Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I'm running Ubuntu on my new build:

AMD Athlon II x3 450
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 Mobo
Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430

I turned the computer on and after booting it went to a Grub screen where anything I did would not work. So I tried memtest86+ and noticed that the processor it was listing was not the one I installed. It's listed as a Phenom II x4 B50 processor. I know that it was not like this yesterday. And now the computer will not boot, the farthest I get is a black screen with a "_" blinking in the upper left hand corner. I can't even boot from a LiveCD.

The only thing that I could think of after some searching is that the fourth core unlocked but I don't know how that would happen since I don't know how to do that, and no one who uses the computer could either.

Any ideas? Is the unlocked core the problem and if so how do I change it back?

I'm also concerned that with a fourth core unlocked it might stress my system out? The fans have seemed extra loud and I don't know why. Do I need to adjust fan speeds or voltage(not comfortable doing that...) to compensate?

Thanks!

Looks like you have core unlock activated in BIOS. The B50 is an indication of an X3 trying to run as X4. Changing that by resetting BIOS to defaults either by removing motherboard battery or follow instructions how to clear CMOS in your manual with the jumper.