe it's there but not in so many words. Do a bit of googling for the
    MSCONFIG entrys and see what you can find.

    --

    "Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <ithinknot@youwish.com> wrote:
    | Martin <martin.s@dsl.pipexdotcom> wrote in
    |
    | > Ulric Van Bergen (UVB) wrote:
    | >> it starts up with my computer, yet is not in my startup files.
    | >> I can't find it in msconfig and I don't use my modem at all.
    | >> help.
    | >

    | > What do you mean Ulric "it starts up with my computer" Do you mean it
    | > dials a connection on its own when Windows has loaded?
    | >

    | when I start up my computer, after the desktop loads, a window pops up that
    | says modem on hold utility and then vanishes. about half the time it shows
    | up in my system tray. when it does, I right click and exit. I have not been
    | able to find out anything about this rogue prog.

    http://www.google.com/search?q='modem%20on%20hold'
  5. :hello: for future reference.. I have same problem but.. i found the file for it.. http://www.auditmypc.com/process/essspk.asp
    that will tell you what it is.. and if you go to your windows folder in your computer and look for esspk and open properties you can disable it... :bounce:

Configuration Modem Microsoft Customization Computers Windows XP