New PB server version, news on 81001-81014 bans

From EvenBalance:

Version 1.124 of the PB Server for BF1942 has been released to our PB Master
Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This version
converts some prior PB Violation kicks into Restriction kicks. We have
confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused by
files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
benefit of the doubt for these violations.

Lorian.

"Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:

>We have
>confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
>the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused by
>files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
>adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
>benefit of the doubt for these violations.

My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
two months (!) to get that out...

JK'05

"Jan Kannemacher" <varros@gmx.de> wrote in message
> "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:
>
>>We have
>>confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
>>the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused
>>by
>>files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
>>adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
>>benefit of the doubt for these violations.
>
> My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
> two months (!) to get that out...

Not quite as clear cut as the last lot. Not definitely false positives, but
"could be".

But, as you say, a long time to come out with the statement.

L.

"Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:

>Not quite as clear cut as the last lot. Not definitely false positives, but
>"could be".

If they go so far as to admit the mere possibility, it's quite clear to
me. They did the same with #80031.

>But, as you say, a long time to come out with the statement.

Very much so, yes.

JK'05

"Jan Kannemacher" <varros@gmx.de> wrote in message
> "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote:
>
>>We have
>>confirmed that several gamehack violations (#81001-81014) triggered since
>>the prior PB Server update on 12.11.2004 in BF1942 could have been caused
>>by
>>files or memory that were corrupted by non-cheat programs such as virii,
>>adware, no-cd programs, etc. We encourage PB Admins to give players the
>>benefit of the doubt for these violations.
>
> My, another batch of false positives? Ain't that sweet. But it took them
> two months (!) to get that out...

It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs. Taking into
consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs on
to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
months seems pretty reasonable to me.

Dan

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

>It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
>that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs.

You can take for granted that the PB kicks started within LATEST a few
hours after the upgrade. Give the players a few more hours before
they're pissed off. So Evenbalance has received the first complaints
approx. 48 hours after their update.

>Taking into
>consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
>detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs on
>to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
>months seems pretty reasonable to me.

You must be out of your mind. Causing such a problem by screwing up and
then taking two whole months to solve it? Think it over, please. This is
entirely inacceptable. Consider the consequences - server admins dealing
out bans because PB yet again falsely blames someone for cheating. Do
you really think all these server admins check the Evenbalance news or
forums or even know they exist? Not in a lifetime. "PB says they cheat,
so they cheat. Ban."

> "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>It was 2 months since the last update came out, not since they discovered
>>that those violations could be caused by non-cheat programs.
>
> You can take for granted that the PB kicks started within LATEST a few
> hours after the upgrade. Give the players a few more hours before
> they're pissed off. So Evenbalance has received the first complaints
> approx. 48 hours after their update.

Have you ever tried to repro a situation like this? I spend about half my
time every week trying to repro issues customers have with various items we
sell, and in 99% of situations the problem is caused by "user error" or
something that isn't easy to repro. The only sure way is to get the
customer's PC in front of you and diagnose what's happening. It might take
weeks to try and discover what is causing the problems when trying to deal
with people, especially when most of them probably just complain instead of
sending useful information, or don't even bother to respond.

>>Taking into
>>consideration the time it takes to analyse and verify false positive
>>detections (having to set up machines with the virii/adware/etc programs
>>on
>>to replicate the issue), and the Christmas and New Year holiday period, 2
>>months seems pretty reasonable to me.
>
> You must be out of your mind. Causing such a problem by screwing up and
> then taking two whole months to solve it? Think it over, please. This is
> entirely inacceptable. Consider the consequences - server admins dealing
> out bans because PB yet again falsely blames someone for cheating. Do
> you really think all these server admins check the Evenbalance news or
> forums or even know they exist? Not in a lifetime. "PB says they cheat,
> so they cheat. Ban."

I agree that this shouldn't have happened in the first place. But consider
how much time it would take to set up machines with every conceivable
combination of software, malware, virus, etc. and test everything so it's
100% correct - there wouldn't be a PB. I'd rather a few people get kicked
for a few weeks on the chance that they are cheating rather than end up
playing against cheats.

Dan

> In case of Punkbuster it would be better to just dump it. It is exactly
> what a lot of Kiddie-Strike server admins told me when it was announced
> that PB would be used by BF: don't count on it, slow with updates,
> unreliable and doesn't do much of what it's supposed to.

Nobody is forcing you to use it. Uninstall it and go play on servers without
PB.

Dan

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

>Nobody is forcing you to use it. Uninstall it and go play on servers without
>PB.

There isn't a noticeable difference anyway. PB doesn't impress cheaters.

JK'05 aka Elkrider