Solved Closed

How to open Asus ET2410 series

Hi,
We are close to buying Asus ET2410 All in One. Before we spend our money I would like to ensure that in future this model can be upgraded at home with more memory or SSD. So far I have been unable to find any info on Internet. I know that upgrading hard drive can be as easy as HP All in One or as difficult as iMac. Does anyone know how to open Asus ET2410 series?
57 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about open asus et2410 series
  1. Nevermind - Reading further in the forum shows that not even the manual shows how to upgrade the system.

    -Wolf sends
  2. Thank you Wolfshdw- I have read January post by user sleepnomore.

    I have found excellent info on opening enclosures of Lenovo320 and HP600 series.
    I like features of Asus ET2410 series but if I can't upgrade hard drive or memory myself then I will walk away.
    I understand that Asus wants to maximize profits by following Apple path ie only manufacturer's service personnel can do such upgrades.
    But if that is the case than customers should be forewarned and be allowed to vote with their feet.
  3. We started buying them then found the same problem. They came with only 4Gb RAM and we were unable to upgrade them with out returning them to ASUS Service. So now we supply Lenovo's. HP's aren't bad but watch that the Windows 7 is not 32bit.
  4. Best answer
    Wolfshadw said:
    Nevermind - Reading further in the forum shows that not even the manual shows how to upgrade the system.

    -Wolf sends


    I have a ASUS et24100 all in one. I am still looking for the service manual. It does not exist unless someone at ASUS leaks one to the internet. I have pc experience and if I cant get answers, I investigate and attempt it myself.

    I have upgraded the HD to 1tb. Added memory to 8gb. I also added internal tv tuner. The memory is so-dimm notebook memory 2x4gb modules. The wireless is mini pci-e. The internal wireless antennas are generic wireless antennas. The tv tuner is pci-e also. The tv antenna was hand built using a wireless antenna cable and a rg-58u connector from radio shack. The bluetooth is a small usb bluetooth dongle. The multimedia ir for windows media center is usb receiver with media remote. I am still working on finding the internal ir module since there is a 4 pin connector on the motherboard. I can provide detailed information and pictures if requested. To dissasemble the et2410 you need to remove the screws under the plastic panel that connect the stand to the computer assembly. Then there is four rubber plugs on the back of the pc in the corners that need to be removed. (pry out with thumb tack) Next remove the screws under these plugs, plus one screw between the two lables on back. The split between the two labels will allow you to use small phillips to loosen the screw without messing up the labels. I think there is two screws where the stand use to be. Remove all the screws then use a plastic credit card (I prefer to get the gift card blanks from any store that has these cards instead of using a real credit card) Carefully slide the card around the edge of the pc case. The case will seperate as you slide the card around the sides.

    After the case is loose, lift it off and you will see the mini pci-e slots and memory slots. The pics will show where the cards go and the wiring for antennas. Let me know if you want to see the pics. NOTE: this WILL void your warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gilleyroo
  5. Thank you Gilleyroo,
    Much appreciate your help.


    Kind regards
    curious45
  6. Best answer selected by curious45.
  7. gilleyroo said:
    I have a ASUS et24100 all in one. I am still looking for the service manual. It does not exist unless someone at ASUS leaks one to the internet. I have pc experience and if I cant get answers, I investigate and attempt it myself.

    I have upgraded the HD to 1tb. Added memory to 8gb. I also added internal tv tuner. The memory is so-dimm notebook memory 2x4gb modules. The wireless is mini pci-e. The internal wireless antennas are generic wireless antennas. The tv tuner is pci-e also. The tv antenna was hand built using a wireless antenna cable and a rg-58u connector from radio shack. The bluetooth is a small usb bluetooth dongle. The multimedia ir for windows media center is usb receiver with media remote. I am still working on finding the internal ir module since there is a 4 pin connector on the motherboard. I can provide detailed information and pictures if requested. To dissasemble the et2410 you need to remove the screws under the plastic panel that connect the stand to the computer assembly. Then there is four rubber plugs on the back of the pc in the corners that need to be removed. (pry out with thumb tack) Next remove the screws under these plugs, plus one screw between the two lables on back. The split between the two labels will allow you to use small phillips to loosen the screw without messing up the labels. I think there is two screws where the stand use to be. Remove all the screws then use a plastic credit card (I prefer to get the gift card blanks from any store that has these cards instead of using a real credit card) Carefully slide the card around the edge of the pc case. The case will seperate as you slide the card around the sides.

