Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Possible Upgrade?

Last response: in Components
August 27, 2012 2:25:21 PM

I need to know if this upgrade is even possible before I do it and screw up my computer (Compaq CQ-5320F)

Current Specs:

Narra6 motherboard
3GB RAM
Bestec 250w atx power supply
AMD Athlon II x2 240 processor
nVIDIA Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset

Did I forget anything? just remind me.

Possible Upgrades:

Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Going to take out the 1GB stick of ram and replace it with a 2GB Crucial ram stick -
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2...

And finally, GT 440 graphics card -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is it worth it? Does it WORK? Thank you in advanced.

More about : upgrade

August 27, 2012 3:26:31 PM

Is it worth it=Yes
Does it Work=Yes
Score
August 27, 2012 3:33:21 PM

It's should work, but there are a few things you should consider.

First, make sure that the Bestec 250w PSU is a standard size. I know you said it's ATX, but make sure because sometimes PSUs in of the shelf computers are custom sizes.

Second, it's a better idea to add an additional 1gb of RAM (for a total of 2GB) so the RAM will operate in dual channel mode.

Finally, what about a HD6670 instead of the GTX 440? The 6670 is a much faster card and costs only a few dollar more.
Score
Related resources
August 27, 2012 4:36:59 PM

jsrudd said:
It's should work, but there are a few things you should consider.

First, make sure that the Bestec 250w PSU is a standard size. I know you said it's ATX, but make sure because sometimes PSUs in of the shelf computers are custom sizes.

Second, it's a better idea to add an additional 1gb of RAM (for a total of 2GB) so the RAM will operate in dual channel mode.

Finally, what about a HD6670 instead of the GTX 440? The 6670 is a much faster card and costs only a few dollar more.

Yes, it is a standard sized PSU.
I have 2 sticks of ram in my computer already, 1 being 2 gb and the other 1 gb, so that's why I wanted to change the 1 gb to 2gb instead so I would have 4 GB.

I kind of wanted to stick with nVIDIA because I heard the AMD graphics cards are faster but are less quality. Is that true or should I just go with the HD6670 anyways?
Score
August 27, 2012 4:55:51 PM

osamabintrollin said:
Yes, it is a standard sized PSU.
I have 2 sticks of ram in my computer already, 1 being 2 gb and the other 1 gb, so that's why I wanted to change the 1 gb to 2gb instead so I would have 4 GB.

I kind of wanted to stick with nVIDIA because I heard the AMD graphics cards are faster but are less quality. Is that true or should I just go with the HD6670 anyways?

O_o what do you mean by "less quality" amd is a large factory of both cpus and gpus. they have to make overall quality products in order to sell their stuff. Sir, you probably just ran into a fanboy who passed around that information. Both companies do fine on the gpu front.
Score
August 27, 2012 8:14:39 PM

dudewitbow said:
O_o what do you mean by "less quality" amd is a large factory of both cpus and gpus. they have to make overall quality products in order to sell their stuff. Sir, you probably just ran into a fanboy who passed around that information. Both companies do fine on the gpu front.

Ah ok lol

Score
September 6, 2012 12:04:35 AM

So...I got the power supply, decided to get the ram at a later time, and now, going to save up for one of the HD 6670
Any ideas or feedback?
Score
September 6, 2012 9:13:29 AM

osamabintrollin said:
So...I got the power supply, decided to get the ram at a later time, and now, going to save up for one of the HD 6670
Any ideas or feedback?

Yes, ask GPU related questions in the GPU forum.
Score
!