Computer Rebuild Issue

Nate80

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Hi all, first time here and got a cracker of an issue I was hoping to get help with.

So I have this system I am trying to rebuild, originally I had issues with continually hitting Winload errors etc and never getting past the 1st loading bar for the windows installer and never getting to the select language menu.

Eventually after 3 diff copies of Win7 on disc and also a few diff copies of Win 7 on USB, I managed to get a separate copy of XP loaded after 2 attempts.

At this point I keep getting errors with all apps crashing reporting memory violations etc and the odd blue screen.

Memtest86 boot CD is reporting tons of errors so deciding I had somehow fried all 4 sticks of Ram (and I have tried all possible combinations of 1/2/4 sticks in diff slots etc), I went and got new Ram and also a new PSU just to be safe.

Wrong! (I can hear Charlie Murphy in my head each time)

The new ram had no effect and neither did the PSU.

Time for a new Motherboard, and now I am getting the same Winload errors with Win 7 but when trying XP install I get a error every time stating a diff file its corrupt during install (this is before I get to language selection screen or anything). Memtest86 is also reporting a ton of errors still on new board with new ram and on top of this the system is freezing.

So I have tried a new PSU, Ram, Motherboard and also swapped out a HDD and DVD drive to check but still get Memtest86 errors and cant install any OS.

System Specs Are :

CPU : E6850
Mother Board : GA-P35-DS4 (Old) / GA-G41-Combo (New)
Ram : Kingston KHX6400D2K2 * 4 / Patriot PSD22G80026 * 2
Graphics - XFX Raedeon 4890 (Also tried the built in GPU on new MB which didnt help)
PSU : Antec True Power Trio 550w (Old) / Thermaltake TT-500NL1NH-1 500w (New)
OS : Win 7 32bit / Win 7 64bit / XP 32bit (Every OS load perfectly on my main rig)
HDD : OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 128GB / Samsung 500GB / Samsung 400GB (No diff between drives, tried em all)

After all this run around and attempting every possible combination, am I going mad or could the CPU be faulty and causing issues reading the ram or something?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
memtest86 does check the cpu L1 and L2 caches by default and the DIMMS and the mobo. I think you've surely checked the compatibilities of the components and that leaves room for the following possibilities
1. Corrupted HDD (mbr's, (Virus issue??)
2. CPU issue

to rule out the second, try downloading IPDT (Intel processor diagnostics tool) 32 or 64 bit depending on the OS and run the test. It will test the cpu and would also perform load test on it and is pretty reliable. See if its reporting any errors...it will auto generate a log file.

good Luck
-satyam

Nate80

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Sounds good, will give it a shot.

I dropped the CPU down to 2GHz (6x333) which has made the system stable with no crashes, hoping this XP install finishes this time then will run the Diag Tool.

Nate80

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
So I have had the system running perfectly, CPU tests all came back clean.

Decided it was looking good so upped the clock ratio back to 9x333 to get the 3GHz the CPU should run @ and then ran another CPU test, came back good however 5 mins later I started getting mem errors.

1/2 fried CPU? runs perfect @ 2GHz but I get issues @ 3GHz.