Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS here and High FPS here... Same here though?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2012 6:58:57 PM

So after 3 months of not figuring this out I am now not leaving the house until I get this!

Here is the problem,

I have a semi good computer running a

i5 2500K

Radeon 5870

OCZ SSD III

G.Skill 8GB RAM

Gigabyte motherboard

right now Im using an old monitor at my moms house so Im only at 1280X1024 but once I fly back to my apartment in the states I have two monitors at 1080 and 1050.

Every so often when I play Battlefield, I will get low fps, sometimes I can play on high/Ultra with no problems and sometimes I need to play on low to get 35 fps! yes even at 1024 i need to play the game on low sometimes to be able to call it playable :( 
This is driving me crazy and until now it was an act of restarting the computer and game until it work. I am done with random acts of god to get it to work and want to fix the problem for good.

If you can help please do!
You will be saving a life ( mine or the computers im not sure :p  )

Thanks in advance!

Light

More about : low fps high fps

March 7, 2012 7:20:30 PM

Download HWmonitor. Play until it happens, then check temperatures of CPU and GPU. I can give you 90% chance it's overheating problem.
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:26:34 PM

Chacked that already :( 
I have an H60 cooler for my CPU and I used core Temp to check temps and CCC to check GPU temps , everything had a good cool temp.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 7:29:40 PM

What were the exact numbers?
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:31:05 PM

I can recheck if you want?

Give me a second.
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:34:16 PM

Are you playing massive multiplayer games? In Battlefield 3?

If so...your FPS dipping could be players joining/leaving the match/explosions/ all kinds of things.

Have you tried running driver sweeper- and re-installing with the latest drivers? I believe 12.1 are the latest stable drivers.
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:39:59 PM

Okay so,

CPU is at 40c
GPU is at 58c
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:40:44 PM

I am currently running the 12.1 drivers
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:47:45 PM

Please download new ones! Remove old ones with driver sweeper first.
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:47:48 PM

Have you tried running driver sweeper? Remnants from old drivers can cause problems (low FPS, crashing, etc).
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:49:57 PM

I re-installed the OS twice!
m
l
March 7, 2012 8:09:00 PM

Whats your power supply, wattage, make and model name.
m
l
March 7, 2012 8:20:18 PM

You haven't stated anything about your PSU. Usually, random performance loss on some occasion is because the PSU can't cope with the load requested by the system. For your spec to run on such pressure like BF3, a Bronze grade 500watt PSU should be enough.

Still, if got that PSU part covered already, I suspect a few things:

- Somewhat driver errors...be it GPU, chipset or any other thing that impact overall performance.

- Something is being run on the background aside your gaming that taxing too much. Let say, malware? Or the OS doing something without your permission, perhaps installing updates or whatever.

-And again, this is something related to power and electricity, or somewhat. Perhaps you need to check the power line that your PC is jack in to. Or try use something like stavolt to stabilize the current. It just so happens I got some experience with this kind of problem too. The PC was great when jacked to power from somewhere else, but when jacked in my friend's room power source, somehow it just didn't perform like it did before. The problem solved by changing the power cable all the way to his house backbone cable. It appears the previous cable was not reliable for another burden like his PC.
m
l
March 7, 2012 8:22:45 PM

I totally changed the PSU,

I had an OCZ 700W and now I have a Corsair one so yeah not the PSU

and before you ask, this problem started to happen so i called Sapphire and got a new card, twice... they dont like me anymore lol

m
l
March 7, 2012 8:23:47 PM

I will say,

thank you to all of you who are trying to help me figure this out. as you can see its something that's really out of the ordinary and I'm just lost!

So again, Thank you!
m
l
March 7, 2012 8:28:02 PM

What exact Gigabyte motherboard do you have? If you have more than 1 PCIEx16/8 slot try putting the GPU in the other slot.
m
l
March 7, 2012 9:26:05 PM

Good Idea, I will try that and get back to you!

Its now 1:30am so I'm crashing but expect a response first thing in the morning!
m
l
March 8, 2012 7:54:23 AM

Chainzsaw said:
Whats your power supply, wattage, make and model name.

I have a Corsair 650W in right now but before that I had an OCZ 700W PSU
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:24:51 AM

So I just changed the slot the Graphic card was in,

Right after I restarted the computer the game worked great so for now we are good.
It is asking me to update to the 12.2 driver but I dont know if I should...
m
l
March 8, 2012 12:31:01 PM

ilikegirls said:
So I just changed the slot the Graphic card was in,

Right after I restarted the computer the game worked great so for now we are good.
It is asking me to update to the 12.2 driver but I dont know if I should...

