PaddyD

Honorable
May 10, 2012
two questions:

im starting the project of building my pc, id just like to know what psu and ram i could conceivably put in my system if im going to use the following components:

-Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
-Intel I7 3370K
-Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual Graphics Card
-Windowns 7 Pro
-Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA III 6 Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Disk Drive

Any advice on any part of this would be great thanks

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Personally I think you would be better off with an i5-2500k paired with a 7870.

You'll see a whole lot more performance in gaming than you would with i7-3770k and a 560.......if gaming is going to be this systems primary use that is..?

PaddyD

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Primarily high end gaming... but also for long haul uni work including chemical visualising software...

i agree. the only good thing about the 3770k over 3570k or 2500k is that it does better in muti-threaded tasks. yu will also not see much of a performance boost from z77 to x79 other than threaded tasks.

If you'll be sticking to a single GPU, a good 500W-600W PSU would be sufficient for your build. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
If you think you might run two GPUs in SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (AMD), you will probably want 650W-750W; I would suggest you go to the PSU sizing calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and play around with the specifics of your build.
If it's the only drive in your system, make sure that 2TB Seagate is not a "LP" (equivalent to WD "Green") model with a reduced RPM, else it will be slow.

PaddyD

Honorable
May 10, 2012
ahhhh thanks there...

but going back do you happen to know the ram compatibility with that motherboard?