Sign in with
Your question

Should i go for I7-3770K or i7-3820

Last response: in CPUs
August 26, 2012 11:09:19 PM

hi all
i know this has been asked so much in previous threads , i read most of them but i still can't figure out which system to choose , most of the other threads talk about overclocking and gaming and i'm not into that
I'm not that overclock-er demanding extreme performance generating so much heat and noise ...i guess i will use the PC with default settings but i want it to be fast ...first I'm gonna specify what i use the PC for then u might help me choose on what's best and basically i want a pc that will last 4 years and more ...

I'm a civil engineer , i draw a lot of prints daily , i use autocad 2012 and i might be using 3D max soon , also in addition to autocad , I'm planning to rip and encode my entire DVD and bluray video collection to the best quality / size ration to store them on external hard drives and get rid of the discs because they are taking so much space (about 2000 discs combined)
so most of the time when I'm not drawing i will be working with movies ...i might play some games later if i had some time I'm not that anti gamer :D ...
so i was preparing to order my parts when i got stuck in choosing between these two platforms ...I'm an asus man , i have been using asus products for so long and my current pc has asus motherboard (P5N32E-SLI) aged about 5 years now and still working like a champ and i'm very satisfied with the amount of bucks i spent on it when it was released .....

so i went into the asus website , and based on expansion slots and the number of usb's , i narrowed my choices to two mother boards : the sabertooth X79 if i will be going for 2011 , or the maximus V extreme Z77 if I'm going for the 1155 , both are within my budget range and they don't vary that much choosing between them , so are the CPU's ....
other parts i chose are : ocz vertex 4 ssd , CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) memory , Ge-force GTX 560 , Thermaltake Level 10 GT case with 850 watts thermal take power supply , i guess i will not need overclocking so i guess default fan cooling is more than enough

so what's your opinion on this project build , which option between 2011 and 1155 is better , are there any parts better than what i chose at the same price , any opinion is welcome and thanks for this great community

More about : 3770k 3820

a c 109 à CPUs
August 26, 2012 11:16:39 PM

The LGA 2011 CPU will not come with an aftermarket cooler, so you will definitely want to take a look in that :) 

Also, I would recommend choosing a different brand PSU...some Thermaltake PSU's have shotty quality so I would rather not take the risk.

Also for your usage, it might seem like X79 platform may be the best for you due to greater memory bandwidth/expansion options. LGA 1155 is dead now, and 2011 will get more updates in the future (I'm sure) being Intel's enthusiast/workstation platform.
August 28, 2012 12:01:44 AM

mocchan said:
The LGA 2011 CPU will not come with an aftermarket cooler, so you will definitely want to take a look in that :) 

Also, I would recommend choosing a different brand PSU...some Thermaltake PSU's have shotty quality so I would rather not take the risk.

Also for your usage, it might seem like X79 platform may be the best for you due to greater memory bandwidth/expansion options. LGA 1155 is dead now, and 2011 will get more updates in the future (I'm sure) being Intel's enthusiast/workstation platform.

regarding speed and performance at default settings is there any significant difference
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 12:12:04 AM

The i7 3770k may perform slightly better due to its higher IPC, but that would be hardly noticeable in day to day applications IMO. I would prefer to get an X79 platform for your type of work.

They will most likely be continued to be updated for a very long while, just like Intel's X58 platform.
August 28, 2012 12:34:55 AM

Another +1 for the X79, you might want to think about doubling your RAM so you can take full advantage of the quad channel architecture and you will more than likely benefit from 16GB in the near future (if no now) with CAD and 3D Max.

The 3820 being the 2011 part, is really your only choice unless you want to drop some extra and get a six core part. You can always upgrade later if your needs dictate.
a c 109 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 12:41:51 AM

^ I agree.

I would personally prefer if OP were to invest in an i7 3930k for his type of work, but an i7 3820 will suffice until he can scrounge up the cash. Then again who knows, maybe there will be Ivy Bridge 2011 parts in the near future :) 
August 28, 2012 2:07:17 AM

Hi! well for me i would get the 3820 because it is one step away from the extreme line and lga 2011 was just release so its future will be great but i would get a gtx 670 if you draw prints because graphics are intense for those activities. a level ten gt and 850 w power supply would be an overkill so i would think of the carbide 500r and a corsair 600w power supply
!