Nice...well I wouldn't update to 12.2 just yet (FYI i'm using 12.2 but haven't had a chance to play games on it yet, still setting up my computer). If your current drivers are working after switching to the other slot...just keep them.

m
l
March 8, 2012 2:05:17 PM

As of now everything is working great!
I managed to hit 100fps on High setting but the question I have is, does this mean the Other PCI slot is bad and that I wont be able to use two cards?
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:15:11 PM

ilikegirls said:
As of now everything is working great!
I managed to hit 100fps on High setting but the question I have is, does this mean the Other PCI slot is bad and that I wont be able to use two cards?

Good to hear its working good now.

It's hard to say...it might be a bad PCIE slot...or maybe your GPU just doesn't like that slot? Did you check the other slot (the one that was giving problems) to see if there is any foreign objects in it (like dust, or pieces of something)?

What you could try is - if you have a spare PCIE card - try running your PC with it in the "bad" slot see if it does anything different. If it does mess up again with a totally different card - your slot might be bad, if it doesn't, maybe your GPU just doesn't like that slot.
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:23:47 PM

Sounds like a plan, thank you!

I will keep you posted on how things go the next few days with the computer and if I see any other problems with the graphics card
m
l
March 8, 2012 5:33:18 PM

Bad news, FPS just dropped!
m
l
March 8, 2012 5:43:19 PM

Alright well you will have to explain what exactly happened when your FPS dropped. Were you playing online? Did it drop for just a few seconds, or did it drop and stay dropped? And what exact game are you trying to play, Battlefield? 1 2 or 3? FPS dropping during heavy action is quit normal BTW.

Did you try alt+Tabbing and checking your task manager when your FPS dropped to see if anything was taking up CPU time or resourceS?
m
l
March 8, 2012 6:02:42 PM

Well, I went into a game and the fps right out of the bat was low so I restarted the computer and everything seems to work okay now...

I am playing Battlefield 3 - Online BTW
m
l
March 8, 2012 7:56:40 PM

So you mean that your lag issue just comes whenever it wants and goes away after an reboot?

Play BF3, when it starts to lag, open task manager (don't close the game), go to the "Processes" tab, and sort the programs that are using the most CPU to the least by clicking on the "CPU" column.

Then post here the program that uses the most CPU. (Except Battlefield 3)

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 8:02:12 PM

I should have made it a little clearer, the game wont suddenly drop to low fps while I'm playing it. It will usually take me playing other games or watching TV for a little bit and then when I start the game back up again it drops

sorry that wasn't clear.
m
l
March 8, 2012 8:03:05 PM

bloc97 said:
So you mean that your lag issue just comes whenever it wants and goes away after an reboot?

Play BF3, when it starts to lag, open task manager (don't close the game), go to the "Processes" tab, and sort the programs that are using the most CPU to the least by clicking on the "CPU" column.

Then post here the program that uses the most CPU. (Except Battlefield 3)

Hope it helps! :) 

Do you want to do this only when I get low fps or the other way around?
m
l
March 8, 2012 8:04:56 PM

Do it when you get low fps!
m
l
March 9, 2012 9:53:12 PM

I just checked the CPU usage and there are a few thing going back in forth below BF3 but
while bf3 is at 50% usage the rest are at 2% max so I dont think thats the problem :( 
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:41:58 PM

This can be either an Hardware issue or an Software issue...

When BF3 lags, do you see anything unusual in HWMonitor? Voltage, temps, clocks, etc.
Check those one by one.

Also, do the lag issue "cure" itself if you leave the computer open for a long time? Or you have to reboot it?
m
l
March 11, 2012 1:18:43 PM

This issue will never start while in game or even while loading different levels within the game. It will only happen when I leave BF3 and go play something else or leave the computer alone for a while completely.
m
l
March 11, 2012 1:59:06 PM

So while BF3 lags, can you just continue to play and see if the lag issue goes away?

Nevertheless, it can be an power-saving feature that doesn't stop even after you play a game.
m
l
March 11, 2012 2:03:23 PM

I tried playing until it reverted back to higher fps but still nothing :( 
How would I get regarding the powered saving feature?

m
l
March 11, 2012 3:43:43 PM

There are things in the computer that helps power saving by down-clocking the CPU and the GPU when you don't use them.

Be sure to have "High Performance" enabled in Power Options. It works even if you aren't on a Laptop.

Also, how does the lag look like? Is it just low FPS, a stuttering feel, or fluctuating FPS?
m
l
March 11, 2012 4:05:17 PM

Did you check the temperatures? Either I missed or you didn't post them.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:24:47 AM

Yeah I did check temps, as stated before the temps while playing for an hour are

CPU 40
GPU 58

As for the power option bloc97, I checked and everything on my computer is showing that max performance is the selected preference
m
l
!