Will these 2 cards Crossfire?

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I found a 2GB 6950 for a good price and want to snag it up, it is almost identicle to my 1st card but not quite.... the 1st link is to my card I already own and 2nd link is to the one I want to buy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93094

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=708649

I see no reason why they should not be fine..... but the "DD XXX" edition does not openly say it has crossfire support like the 1st one, and it says it is OPEN GL 3.2, the one I own is 4.0....

Solution
Temperatures allowing, by all means when you get the second bring that one up to 880 as well. You'll be looking at nice performance. Again though and I can't stress enough, make sure there are 2 pci lanes between the top pcie and bottom pcie 16x slots (leaving a full pci width between for air flow).

A lot of people including myself have spent the money to multi card their systems with non reference cooled cards just to find out they can't stack back to back like the reference cards can. I'd hate to see you spend the money and see the top cards temperatures go through the roof only after a few minutes of gaming.

Most motherboards these days have plenty of space between though still some don't. If you find you don't have the space...

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
They are compatible yes. With those cooling types make sure you have at least a full pci slot width in between both cards. If you do you are good to go.

If I may suggest, you should probably run the single fan card on the bottom and run an aftermarket utility like afterburner to set the freq's to 830 manually.

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

right now my one that was stock 800 is at 880, so I will take it down to 830 when I install the new one. I dont know much about OCing though probably should not take it back it

I also picked up another 24in monitor... should be fun.

I had been scanning for a while, but man, 6900s supply is dried up everywhere.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Temperatures allowing, by all means when you get the second bring that one up to 880 as well. You'll be looking at nice performance. Again though and I can't stress enough, make sure there are 2 pci lanes between the top pcie and bottom pcie 16x slots (leaving a full pci width between for air flow).

A lot of people including myself have spent the money to multi card their systems with non reference cooled cards just to find out they can't stack back to back like the reference cards can. I'd hate to see you spend the money and see the top cards temperatures go through the roof only after a few minutes of gaming.

Most motherboards these days have plenty of space between though still some don't. If you find you don't have the space I would look for a ref cooled card to run on the top.

Solution

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I have P8P67, and right now am only using one of the PCI slots (Wireless Network Card), I think I should be ok, worst case I have to put out the WIFI (was only like 20 bucks anyways) and get a USB WIFI card. I should be good on power I have a 750w, and I did the Thermalake Calc and with 2 cards I need about 580 to 600, so with a little OCing I may use what, 650?700 tops right?

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Oh man, no worries. You are totally good to go with that motherboard. Even with the 750 watt you'll be able to oc. Good thing about AMD cards, they aren't too bad at all at sucking the power like the mammoth power mongers nvidia cards are.

Just make sure the psu has all 4x 6pin pcie connectors you'll need to connect them. Those calc results you got are slightly inflated. I was running 2x 580's with an overclocked 2600k and my battery ups readout was between 450-600 at the factory oc. With furmark and a spine tingling overclock (on air) I could make it go over 850 watts. That should make you breath a little easier :)

As a side note your psu will be taxed, and if it is aged and or a non high end name brand it's lifespan will be decreased quite rapidly. Some lesser name brands like to say they have more wattage then the psu should really be labeled as. My thoughts are that you should be fine.

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

got a Corsair TX750M There 2 6+2 plugs that are permant, and I have two more modular ones I can plug in. Its just the Bronze edition, but when I was buying the gold was not availible. And ya I think 680s draw more power than even a 6970, let alone my 6950s....

I look at my MOBO since the last post I may or may not have to remove my PCI card.... right now it is in the bottom one to give more space to the my single 6950 in the 16x slot. I will either have to smoosh it between the two cards in the 1st slot or just yank it out.... looks like I will have a wire running across my room because I just dont like USB Wifi that much.....

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
That psu will definitely get the job done. Good luck on your wifi, though you'll figure out something. I've always read 6950's scale excellent in xfire and it will be worth it. Enjoy!