Rec for replacement video card for Dell Dimension 8300 on 250w PSU

fighting69

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello all,

My vintage Dell Dimension 8300 blew a video card the other day.
The fan on the Radeon 9800 Pro melted off during the night.
The card appears to be dead and though I am tempted to try to
bake it back to life it is probably safer for all if I just replace it.

The computer has a Pentimum 4 at 3.0, a 250w stock Dell PSU and 1 GB DDR Ram.

I am looking for recommendations for an AGP card that will get the system
up and running so I can transfer some files from the HD and continue to use it for work
for a couple more months. The Dimenison is used for 65% work stuff(Office and creating PDFs),
30% surfing and 5% for watching movies. I am hoping to spend as little as possible as the computer just needs to get me through until June or so when I can finally replace it.

Newegg has a refurbished HD 3650 available for $60 as a last resort but any insight into cheaper options
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

fighting69

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
So thanks to my father-in-law, my computer is back up and running on
a circa 1999 NVidia RIVA TNT2. Once we had Windows XP back up and were
testing out the computer he expressed interest in keeping the machine once I have
an upgrade. He has been retired for a long time and still considers the P4 a fast CPU.
I think he plans to use the computer as a movie platform in their den (watching on both
the computer and streaming to a flat screen). Since the old Dell will continue in service
I do want to put a better AGP card in it for him.

Newegg has a refurbished Diablotek Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 card for $15.
ATI recommends a 400W power supply for the card but I only have a 250.

Does the community think the card would work in my computer as is and suit my inlaws' needs?
To recap it is Dell Dimension 8300 Windows XP SP3 Pentium 4@3 Ghz, 1 GB RAM and Dell 250W PSU.

What do you think? Thanks for any replies.