    After the case is loose, lift it off and you will see the mini pci-e slots and memory slots. The pics will show where the cards go and the wiring for antennas. Let me know if you want to see the pics. NOTE: this WILL void your warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gilleyroo


    I also own and like the ET2410 but have been frustrated by ASUS service personnel regarding instructions on how to open and upgrade my unit. I would appreciate if you could post pictures and details on how you did it. Many thanks for being the first to crack this baby open.
  8. I'm out of town, but when I get back (3 days or so) I will post them.
  9. gilleyroo said:
    I'm out of town, but when I get back (3 days or so) I will post them.

    I would be interested in the pics as well. I am adding the WLAN card and would like to know how the antenna wires are located within the unit. Would be interested in your TV addition as well. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Jim
  10. Here are the pictures. Click on this link: http://postimage.org/my.php?gallery=7yl7b1g0

    The first image is of the motherboard with labels showing the memory location (2x4 so dim), the TV board and the Wi-Fi board. You can see the wire routing for these boards.

    The second image is of the TV card and Wi-Fi card placement.

    The third image is of the entire motherboard.
    One and Two are Wi-Fi antenna.
    Three is the Wi-Fi card.
    Four is the TV tuner card.

    And the memory is the system memory. To expand it use 2x4 so dim for 8 GB of memory.

    The fourth image is of the poorly hacked TV antenna wire. Use a wireless antenna lead, cut it and then solder the RG58U connector. Get the panel mount connector at radio shack. This wire will connect to the TV card and exit out the back cover. There is a plastic cover over where the antenna exits. Drill a hole that fits the RG58U and attach it to the back cover. If you open the computer later, remember to disconnect the connector on the TV card before removing back cover.

    The fifth image is of the motherboard connector where the IR receiver plugs in. It is NOT usb.

    Image six is the alternate IR adapter I used for my Media Center Remote.

    Image seven is of the bottom of the IR receiver with the model number on the tag I put in the picture.

    Image eight is where the IR receiver looks out. The screw holes are where you put the module. Good luck finding any information on this part.

    The Wi-Fi antenna (get two sets), TV pci-e card, Wi-Fi pci-e card and the Media Center receiver and remote are all on eBay.

    The RG58-U panel connector comes from Radio Shack.

    The scotch tape was temporary and replaced with electrical tape. Test each addition before adding another. The windows drivers can be found on the Asus support site, and readily available on the net. Not shown is the Blu-ray burner that replaced the DVD drive that came with the computer. This drive can be found on EBay. The driver can be found on the manufacture's website. I used a Sony drive.

    Any questions or comments or suggestions, please post a reply. NOTE: These Mods WILL VOID your Warranty. I take no responsibility whatsoever for using this information. Use at your own risk. ( i.e. I don’t want to pay to repair your unit)
  11. gilleyroo said:
    Here are the pictures. Click on this link: http://postimage.org/my.php?gallery=7yl7b1g0



    Greetings,

    The link does not allow viewing of the pictures. It redirects for me to create my own gallery and upload pictures. Registering on the site does not change behavior.

    Jim
  12. jmbach said:
    Greetings,

    The link does not allow viewing of the pictures. It redirects for me to create my own gallery and upload pictures. Registering on the site does not change behavior.

    Jim


    I'm working on it now.
  13. http://s19.postimage.org/c7kbomnab/Back_motherboard.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/wsz3gj4v7/Cards_in_slots.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/3rur74kf7/Complete_back_image_with_notes.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/p2sbbe2jn/Connector_for_tv.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/6bqe187z7/IR_connector_picture.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/rmny5hq3n/IR_dell_reciever.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/6r697zjab/IR_label_from_dell.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/3yd1nyixv/IR_window.jpg

    The first image is of the motherboard with labels showing the memory location (2x4 so dim), the TV board and the Wi-Fi board. You can see the wire routing for these boards.

    The second image is of the TV card and Wi-Fi card placement.

    The third image is of the entire motherboard.
    One and Two are Wi-Fi antenna.
    Three is the Wi-Fi card.
    Four is the TV tuner card.

    And the memory is the system memory. To expand it use 2x4 so dim for 8 GB of memory.

