Can RDP and VPN coexist

mlamont88

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello,
Sometimes I need to administer the server, but always need to VPN. Can RDP be active while a separate VPN is active?

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Depends on location and security. Are you at home and need to connect to a server at work? At work and need to access a server at work? At work, in a domain, and the server is in a different domain?

mlamont88

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I'm using W2k3 Server R2 sp2. Ineed VPN to map drives as needed, VPN works. However, I need RDP for administration.

RDP works until I start "Remote Access and Routing." RDP also, works when I stop "Remote Access and Routing."

It must be something in "Remote Access and Routing," also this conbination worked in W2K server, ie both VPN and Terminal Server (admin mode) co-existed without problem.

I fear, yet suspect this connundrum is yet another hidden "feature" that got corrected by those wonderful gurus at MS.

L
ps I appreciate your reply, However I asked a pretty direct question. If you have two scenarios please spell them out. Also THE OBVIOUS answer to "... are you at ..." IS I AM remote to WHATEVER I"M trying to connect TO!! i could be on the moon trying to connect to girlfriend's mother's AVON network. I get tried of these questions about the question about the question... I looks like "padding" your reponse count..

mlamont88

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

I'm using W2k3 Server R2 sp2. Ineed VPN to map drives as needed, VPN works. However, I need RDP for administration.

RDP works until I start "Remote Access and Routing." RDP also, works when I stop "Remote Access and Routing."

It must be something in "Remote Access and Routing," also this conbination worked in W2K server, ie both VPN and Terminal Server (admin mode) co-existed without problem.

I fear, yet suspect this connundrum is yet another hidden "feature" that got corrected by those wonderful gurus at MS.

L
ps I appreciate your reply, However I asked a pretty direct question. If you have two scenarios please spell them out. Also THE OBVIOUS answer to "... are you at ..." IS I AM remote to WHATEVER I"M trying to connect TO!! i could be on the moon trying to connect to girlfriend's mother's AVON network. I get tried of these questions about the question about the question... I looks like "padding" your reponse count..