Your question

CPU Temps Question HELP

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 26, 2012 9:47:15 PM

Hey all....been scratching my head for a bit. Just finished putting together my first build and booted into BIOS and was playing around and found the temps on the processor was 50c. I thought that was high so pulled everything apart and redid my termal paste again and got it down to 45c. I put my side panels on and have been running in BIOS and now have a stable 56c. Im at stock for the Intel 2700k. Check out my specs and see if anyone feels this is an issue or if Im good to go an start to stress it and crank it.

Intel 2700k cpu (stock for now)
Intel P67 extreme MOB
Scythe Grand Kama Cross 140mm fan and heatsink
Artic Silver 5 (paste)
Patriot 16gb 1600 memory (extreme masters Limited Edition 4X4)
Intel 320 120gb ssd
(2) GTX 560 Ti 2gb sli
700 HIPRO PSU

Case is a Alienware Area 51 7500-4
(3) 120mm fans
(1) 80mm hd fan

Please all comment are very helpful.............

More about : cpu temps question

August 26, 2012 9:55:10 PM

lyalhray said:
Hey all....been scratching my head for a bit. Just finished putting together my first build and booted into BIOS and was playing around and found the temps on the processor was 50c. I thought that was high so pulled everything apart and redid my termal paste again and got it down to 45c. I put my side panels on and have been running in BIOS and now have a stable 56c. Im at stock for the Intel 2700k. Check out my specs and see if anyone feels this is an issue or if Im good to go an start to stress it and crank it.

Intel 2700k cpu (stock for now)
Intel P67 extreme MOB
Scythe Grand Kama Cross 140mm fan and heatsink
Artic Silver 5 (paste)
Patriot 16gb 1600 memory (extreme masters Limited Edition 4X4)
Intel 320 120gb ssd
(2) GTX 560 Ti 2gb sli
700 HIPRO PSU

Case is a Alienware Area 51 7500-4
(3) 120mm fans
(1) 80mm hd fan

Please all comment are very helpful.............

Please make sure you are not using too much thermal paste, you only need a blob of it roughly the size of your thumb nail. Also try and reposition the heatsink as flat on the CPU as possible.
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b å Intel
August 26, 2012 10:02:00 PM

From the reviews I can find on that cooler, it's just a mediocre performer (a 212 Evo beats it pretty easily), but it should still be better than what you're seeing (better than the stock cooler, which it isn't, currently).

Having said that, temps in the BIOS will always be higher than they are in Windows, since none of the power saving features are active in the BIOS.

Look at the temps in Windows to see what you have there.

If they're high there as well, it might be worth thinking about getting a better cooler (like a 212+ or Evo).
m
l
Related resources
August 27, 2012 1:32:08 AM

wonder44 said:
Please make sure you are not using too much thermal paste, you only need a blob of it roughly the size of your thumb nail. Also try and reposition the heatsink as flat on the CPU as possible.

Yea I thought I did that the first time....so I pulled everything apart cleaned up and re applied the paste again....and reinstalled as flat as possible....
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:42:57 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
From the reviews I can find on that cooler, it's just a mediocre performer (a 212 Evo beats it pretty easily), but it should still be better than what you're seeing (better than the stock cooler, which it isn't, currently).

Having said that, temps in the BIOS will always be higher than they are in Windows, since none of the power saving features are active in the BIOS.

Look at the temps in Windows to see what you have there.

If they're high there as well, it might be worth thinking about getting a better cooler (like a 212+ or Evo).

Thanks for the reply and the info on the cooler. The issue im having is the space Im limited to with the case. I only have 139 mm of hight due to a side panel fan that knocks of 38mm of space. I really dont want to loose that case fan so my hight on the heat sink is limited. I have not loaded my OS yet so im just in the begining of the troubleshooting. Any other suggestions on an air cooled fan/heatsink that is less than 139 mm.

Thanks for you input....much appreciated
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b å Intel
August 27, 2012 2:22:50 AM

lyalhray said:
Thanks for the reply and the info on the cooler. The issue im having is the space Im limited to with the case. I only have 139 mm of hight due to a side panel fan that knocks of 38mm of space. I really dont want to loose that case fan so my hight on the heat sink is limited. I have not loaded my OS yet so im just in the begining of the troubleshooting. Any other suggestions on an air cooled fan/heatsink that is less than 139 mm.

Thanks for you input....much appreciated

This isn't the cheapest thing, but it's a very good low profile cooler (105mm tall): COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

m
l