AlucFahhT

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I was going to buy Win7 64-bit Home Prem, and it says OEM. So if I wanted to switch to the i7-3770k in the future, Iwill have to buy another win7 copy? Also, like no support? So if something groes wrong I don't get support by them? I want to be able to do such things. Can I do a clean install with it so no bloatware? finally I am sure it works just like any other OS (no trial, or limitations besides those?).

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The main difference for the home user is that the oem licence ties itself to one system. You can upgrade the system pretty much as you like cpu wise etc. The general rule of thumb is that you can't change the motherboard/chipset as that would be to all intents and purpose a new system. If the motherboard dies you should try and appropriate the same or as near as you can get 'to repair said system' as if you have to contact Microsoft to reactivate it is up to you to explain.

I've used oem in the past and have had no problems, it is quite suitable for systems you are building where you know you are going to be sticking with it for a few years and maybe passing it down the line.

As for support, well I for one don't know anyone who has ever rang Microsoft for support and unless you happen to be worth a few billion in licencing to them; I'm not sure how much further you'd get than search the website, google or have you tried switching it off and on again!

then get the retail version and you'll be able to install it after replacing the motherboard.

AlucFahhT

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I have limited amount of money I can do this, getting the CPU alone would have a slight impact on what i can afford for that month, I also will get a CPU cooler for it, so I wont be getting it all at one time. So I am sacrificing for the computer until I get it complete lol.

mace200200

Honorable
This has always confused me as well. All i have to say is that my friend gave me a 32 bit OEM Win7 Pro disc that he was using before he bought and installed a 64bit Win7. I installed it, entered the code, it took it and no problems for the 6 months or so I've been using it.

Hi :)

Microsoft WOULD call it illegal, as you will find out if you try to activate on another motherboard...

All the best Brett :)

popatim

Titan
I think someone else mentioned that theres seems to be two types of OEM one for the big boys (HP, Dell, Asus...) and one for smaller system builders. The big boys tie theirs to the bios whereas the other one seems to just trust you.

As I said earlier, builders OEM version wont have a problem activating. I personally have moved a builders OEM win7 from my intel laptop, to an AMD HTPC without issue and then went from 32bit to 64 bit, again activating without issues or phone calls. Toshiba oem Vista was put back on the laptop in case your wondering. Heck, I even ran 1 license on three different systems at one point while waiting for my newly bought oem versions to come in and all three activated just fine.

I am also not saying this isn't or is a violation of the terms; just that it works without issues (for now)