Should I try to sell my HP as as a whole or just reuse some parts?

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Hello, I have a dilema. I currently own an HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01643518&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen&lc=en&product=3895732
But I am working on a new build (already have case,mobo,cpu,psu,memory,heatsink and fan)
Specs for my HP:
Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle 3)
Processor: Phenom X4 9150e (1.8 GHz)
Memory: 7 GB
Video graphics: Integrated nVidia GeForce 6150
Sound/Audio: Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
Networking: LAN: 10-Base-T
Hard drive: WD Blue 640GB 3.0Gb/s 7200 RMP
CD/DVD disc drive: DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive
Memory Card Reader: 15-in-1multimedia card reader
Computer Case: Mid-size ATX
Power Supply: 300W
Front I/O ports: 1394:1 (FireWire), USB:2, Headphone:1, Microphone:1
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to decide whether to try and sell this on e-bay as a whole (it might be worth more that way), or save myself some money by saving the HDD and OS on my new build; and try to sell the rest of the parts separately.

If I keep it as is, I would have to spend $80 on a new HDD and $100 on Windows 7 for my new build (don't need drive). Also Windows 8 is almost here..

If reuse the HDD and OS I'm left with something is that is probably harder to sell (case, mobo, cpu, psu, and drive; without OS and HDD).
On the other hand it might not even sell...

Do you guys think this would sell or not? What do you think we could be looking at here. Is it worth trying to sell it as a whole or just reuse the parts I need and try to sell the rest. What would you do?

The HP is very clean and performs like new. Have had 0 problems. It's under 3 years old.

Thanks for suggestions.

Solution
Usually, in a pre-built consumer PC, there's nothing of value to reuse. Maybe the one exception to this rule is the HDD, but that amounts to perhaps $80 at most.

My instinct is to just have you sell the HP as a whole. People that buy second-hand pre-built PCs probably won't be hunting down missing parts anyway, and you will be able to extract more money out of the buyer if all parts are there.

Also, the OS cannot legally be reused on another machine, as its an OEM license and it's tied to the machine itself.
Usually, in a pre-built consumer PC, there's nothing of value to reuse. Maybe the one exception to this rule is the HDD, but that amounts to perhaps $80 at most.

My instinct is to just have you sell the HP as a whole. People that buy second-hand pre-built PCs probably won't be hunting down missing parts anyway, and you will be able to extract more money out of the buyer if all parts are there.

Also, the OS cannot legally be reused on another machine, as its an OEM license and it's tied to the machine itself.

Solution

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

Very nice answer, thank you.