Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASRock Mobo CPU compatibility?

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2012 2:32:26 AM

Tonight I purchased an ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard from Newegg since they were including 8GB of RAM with some AMD boards. I'd really like to get a CPU ordered so I can get the rig up and running but I'm running into a possible CPU compatibility issue.

The CPU I'm most interested in getting is Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (HDZ965FBGMBOX). I decided to check ASRock's website to make sure the CPU was compatible and I was surprised to find it wasn't on the list with the other Phenom II X4 CPU's.

I think I might be being overly cautious about the model numbers since my second choice CPU isn't on the list either FX-6100 (FD6100WMGUSBX).

The list includes similar models such as HDZ965FBK4DGM(BE) / HDZ965FBK4DGI(BE) for the Phenom and FD6100WMW6KGU(BE) for the FX-6100.

Could someone confirm if I'm being overly paranoid or perhaps just doing it wrong?

In addition, does anyone have any opinions about whether one of these CPU's is clearly superior over the other for gaming? I've gotten some real mixed reviews from reading online.

(Please no cracks about my buying a super-budget rig since I make just a bit over minimum wage ATM)

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
August 27, 2012 2:35:14 AM

It'll work. The "BOX" at the end of the model number just indicates that it's a retail boxed CPU. There's no physical differences at all between what it says it supports and the "BOX" model. They're the exact same CPU.

Edit: And yes, the 965BE is the way to go for gaming.
August 27, 2012 2:37:31 AM

I figured as much, if it were just the BOX and the BX of the model number I wouldn't have hesitated since I assumed they had to do with the packaging, are you sure the later portions of the model number have no significant differences than those in the list? (ignoring the BOX and the BX I mean).
Score
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 27, 2012 2:40:27 AM

eblip said:
are you sure the later portions of the model number have no significant differences than those in the list? (ignoring the BOX and the BX I mean).

Yep, positive. :) 
Score
August 27, 2012 2:43:00 AM

Best answer selected by eblip.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2012 9:49:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!