New PB server version, news on 81001-81014 bans

From EvenBalance:

Version 1.124 of the PB Server for BF1942 has been released to our PB Master
Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This version
converts some prior PB Violation kicks into Restriction kicks. We have
confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused by
files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
benefit of the doubt for these violations.

Lorian.
8 answers Last reply
More about server version news 81001 81014 bans

    "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:

    >We have
    >confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
    >the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused by
    >files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
    >adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
    >benefit of the doubt for these violations.

    My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
    two months (!) to get that out...

    JK'05

    "Jan Kannemacher" <varros@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:
    >
    >>We have
    >>confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
    >>the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused
    >>by
    >>files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
    >>adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
    >>benefit of the doubt for these violations.
    >
    > My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
    > two months (!) to get that out...

    Not quite as clear cut as the last lot. Not definitely false positives, but
    "could be".

    But, as you say, a long time to come out with the statement.

    L.

    "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:

    >Not quite as clear cut as the last lot. Not definitely false positives, but
    >"could be".

    If they go so far as to admit the mere possibility, it's quite clear to
    me. They did the same with #80031.

    >But, as you say, a long time to come out with the statement.

    Very much so, yes.

    JK'05
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Jan Kannemacher" <varros@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:
    >
    >>We have
    >>confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
    >>the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused
    >>by
    >>files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
    >>adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
    >>benefit of the doubt for these violations.
    >
    > My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
    > two months (!) to get that out...

    It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
    that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs. Taking into
    consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
    detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs on
    to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
    months seems pretty reasonable to me.

    Dan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

    >It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
    >that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs.

    You can take for granted that the PB kicks started within LATEST a few
    hours after the upgrade. Give the players a few more hours before
    they're pissed off. So Evenbalance has received the first complaints
    approx. 48 hours after their update.

    >Taking into
    >consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
    >detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs on
    >to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
    >months seems pretty reasonable to me.

    You must be out of your mind. Causing such a problem by screwing up and
    then taking two whole months to solve it? Think it over, please. This is
    entirely inacceptable. Consider the consequences - server admins dealing
    out bans because PB yet again falsely blames someone for cheating. Do
    you really think all these server admins check the Evenbalance news or
    forums or even know they exist? Not in a lifetime. "PB says they cheat,
    so they cheat. Ban."

    JK'05
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
    >>that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs.
    >
    > You can take for granted that the PB kicks started within LATEST a few
    > hours after the upgrade. Give the players a few more hours before
    > they're pissed off. So Evenbalance has received the first complaints
    > approx. 48 hours after their update.

    Have you ever tried to repro a situation like this? I spend about half my
    time every week trying to repro issues customers have with various items we
    sell, and in 99% of situations the problem is caused by "user error" or
    something that isn't easy to repro. The only sure way is to get the
    customer's PC in front of you and diagnose what's happening. It might take
    weeks to try and discover what is causing the problems when trying to deal
    with people, especially when most of them probably just complain instead of
    sending useful information, or don't even bother to respond.

    >>Taking into
    >>consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
    >>detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs
    >>on
    >>to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
    >>months seems pretty reasonable to me.
    >
    > You must be out of your mind. Causing such a problem by screwing up and
    > then taking two whole months to solve it? Think it over, please. This is
    > entirely inacceptable. Consider the consequences - server admins dealing
    > out bans because PB yet again falsely blames someone for cheating. Do
    > you really think all these server admins check the Evenbalance news or
    > forums or even know they exist? Not in a lifetime. "PB says they cheat,
    > so they cheat. Ban."

    I agree that this shouldn't have happened in the first place. But consider
    how much time it would take to set up machines with every conceivable
    combination of software, malware, virus, etc. and test everything so it's
    100% correct - there wouldn't be a PB. I'd rather a few people get kicked
    for a few weeks on the chance that they are cheating rather than end up
    playing against cheats.

    Dan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > In case of Punkbuster it would be better to just dump it. It is exactly
    > what a lot of Kiddie-Strike server admins told me when it was announced
    > that PB would be used by BF: don't count on it, slow with updates,
    > unreliable and doesn't do much of what it's supposed to.

    Nobody is forcing you to use it. Uninstall it and go play on servers without
    PB.

    Dan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

    >Nobody is forcing you to use it. Uninstall it and go play on servers without
    >PB.

    There isn't a noticeable difference anyway. PB doesn't impress cheaters.

    JK'05 aka Elkrider

Download Games Servers Video Games