Sign in with
Your question

Potential Computer Build

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2012 2:08:30 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: GPU: Now. The rest over the next few months.
BUDGET RANGE: USD GPU:$200-300 The other components ~$800
Before / After Rebates-Either

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming- I mostly play WoW and plan on getting D3 when its released; keeping MoP in mind also, whenever its released. Every once in awhile I delve into a few other games or let a buddy play Crysis/CoD/BF on my desktop because its runs better than what they have, but they aren’t on my priority list. Other than that its movies, videos, etc…

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
PSU: Cooler Master 750w
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GTX and it just bit the dust

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Q9400- Not at the house atm, but I believe this is it.
RAM: 8 GB DDR2 1100-1200- Pretty bad, I know. Will be grabbing better when I upgrade my Mobo.
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212, a couple 80/120mm fans on the side and rear of the case.
Case:Cant remember which exact model of Apevia, but it’s a Mid Tower or Full Tower.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, tigerdicrect, amazon, I’m not too picky as long as its reliable. Theres a microcenter not too far away.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Going with Intel for the processor and I prefer Nvidia for the GPU but will consider other cards if the price/performance is worth it.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, but not until I have all the hardware to support it.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual monitors, one is 1920x1080 and the other is 1440x900.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I plan on upgrading a few parts over the next few months. Planning on a i5-2500k (unless theres a deal on one of the Ivy Bridge CPU and if its worth grabbing over the i5), one of the z68/77 mobo’s, a SSD and definitely upgrading the RAM to at least 8GB DDR3 1600.
May 10, 2012 2:35:59 PM

As you're not going for a full build for a few months, there's really no point in putting one together as things will have changed over that time. For a new GPU, I would go with the 7850...it'll keep your system up to date for the foreseeable future, and you may decide to hold off on a complete upgrade once you see the improvement it gives you.
May 10, 2012 3:50:51 PM

go for microcenter!!
CPU:i5 3570k - $189.99
Case/mobo:500R white and MSI Z77A-G45 - $264.98
this is kind of optional i really like this case i would recommend it whenever i can if it doesn't fit your budget let me know so i can change it to something difference
RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB @ 1600 - $46.99
tried to find something that matches the color of the mobo its also very good ram at low voltage
Heatsink:hyper 212 evo - $34.99
good heatsink for its price can go hyper 212+ if you think you the evo is not worth the 10 extra bucks
PSU:SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $89.99
a great cpu for its price if you are going to plan on sli/CF i would go around 700-800 watts but you won't really need it since D3 should run smooth enough with 1 card
this should be good for options
if you want and SSD you can save a lot of money going for the high memory ones such as 256GB as they are about a 1:1 ratio of money to GB if its to much i can suggest going for 64 or 128GB for OS and some fast boot for games
if you plan on waiting you can go for a 670 it should be around the 300+ range but benchmarks say it performs better than a 7970 on a single display

NOTE:AMD vs Nvidia, AMD tends to win more at higher resolutions(2 or more monitors at 1080p) since you only got 1x1080p monitor and 1x900 i would go with nvidia because i wouldn't use 2 monitors at the same time if they are different res
Related resources
May 10, 2012 4:16:44 PM

diellur said:
As you're not going for a full build for a few months, there's really no point in putting one together as things will have changed over that time. For a new GPU, I would go with the 7850...it'll keep your system up to date for the foreseeable future, and you may decide to hold off on a complete upgrade once you see the improvement it gives you.

I'll be grabbing different parts over the next few months as they go on sale or I have the funds. Looking at whats currently available for most of the upgrades as I prolly won't be getting anything that is "new" in the next several months. Like for the cpu I've pretty much decided on the i5-2500k unless the new IB is close to the same price and wil actually perform that much better.
May 10, 2012 4:24:50 PM

boulbox said:
go for microcenter!!
CPU:i5 3570k - $189.99
Case/mobo:500R white and MSI Z77A-G45 - $264.98
this is kind of optional i really like this case i would recommend it whenever i can if it doesn't fit your budget let me know so i can change it to something difference
RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB @ 1600 - $46.99
tried to find something that matches the color of the mobo its also very good ram at low voltage
Heatsink:hyper 212 evo - $34.99
good heatsink for its price can go hyper 212+ if you think you the evo is not worth the 10 extra bucks
PSU:SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $89.99
a great cpu for its price if you are going to plan on sli/CF i would go around 700-800 watts but you won't really need it since D3 should run smooth enough with 1 card
this should be good for options
if you want and SSD you can save a lot of money going for the high memory ones such as 256GB as they are about a 1:1 ratio of money to GB if its to much i can suggest going for 64 or 128GB for OS and some fast boot for games
if you plan on waiting you can go for a 670 it should be around the 300+ range but benchmarks say it performs better than a 7970 on a single display

NOTE:AMD vs Nvidia, AMD tends to win more at higher resolutions(2 or more monitors at 1080p) since you only got 1x1080p monitor and 1x900 i would go with nvidia because i wouldn't use 2 monitors at the same time if they are different res

I hadn't seen the i5-3570k was available for less than the i5-2500k, thanks foir the heads up. Just curius, why is it less than the 2nd gen cpu? I'l be getting another 1080p moniter shortly, sorry forgot to mention that. If running two cards cards SLI costs about the same as one better card, which would give better performance? Like two of the 4xx series vs one 560ti or the card you mentioned?
May 10, 2012 5:06:51 PM

Sorry if my post/replies are confusing, I'll try to clear it up a bit. These are the potential parts I'd like and would like some feedback about whether they're good choices or could be better. To narrow down the time frame, I'd say by the end of June if that helps.

CPU- i5-2500k vs i5 3570k. The price difference isn't too bad, just wondering which will give more bang for the buck; I do plan on overclocking a bit.
Mobo-MSI Z77A-G45 for $149.99 or the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 for $147. Is there much difference between the two mobo's?
Case- I have an Apevia that should do the trick, not too worried about this piece.
Cooling- Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo- I have this in my rig currently.
RAM- G. Skill Aries Series 8GB@1600- $47.00
HDD- 1-2TB are available from newegg for a little over $100-$150. Not too worried about this as its just for data.
HDD- Crucial M4 128GB-$119.00. Seems to be pretty good/reliable
PSU- The Cooler Master I have is pretty new and is 750w, will be able to give more details when I get home.
Optical Drive- Lots of choices at the $20 range.
OS- I have a spare copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit already, good here.
GPU- This is where I need the most help. Do I get two low/mid range cards and run them in SLI or one mid/high range? I'm not sure where the actual ranges split up but I suppose its one ~$250-275 card or two lesser cards that add up to the same total?
!