    The fourth image is of the poorly hacked TV antenna wire. Use a wireless antenna lead, cut it and then solder the RG58U connector. Get the panel mount connector at radio shack. This wire will connect to the TV card and exit out the back cover. There is a plastic cover over where the antenna exits. Drill a hole that fits the RG58U and attach it to the back cover. If you open the computer later, remember to disconnect the connector on the TV card before removing back cover.

    The fifth image is of the motherboard connector where the IR receiver plugs in. It is NOT usb.

    Image six is the alternate IR adapter I used for my Media Center Remote.

    Image seven is of the bottom of the IR receiver with the model number on the tag I put in the picture.

    Image eight is where the IR receiver looks out. The screw holes are where you put the module. Good luck finding any information on this part.

    The Wi-Fi antenna (get two sets), TV pci-e card, Wi-Fi pci-e card and the Media Center receiver and remote are all on eBay.

    The RG58-U panel connector comes from Radio Shack.

    The scotch tape was temporary and replaced with electrical tape. Test each addition before adding another. The windows drivers can be found on the Asus support site, and readily available on the net. Not shown is the Blu-ray burner that replaced the DVD drive that came with the computer. This drive can be found on EBay. The driver can be found on the manufacture's website. I used a Sony drive.

    Any questions or comments or suggestions, please post a reply. NOTE: These Mods WILL VOID your Warranty. I take no responsibility whatsoever for using this information. Use at your own risk. ( i.e. I don’t want to pay to repair your unit)
  14. PLEASE....If somebody read and used this post let me know. I want to know if I'm wasting my time posting this type of information.

    Thanks,

    Gilleyroo
  15. hi Gilleyroo
    Thanks for your post - good stuff. Do you know if the video memory is expandable in any way?
    (Im about to buy ET2410 and have a choice between 1GB video memory + weaker processor or 2GB video memory + stronger proc.)
    Cheers
  16. Your pictures and descriptions are very useful. I have the ET2410 and want to expand the memory, expand the hard drive and swap out the optical drive for a blu-ray burner. This is the only source of this information I've found after much searching. Can you give any detailed guidance on how to get the right optical drive on ebay to fit this unit cleanly? Do you need to swap out the bezel on the old drive onto the new drive? Thanks for being a pioneer.

    Sleepnomore
  17. The following pictures are of the BD-R/dvd/cd drive. The drives on Ebay are around $100us. Look for "laptop optical bd-r. The pictures are also of the two tabs and locating tab for the bezel. Use a small flat tip jeweler's screwdriver and carefully push the tabs from the left and right of the bezel where it meets the drive. If you get a drive with a bezel, removing it will clue you in on how to put the bezel from the ASUS on the new drive. The connector must look like the picture of the back of the drive I've uploaded also. It is a sata laptop connector.

    Any other questions, drop me a line.

    Gilleyroo


    http://postimage.org/image/tk0dvv5nj/
    http://postimage.org/image/tvhu8mm3j/
    http://postimage.org/image/dvz6p2q1r/
    http://postimage.org/image/6rhdg1isf/
    http://postimage.org/image/xnwramc7z/
    http://postimage.org/image/gktzf3vj3/
  18. gilleyroo said:
    The following pictures are of the BD-R/dvd/cd drive. The drives on Ebay are around $100us. Look for "laptop optical bd-r. The pictures are also of the two tabs and locating tab for the bezel. Use a small flat tip jeweler's screwdriver and carefully push the tabs from the left and right of the bezel where it meets the drive. If you get a drive with a bezel, removing it will clue you in on how to put the bezel from the ASUS on the new drive. The connector must look like the picture of the back of the drive I've uploaded also. It is a sata laptop connector.

    Any other questions, drop me a line.

    Gilleyroo


    http://postimage.org/image/tk0dvv5nj/
    http://postimage.org/image/tvhu8mm3j/
    http://postimage.org/image/dvz6p2q1r/
    http://postimage.org/image/6rhdg1isf/
    http://postimage.org/image/xnwramc7z/
    http://postimage.org/image/gktzf3vj3/



    I cannot access the latest photos you posted. Then again, it looks like the whole postimage.org site is down. Is there another way you could get your photos shared on this forum.

    Thanks
  19. I can see the photos now with no problem. Must have been the site was down.
  20. Were those pics any help?
  21. Sorry to miss your post. The answer. NO you cannot upgrade video memory or change video processors. The i3 version works well, but the i5 is faster. Is it worth the difference? Up to you.

