I have one 2GB XFX 6950 currently, and I wanted to wait until late in the summer to upgrade to a crossfire setup, but the currently market situation is not looking good for the 6950 to be avail.
So should I-
Buy a 2nd 6950 now at about 289.99 or more (I only paid 255 when I got the 1st one), or should I sell the 6950 for whatever I can get, buy a 7870 and then continue on my plan to get a 2nd card (now a 7870) later this year.
I have money, but I am not one to just blow it. So money is not an issue, but it is by choice I guess you would say.
Its seems like a waste of money to dump my used 6950 when right now it does what I want it to do, but I am moving to a multiscreen solution in the future and crossfire will be a must.
I think 2x 6950s would be plenty good but I dont want to burn too much cash on it, and I dont know if I will be able to find it much longer.
I also really like what I am seeing in the 7870.... it is looking kinda sexy.
Oh ya rig info
2500k @ 4.6
60gb OCZ SSD
2 TB WD HDD
ASUS P8P67 PRO
2GB XFX 6950 @ 880MHZ and 1350 MEM Clock
16gb Corair Vengence 1600 9-9-9-24
If you're going multi-screen in the future I would strongly recommend selling your 6950 and going for a 7950 or 7970. The 3GB Memory buffer will benefit you much more than having 2 cards (remember your memory doesn't technically increase when you add an extra card, information stored in the first card is simply duplicated to the second so they can both work on rendering), and it completely negates any issues associated with Xfire.
If this doesn't sound like an option, go ahead an Xfire your 6950s, you can't go wrong with em. Just heed my warning regarding the memory buffer, games are eating more and more memory and at Triple Monitor resolutions you'll be lucky if you don't get gimped.
It is up to you but even if the 6950 is off the market bu this sumer, which I doubt, you can still pick one up at ebay or on Craig's list. Because the GTX 500 series was out last year I picked up a used GTX 470 for $150, and later, another new GTX 470 for $160. In SLI the GTX 470 outperforms the GTX 580 which retailed at over $500 at the time.
I recommend that you wait and make a decision when you are ready to buy.
I have the same card but the Sapphire version. I was gonna do an xfire config but decided to wait untl later for the price to drop on them.
Then I saw the new cards, which are looking pretty good. I am gonna wait until I see more bench marks on these cards.
I am gonna base my decision on the marks but If I were you I would wait.
If a duel config of the 6950 can beat the new cards. You'll later save money and still have powerhouse graphics.
Ya I am ok for now.... Maybe the 600 series will trigger a price drop too
My PSU can handle a 6950 crossfire, but going with a 7870 crossfire would mean Shelling out 700 for 2 new cards, and maybe getting 150 for my old one. So it would put me out 550 at least, doing a 6950 would cost me 250 to 300....