Mar 7, 2012
Hi guys,
I recently made a build with the following parts:

AMD A8-3870k (integrated HD 6550D)
Asus F1A75-M Pro
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 8gb
Corsair Builder CX-430
Crucial 64gb SSD

From day one I've had abnormal graphics going on. Windows on the desktop are laggy, leaving trails when dragged. Scrolling on websites sometimes takes half a second to register. FMV video for games tears horizontally. Everything just generally feels sluggish.

Also, there's an intermittent high-pitched crackling/buzzing that comes from near the CPU but not the CPU itself. I originally thought this was a bad capacitor on the motherboard, so I had it replaced. Same graphical issues, same weird noise. It's not the CPU or chassis fans, as I've run with those unplugged and the noise is still there.

I've already tried reinstalling Windows, and have the latest drivers for the CPU/GPU and motherboard. I installed all important updates for Windows 7 (64 bit). I've run Memtest for an hour and had zero errors. Checked that cables are securely inserted and all that.

I'm getting really frustrated because this is my first build and I don't have much money to keep sending parts in one by one for RMAs.

I'm thinking it might be the power supply - could a faulty one cause graphical errors like this? Or is it possibly some software/BIOS feature I need to enable or check?

I just want to get some opinions on this before I spend $20 to ship the PSU back which may not even be the problem.

Here's a pic of the kind of weird graphics I'm talking about.

bjzo7.jpg