    Again sorry for the late reply
  22. Gilleyroo, Is there any way to upgrade to an i5 processor in the asus 2410, i have the i3 processor but would like the extra speed. Also, do you see a difference in performance with 8gb of ram as opposed to 4gb or not that much difference?
  23. gilleyroo said:
    Sorry to miss your post. The answer. NO you cannot upgrade video memory or change video processors. The i3 version works well, but the i5 is faster. Is it worth the difference? Up to you.

    Again sorry for the late reply



    Gilleyroo, Is there any way to upgrade to an i5 processor in the asus 2410, i have the i3 processor but would like the extra speed. Also, do you see a difference in performance with 8gb of ram as opposed to 4gb or not that much difference?
  24. No you cannot change the processors. Looked into it myself. More is always better. Yes more memory is better. Up to you to decide to upgrade to more memory. Remember, you void your warranty if you open up the computer yourself.
  25. gilleyroo said:
    No you cannot change the processors. Looked into it myself. More is always better. Yes more memory is better. Up to you to decide to upgrade to more memory. Remember, you void your warranty if you open up the computer yourself.



    Thank you for your prompt response. I'll probably try to upgrade the ram.
  26. gilleyroo said:
    No you cannot change the processors. Looked into it myself. More is always better. Yes more memory is better. Up to you to decide to upgrade to more memory. Remember, you void your warranty if you open up the computer yourself.



    Can i put 16gb of ram in this system? Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-25
  27. I dont know. I didnt have 8gb modules to test with. Look up the specs on the i3 at intel and see how much memory the processor will support. Sorry, wish I knew. Let us all know if you try this. Thanks
  28. gilleyroo said:
    I dont know. I didnt have 8gb modules to test with. Look up the specs on the i3 at intel and see how much memory the processor will support. Sorry, wish I knew. Let us all know if you try this. Thanks



    ok i will check then test and give feedback.
  29. gilleyroo said:
    No you cannot change the processors. Looked into it myself. More is always better. Yes more memory is better. Up to you to decide to upgrade to more memory. Remember, you void your warranty if you open up the computer yourself.

    why you cant change the processor, is it soldered into place?
  30. kenjam1 said:
    why you cant change the processor, is it soldered into place?



    Yes you can remove the processor. BUT the motherboard is made for the i3 processor. If you plug in a i5 you may SMOKE your motherboard. Since you opened the case to do this, you voided the warranty. Then if the motherboard fails you will have to PAY to get it repaired by ASUS. They won't sell you the parts or service manual. If you attempt this, let us all know what happened. So we know for sure that you cannot do this. I looked up the i5 and the i3. It indicates the chipsets are different. So good luck.
  31. Thanks for the warning, I will buy the i5 model, I cant seem to find out do these have blue tooth?
  32. No, you will have to plug in a Bluetooth dongle in a USB port. That is what I use.
  33. Hello

    For your information, I bought a new ET2210 with a pentium 630 and a Nvidia graphic card this week...
    I opened it, changed the hard drive to a SSD (no problem at this moment...) and then remplace the G630 with a I3 2120... same socket and same chip... 1 day later the PC stopped booting... nothing to do except bring it back to the store with a large smile
    So I confirm : be carefull

    AM
  34. copernic75 said:
    Hello

    For your information, I bought a new ET2210 with a pentium 630 and a Nvidia graphic card this week...
    I opened it, changed the hard drive to a SSD (no problem at this moment...) and then remplace the G630 with a I3 2120... same socket and same chip... 1 day later the PC stopped booting... nothing to do except bring it back to the store with a large smile
    So I confirm : be carefull

    AM


    Sorry to hear about you expieriment. Did you check the specs on the Intel pentium 630 and the Intel i3? One thing you can try is putting the old cpu back in and do a hard reset. It (fingers crossed) may work. Hope you can exchange it at the store, instead of sending it back to ASUS.
  35. By chance the store accepted to give me the money back....
    How do you do a hard reset in this machine?
  36. Thanks Gilleyroo, your post has been most helpful! I just got myself one of these and I gotta say there was no chance I'd ever be able to open it without your instructions. I'd like to also point out what a PITA it was to remove the shield from the motherboard, almost as much as the actual case.

    Now,do you by chance know how/if I could stick an SSD in there? My hard drive is already 750 gigs. no point in swapping it, but I really would love to keep it as the storage drive IN ADDITION to the fast system drive. I was hoping I could just plug it in place of the optical drive, but the connector seems different....

