Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 560 TI/ PSU Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2012 1:07:43 AM

Ok guys, complete noob here so bare with me.

Here is the video card I purchased a few weeks back.

video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130604

Here is the psu I purchased at the same time.

psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341044

As I was looking at the cable hook up in the video card manual, I noticed that for this card it has one of the middle slots in the six pin connector blacked out ( the one's that plug into the video card). The pci express cables that came with the psu have all six pins with none blacked out. The pci express cables also have two additional pins that would make it an 8 pin for a more powerful card I guess. So my question here is, will this be ok or do I need some sort of adapter? Hope I'm making sense, and thanks for the patience shown on these forums towards this noob. :) 

More about : evga 560 psu question

a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 1:43:12 AM

It seems that you've pasted Tom's-shortened links from some other thread, so neither link works and I can't really say.
What do you mean by "blacked out"? If the plugs fit into the card, it should be fine.
March 7, 2012 1:48:21 AM

kajabla said:
It seems that you've pasted Tom's-shortened links from some other thread, so neither link works and I can't really say.
What do you mean by "blacked out"? If the plugs fit into the card, it should be fine.

Ohh man, I'm sorry. I'll repost the links. Well in the video card manual it has a small diagram of what the six pin connector should look like. It has one of the pins blacked out, kind of like there should not be a pin there. The pci express cable that came with the psu has all 6 pins. Hard to really explain it w/o a picture I suppose. It does plug into the card fine though.
Related resources
March 7, 2012 1:50:16 AM

Well it seems I can't even copy and paste tonight :) 
March 7, 2012 1:51:43 AM

Link still not working...
March 7, 2012 1:53:09 AM

Just describe it...
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 1:53:50 AM

TOMNOOB said:
Ok guys, complete noob here so bare with me.

Here is the video card I purchased a few weeks back.

video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130604

Here is the psu I purchased at the same time.

psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341044

As I was looking at the cable hook up in the video card manual, I noticed that for this card it has one of the middle slots in the six pin connector blacked out ( the one's that plug into the video card). The pci express cables that came with the psu have all six pins with none blacked out. The pci express cables also have two additional pins that would make it an 8 pin for a more powerful card I guess. So my question here is, will this be ok or do I need some sort of adapter? Hope I'm making sense, and thanks for the patience shown on these forums towards this noob. :) 

Ya we can't get to look at what you bought the links are no good. Please try to fix them so we can help and post all of your spec's.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 2:08:55 AM

Don't worry about black out as long as the 6 pin connecters fit it will work just fine. They are not going to give you the wrong cable to hook up your card and your PSU is big enough to handle your card. Good luck to you.
March 7, 2012 2:11:57 AM

DM186 said:
Don't worry about black out as long as the 6 pin connecters fit it will work just fine. They are not going to give you the wrong cable to hook up your card and your PSU is big enough to handle your card. Good luck to you.

Hey DM186, thank you so much for the response. I need a lil encouragement. :wahoo: 
March 7, 2012 2:17:31 AM

i think what he meant was since the modular cables were white that it wouldnt work in the black port in the card, the dif. color is more for aesthetics.
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 2:21:52 AM

You've got a nice setup here for future SLI, adding another 560 Ti. What's your CPU?
March 7, 2012 2:22:19 AM

Hi traumaiv. They sent some cables with like one end of the cable like a white three pronged molex I believe it is, and the other end a six pin with one of the little metal parts missing out of it. I guess that's what I meant by blacked out in the manual. Maybe this setup was intended to go to the mb?
March 7, 2012 2:23:28 AM

I got the 15 2500 k intel cpu. Yeah now I want another vid card. :) 
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 2:32:12 AM

You have a nice build and the cables that you are connecting are power only the 4 pin molex plugs into one from your PSU. There arn't any special things you have to do. Just plug and go.
March 7, 2012 2:37:02 AM

Cool, I sure hope it all works out ok. I really wanted to build one, and really have no exp. I've managed to install the mb, cpu, psu, and memory. I have the hd, and optical drive mounted, but not wired. That's going to be my next dillema. Also an NZXT Phantom case with all the fans is a little scary on where to connect all the fans. :) 
March 7, 2012 2:38:58 AM

Oh yeah, I also have the card installed. Thank you all for the help. I'm sure I'll be posting some more questions in the not too distant future. Thanks again and best to all of you. :) 
March 7, 2012 2:57:38 AM

Thank you very much DM186. I'm going to take a look. :) 
March 7, 2012 3:03:56 AM

Great info. Thank you kajabla. I have the black Western Digital 1 gb hd. Do you guys think I should get another hd?
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 3:09:19 AM

I have two in mine and I will get a SSD drive soon also.
March 7, 2012 3:09:44 AM

oops i meant 1 tb :) 
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 3:12:44 AM

TOMNOOB said:
oops i meant 1 tb :) 

Ok I have two 1 TB hard drives next I get is the SSD then I can run raid
March 7, 2012 3:17:21 AM

nice :) 
March 7, 2012 3:23:31 AM

Man that guy makes it look easy!
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 3:30:59 AM

Yeah I know. I hope it helps you if anything it is a learning tool. Let us know when you up grade your case. I have 7 fans and my CPU is water cooled. It is easy to hook up fans.
March 7, 2012 3:45:25 AM

So with one hd and the optical now. Should I hook the hd to raid1, and the optical to raid 2?
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 2:10:58 AM

If you are talking about the cables to the MOBO is called a SATA1,2,3. Hook your HDD to the SATA3 0 and your optical to the SATA3 1. Then later you will Hook another HDD to the SATA3 1 and move your optical to the SATA2 0.

Raid is a whole other thread to explain but for now you won't be able to use raid. But yes you would use raid in the SATA setup so you are close on your statement.
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 2:27:12 AM

In short, RAID is a way to use multiple (almost always) identical drives at the same time for data redundancy or better transfer speeds. Don't worry about it. I don't recommend that you get another HDD. Get an SSD instead.
!