Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE overclocked to 3.93GHz

MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 880/1250

GA-MA770t-UD3P

OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Semi-Modular

LG Flatron IPS235 23" 1920x1080

GSkill underclocked 1333MHz

I play Battlefield 3 on ultra setting (recently I turned it down to all high except one Ultra, there's a lag spike going on in Battlefield 3)

I am not sure if I am bottlenecked or not. MSI AB shows from 80% to 99% not sure about CPU percentage underload since I'm using AMD overdrive to keep watch on the CPU monitor. CPU stays under 40C underload.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this! :bounce:

Solution
Btw you should be aware that there is no such thing as a system without a bottleneck. The bottleneck is just the component that sets the limit on your system's performance.

Generally, as long as you have a decent CPU (and you do) the bottleneck is usually the GPU in all situations that actually matter.

The "all situations that actually matter" is the important bit. When there's not much on the screen, your frame rates will soar and the CPU will become the bottleneck. Because your frame rates are already sky high, this is not a situation that matters. Here, your GPU usage will fall.

When your screen has a complex scene to render, the load increases on your GPU and your frame rate will plummet. It's the plummeting that gamers find...

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Then why the heck is this strictly intel fan, telling me that my "no good" CPU aren't suitable for Gaming :(

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Btw you should be aware that there is no such thing as a system without a bottleneck. The bottleneck is just the component that sets the limit on your system's performance.

Generally, as long as you have a decent CPU (and you do) the bottleneck is usually the GPU in all situations that actually matter.

The "all situations that actually matter" is the important bit. When there's not much on the screen, your frame rates will soar and the CPU will become the bottleneck. Because your frame rates are already sky high, this is not a situation that matters. Here, your GPU usage will fall.

When your screen has a complex scene to render, the load increases on your GPU and your frame rate will plummet. It's the plummeting that gamers find annoying. In this case, the GPU is your bottleneck. This is a situation that matters. Here, you will see your GPU usage touch 100% or thereabouts.

For this reason, in most cases, to make a visible difference it makes more sense to get a faster GPU than to get a faster CPU. Your CPU is absolutely fine and I'd wager that you would see little if any tangible difference by getting a faster one.

Your 7950 however, great card though it is, will be the component in your system that sets the limit on your performance in all situations that matter: the "bottleneck" - if you will.

There are some exceptions to this. CPU performance can become a factor in games with many players. Also, some games have a badly optimised engine that just don't use your full CPU power (Skyrim, are you listening?).

Solution

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Are you saying there's a slight bottleneck on my system? :( and yes I am listening. Keep going :>

It seems all you saw was the word "bottleneck" and missed the point of his post :)

There's nothing wrong with your system. It's solid. You're good.

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

You can say that hehe, pretty solid information you got there by the way. Thank you so much, before selecting answer, mind helping me out build an Intel Base gaming system? Motherboard that accepts overclocking, good gaming CPU, brand-specific a must. Dont worry about the budget, if possible, given a best choice and thank you :O

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Sorry only just seen this. My point was that you don't need a CPU upgrade. For the same amount of money you will get a much bigger boost to your performance with a second 7950. But why? Your system is fine.