I really need some help - Please - ty

RANC

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello, My knowledge about computer is not to good - and I really need to make couple questions, with all my respect to the plp who really know.
( also - excuse my English - Im from Cuba - I will try to do my best ) TY
Recently I was able to build my new computer.
Here is the specs:
- Case: Cougar / Evolution
- PSU: Rosewill Green Series / Single 12V Version / 80 Plus Cert. 700Watts
- Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
- CPU : Zambesi FX 6100 Black Edition / 6 Cores
- RAM : GSkill / 2x4 / 8GB / 1600
- Optical : Samsung 22x DVD/ROM
- Storage : Samsung 830 / SSD 128 GB
- 7 Fans
The last component I was waiting for , was Graphics Card.
I buy the Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB.
So - I put Card in and begin installing OS ( Windows 7 Pro 64 bits / OEM ).
Everything was PERFECT.
Computer super-fast - all programs I install on SSD working perfect.
But here come the problem.
I decide to check a game I play sometimes , to see how look and act.
I login and begin to play - after 10-20 minutes,
computer get black screen and SHUT down automatically.
I try to play with some settings on Catalyst. Nothing.
In normal state , Card was always at 30-32.
When I begin to play , she go to 43-47 and Shut down again, and again , and again.
Until I get tired ( after 2 days ), and decide to RMA.
Lucky me that I was able to get an RMA/REFUND - so I will buy an different model/type of Graphics Card.
When I receive the Graphics Card package at my house - I notice that the top of the Sapphire box have an cut ( like somebody cut with an rezor ).
And also in the back of the card ( circuit panel ) , I see some wierd things , like stain or fingerprints of oil, something really strange.

My first question:
Can any friend here guide me about what to do or what kind of Card to buy? - ty.
Now I receive an Mechanical Hard Drive I buy:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB / 64 MB Cache / NCQ / 7200 RPM / Sata 6GB/s.
My second question :
I have Windows installed on the SSD , working very good , I want to use the Barracuda for storage , do I have to format or anything the Barracuda , or just plug in the cables and start Windows?
Thanks very much...... RANC

ram1009

Distinguished
Personally, I stopped using AMD/ATI graphics cards because the drivers are buggy. The HDD you mention should be fine for storage. Since you already have your OS installed and running on your SSD you should be able to just plug in your new HDD and boot as usual. I would then format the HDD from within Windows. BTW, your English is better than some. At least you have an excuse.

RANC

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Thank you very much - ram1009 - so - can I use ANY kind/type of Graphics Cards? ( Nvidia/Radeon , etc ) ?
Or I just can use Radeon because my Mobo is AMD ?
Also - when we FORMAT hard drives - that is to make Partitions? and for example in 1 Partition I can keep 3D Programs with ALL their files and Data , and in another Partition I can keep Games with ALL their files and Data?
Thanks again...................RANC

ram1009

Distinguished
You can use any graphics card that matches the PCI bus on your MB. It doesn't matter if it's AMD or Nvidia or other. When you format your HDD you can make multiple partitions and store whatever you like in them. However, most people with an SSD as their boot drive use the SSD for games and other speed sensitive programs. Games are why most people get SSDs in the first place.

randomkid

Distinguished

Nope. I got 5 AMD cards ( 2x4770 + 1x4890 + 2x6950 ) and all work fine. Even crossfiring 6XXX series are much better today if not at par with nVidia SLI.

Otherwise, all your other advise are good. Cheers!

RANC

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks ALL - yes Sunius - I connect the power cable from PSU to Graphics Card -
( I just send back the Sapphire Radeon Card to NewEgg for my Refund , yesterday )
What I dont understand is why everything was SO nice/clear/perfect on desktop/browsing/files/etc;
but when I just log in in RoM , Card begin to raise Temp and at 45-47 , computer shutdown.
I was checking yesterday the reviews on NewEgg for few Graphics Cards , but I really dont know which to choose.
The problem is that for me ALL that Cards look good - :))
This problem for me have been giving me headaches , because after spending all this amount of money
on my new build , I cannot understand why , just because that Graphics Card - I cannot finishing and use my
new computer in peace.
I was looking at an : XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521
but now Im not sure if I go again with Radeon's or if go with Nvidia.
My Motherboard : ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ : is this motherboard able to use an Nvidia Graphics card?

RANC

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

***************************************************************************************
....When you format your HDD you can make multiple partitions and store whatever you like in them......
So - what are the Partitions for - to divide the Hard Drive in parts?
For example : I will use my new Barracuda to store all other Programs that I use , plus E-Books - Data - Files - etc,etc.
So - if I make 3 Partitions - what you mean is that I can use the Partiton #1 for E-Books
Partition # 2 for all other Programs - etc - etc?
Thanks......

ram1009

Distinguished

I'm glad for your sucess but I and many others have had the opposite experience. After all, that's what buggy meand isn't it.......inconsistent. If everybody had the same problem they would have to fix it or nobody would buy their product.