    Also, does it matter if I get a half- or full size mini PCI-e wi-fi card?

    Thanks so much!

    UPDATE: a little research produced 13 pin slimline sata male to 22 pin sata female adapter, which should be just what I need to stick my SSD in place of the optical drive.

    gilleyroo said:
    I have a ASUS et24100 all in one. I am still looking for the service manual. It does not exist unless someone at ASUS leaks one to the internet. I have pc experience and if I cant get answers, I investigate and attempt it myself.

    I have upgraded the HD to 1tb. Added memory to 8gb. I also added internal tv tuner. The memory is so-dimm notebook memory 2x4gb modules. The wireless is mini pci-e. The internal wireless antennas are generic wireless antennas. The tv tuner is pci-e also. The tv antenna was hand built using a wireless antenna cable and a rg-58u connector from radio shack. The bluetooth is a small usb bluetooth dongle. The multimedia ir for windows media center is usb receiver with media remote. I am still working on finding the internal ir module since there is a 4 pin connector on the motherboard. I can provide detailed information and pictures if requested. To dissasemble the et2410 you need to remove the screws under the plastic panel that connect the stand to the computer assembly. Then there is four rubber plugs on the back of the pc in the corners that need to be removed. (pry out with thumb tack) Next remove the screws under these plugs, plus one screw between the two lables on back. The split between the two labels will allow you to use small phillips to loosen the screw without messing up the labels. I think there is two screws where the stand use to be. Remove all the screws then use a plastic credit card (I prefer to get the gift card blanks from any store that has these cards instead of using a real credit card) Carefully slide the card around the edge of the pc case. The case will seperate as you slide the card around the sides.

    After the case is loose, lift it off and you will see the mini pci-e slots and memory slots. The pics will show where the cards go and the wiring for antennas. Let me know if you want to see the pics. NOTE: this WILL void your warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gilleyroo
  37. >> Also, does it matter if I get a half- or full size mini PCI-e wi-fi card?


    The slot (hold-down screw) is set up for a half size mini PCI-e wi-fi card.
  38. Actually there are both full and half-size slots, so it was more a compatibility question.

    Speaking of which, it's been a couple years since my last build, so reading on the subject made me change my mind and try an mSata in the hopes of retaining both the hdd and the optical drive while adding the fast system drive in the form of mSata.

    Still looking for clues, but if anyone thought of the same, I have to disappoint you - the system doesn't see it :(

    If anyone knows how it might be possible (Gilleyroo, are you there?Were you able to obtain the service manual?), please post here, I still think this is a great system, and could be made perfect if it only accepted mSata. A custom BIOS maybe?
  39. Is the hard disk is 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch ???
    Can I replace it with ssd???
    I guess the connections are the same
    Thanks Barak
  40. barak87 said:
    Is the hard disk is 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch ???
    Can I replace it with ssd???
    I guess the connections are the same
    Thanks Barak



    It's a 2.5 in a 3.5 slot via a conversion bracket, so you can use either one.
    Yes, you can replace it with ssd, remember though that then your whole system will be limited by the size of that ssd. I am personally still thinking of using an ssd in place of the optical drive, as I hardly ever use it, and I already replaced the hdd with a 1tb 7200rpm one. Read my posts above on how to do it. Unfortunately, my attempt to use mSata failed, so no go on there.

    The good news is that it's confirmed you can use 16gb of ram in this machine despite the official spec.
  41. LA_Mike said:
    It's a 2.5 in a 3.5 slot via a conversion bracket, so you can use either one.
    Yes, you can replace it with ssd, remember though that then your whole system will be limited by the size of that ssd. I am personally still thinking of using an ssd in place of the optical drive, as I hardly ever use it, and I already replaced the hdd with a 1tb 7200rpm one. Read my posts above on how to do it. Unfortunately, my attempt to use mSata failed, so no go on there.

