Sign in with
Your question

Help! Just upgraded to Radeon 6850, however monitor wont display image

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2012 5:57:26 PM

Hi guys

I was hoping you could please help. Ive just upgraded my Nvidia 8800GT with a Radeon 6850. Ive clipped the card into the motherboard and attached the two 6 pin pci-e connectors via molex adaptors which came with the card. The problem is upon booting up, while the fan starts to spin on the card and everything seems operational, im receiving no image on the monitor.

I reconnected my 8800GT which runs on a single 6 pin pci-e connector and the image appears perfectly fine.

What could the problem be? In the back of my mind im thinking maybe my 500W PSU isnt able to supply enough power? But if this is the case, is this the sort of problem you would come to expect?

My system specs are below and ive included a few pictures of my set up as well as of my PSU so you can see the power ratings etc.

Thanks!!

Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.0Ghz | Arctic Cooling F7 Pro | Asus P5N-E SLI | 3GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum XTC | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Internal: Maxtor 200GB SATA | External: Seagate 1TB | Sony DW-D23A 16x DVD±RW | Windows 7 32Bit | HEC 500W PSU

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

March 7, 2012 9:21:41 PM

So you .....

1. Uninstalled the nvidia GFX drivers, rebooted and shut down
2. Removed the card.
3. Installed the AMD card.
4. Booted and got no image ?
Related resources
March 8, 2012 5:29:41 AM

rolli59 said:
It is a possibility that your boards version 1.x PCIe slot can not support version 2.1 card. Try a BIOS update http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_...

I wasnt aware that my motherboard has PCI-E 1.x slot, I may try the bios update. Is this likely to reset my OC voltage settings etc however?

JackNaylorPE said:
So you .....

1. Uninstalled the nvidia GFX drivers, rebooted and shut down
2. Removed the card.
3. Installed the AMD card.
4. Booted and got no image ?

I didnt do step 1 with uninstalling the nvidia drivers but did the rest. Must I definately do step one?

Thanks for your responses
March 8, 2012 10:15:22 AM

Nvidia drivers might be your issue!
!