    The good news is that it's confirmed you can use 16gb of ram in this machine despite the official spec.


    what do you mean by "mSata" ???
  42. Does anyone know if you can boot from an external hard drive with these models? Either from a USB or the eSATA? I assume you can, but sometimes vendors use a BIOS with limited features on some models.
  43. It can do both. I've been running dual-boot with one of those eSata enclosures since day one.

    flyingsherpa said:
    Does anyone know if you can boot from an external hard drive with these models? Either from a USB or the eSATA? I assume you can, but sometimes vendors use a BIOS with limited features on some models.
  44. :) EXCELLENT WRITE-UP. NOW I CAN UPGRADE MEMORY TO 8GB. THANKS.


    gilleyroo said:
    http://s19.postimage.org/c7kbomnab/Back_motherboard.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/wsz3gj4v7/Cards_in_slots.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/3rur74kf7/Complete_back_image_with_notes.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/p2sbbe2jn/Connector_for_tv.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/6bqe187z7/IR_connector_picture.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/rmny5hq3n/IR_dell_reciever.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/6r697zjab/IR_label_from_dell.jpg

    http://s19.postimage.org/3yd1nyixv/IR_window.jpg

    The first image is of the motherboard with labels showing the memory location (2x4 so dim), the TV board and the Wi-Fi board. You can see the wire routing for these boards.

    The second image is of the TV card and Wi-Fi card placement.

    The third image is of the entire motherboard.
    One and Two are Wi-Fi antenna.
    Three is the Wi-Fi card.
    Four is the TV tuner card.

    And the memory is the system memory. To expand it use 2x4 so dim for 8 GB of memory.

    The fourth image is of the poorly hacked TV antenna wire. Use a wireless antenna lead, cut it and then solder the RG58U connector. Get the panel mount connector at radio shack. This wire will connect to the TV card and exit out the back cover. There is a plastic cover over where the antenna exits. Drill a hole that fits the RG58U and attach it to the back cover. If you open the computer later, remember to disconnect the connector on the TV card before removing back cover.

    The fifth image is of the motherboard connector where the IR receiver plugs in. It is NOT usb.

    Image six is the alternate IR adapter I used for my Media Center Remote.

    Image seven is of the bottom of the IR receiver with the model number on the tag I put in the picture.

    Image eight is where the IR receiver looks out. The screw holes are where you put the module. Good luck finding any information on this part.

    The Wi-Fi antenna (get two sets), TV pci-e card, Wi-Fi pci-e card and the Media Center receiver and remote are all on eBay.

    The RG58-U panel connector comes from Radio Shack.

    The scotch tape was temporary and replaced with electrical tape. Test each addition before adding another. The windows drivers can be found on the Asus support site, and readily available on the net. Not shown is the Blu-ray burner that replaced the DVD drive that came with the computer. This drive can be found on EBay. The driver can be found on the manufacture's website. I used a Sony drive.

    Any questions or comments or suggestions, please post a reply. NOTE: These Mods WILL VOID your Warranty. I take no responsibility whatsoever for using this information. Use at your own risk. ( i.e. I don’t want to pay to repair your unit)
  45. LA_Mike said:
    It's a 2.5 in a 3.5 slot via a conversion bracket, so you can use either one.
    Yes, you can replace it with ssd, remember though that then your whole system will be limited by the size of that ssd. I am personally still thinking of using an ssd in place of the optical drive, as I hardly ever use it, and I already replaced the hdd with a 1tb 7200rpm one. Read my posts above on how to do it. Unfortunately, my attempt to use mSata failed, so no go on there.

    The good news is that it's confirmed you can use 16gb of ram in this machine despite the official spec.


    Thank you very much to let us know the upgradability of 16GB memory. Now I can try it with confidence.
  46. Thanks all of you guys for posting - much appreciated - I have a ET2300 and will tinker it soon ;-)
  47. gilleyroo said:
    Wolfshadw said:
    Nevermind - Reading further in the forum shows that not even the manual shows how to upgrade the system.

    -Wolf sends


    I have a ASUS et24100 all in one. I am still looking for the service manual. It does not exist unless someone at ASUS leaks one to the internet. I have pc experience and if I cant get answers, I investigate and attempt it myself.

    I have upgraded the HD to 1tb. Added memory to 8gb. I also added internal tv tuner. The memory is so-dimm notebook memory 2x4gb modules. The wireless is mini pci-e. The internal wireless antennas are generic wireless antennas. The tv tuner is pci-e also. The tv antenna was hand built using a wireless antenna cable and a rg-58u connector from radio shack. The bluetooth is a small usb bluetooth dongle. The multimedia ir for windows media center is usb receiver with media remote. I am still working on finding the internal ir module since there is a 4 pin connector on the motherboard. I can provide detailed information and pictures if requested. To dissasemble the et2410 you need to remove the screws under the plastic panel that connect the stand to the computer assembly. Then there is four rubber plugs on the back of the pc in the corners that need to be removed. (pry out with thumb tack) Next remove the screws under these plugs, plus one screw between the two lables on back. The split between the two labels will allow you to use small phillips to loosen the screw without messing up the labels. I think there is two screws where the stand use to be. Remove all the screws then use a plastic credit card (I prefer to get the gift card blanks from any store that has these cards instead of using a real credit card) Carefully slide the card around the edge of the pc case. The case will seperate as you slide the card around the sides.

    After the case is loose, lift it off and you will see the mini pci-e slots and memory slots. The pics will show where the cards go and the wiring for antennas. Let me know if you want to see the pics. NOTE: this WILL void your warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gilleyroo


    gilleyroo said:
    Here are the pictures. Click on this link: http://postimage.org/my.php?gallery=7yl7b1g0

    The first image is of the motherboard with labels showing the memory location (2x4 so dim), the TV board and the Wi-Fi board. You can see the wire routing for these boards.

    The second image is of the TV card and Wi-Fi card placement.

    The third image is of the entire motherboard.
    One and Two are Wi-Fi antenna.
    Three is the Wi-Fi card.
    Four is the TV tuner card.

    And the memory is the system memory. To expand it use 2x4 so dim for 8 GB of memory.

    The fourth image is of the poorly hacked TV antenna wire. Use a wireless antenna lead, cut it and then solder the RG58U connector. Get the panel mount connector at radio shack. This wire will connect to the TV card and exit out the back cover. There is a plastic cover over where the antenna exits. Drill a hole that fits the RG58U and attach it to the back cover. If you open the computer later, remember to disconnect the connector on the TV card before removing back cover.

    The fifth image is of the motherboard connector where the IR receiver plugs in. It is NOT usb.

    Image six is the alternate IR adapter I used for my Media Center Remote.

    Image seven is of the bottom of the IR receiver with the model number on the tag I put in the picture.

    Image eight is where the IR receiver looks out. The screw holes are where you put the module. Good luck finding any information on this part.

    The Wi-Fi antenna (get two sets), TV pci-e card, Wi-Fi pci-e card and the Media Center receiver and remote are all on eBay.

    The RG58-U panel connector comes from Radio Shack.

    The scotch tape was temporary and replaced with electrical tape. Test each addition before adding another. The windows drivers can be found on the Asus support site, and readily available on the net. Not shown is the Blu-ray burner that replaced the DVD drive that came with the computer. This drive can be found on EBay. The driver can be found on the manufacture's website. I used a Sony drive.

    Any questions or comments or suggestions, please post a reply. NOTE: These Mods WILL VOID your Warranty. I take no responsibility whatsoever for using this information. Use at your own risk. ( i.e. I don’t want to pay to repair your unit)



    I am installing a new hard drive and also tv tuner and Wireless cards, , do you have specific models for each that are compatible? Had a bad hard drive and no tv, or wireless . Got it for free and way out of warranty, so my first try at this thing. I have the case open and ready to go!.. Thanks, Wrenchit
  48. Merci pour ce tuto qui m'a permis de remettre en état un 2210.
    Matériel d'exposition que j'ai acheté 230€ parceque le HDD n'était pas reconnu au démarrage du bios donc le vendeur a déclaré le HDD comme HS.
    Après recherche et grace aux photos du démontage d'un produit similaire, j'ai accédé au HDD, connecté celui ci sur un autre PC et vérifié qu'il fonctionnait.
    J'ai recherché ailleurs la cause de la panne et placé un HDD 2,5" et celui-ci à bien été reconnu mais avec de nombreux plantages !!
    Après prise de mesures sur le connecteur Sata du HDD, le 12V nécessaire n'était que de 10V.
    J'ai vérifié l'alimentation, recherché sur le net les caractéristiques pour m'apercevoir que l'alimentation fournie 12V-40W ne convenait pas mais qu'il fallait une 19V-135W.
    j'ai remplacé l'alimentation (25€) et maintenant tout fonctionne normalement.
  49. Hey guys - great info. Can you confirm that it's possible to remove and replace the DVD drive without cracking open the back? There's a small screw just inside the drive enclosure - is that the one that holds it?
    Cheers, John G :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Asus How To Systems