Xbox HDTV: Odd Problem

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2005 7:49:52 PM

Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?

More about : xbox hdtv odd problem

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:45:11 PM

TokaMundo wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
> Gave us:
>
> >Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
> >complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
> >problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
> >dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
> >is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
> >an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
> >the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?
>

> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
> accepts.

Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:03:00 PM

Update -

Got it to work. I tried everything except disabling 720p whilst
enabling both 1080i and 480p. There's another problem, though. Despite
having a 'widescreen' television, I like the picture on 4:3 ratio; when
in the 480p setting (as opposed to regular component), however, it
remains on full screen, and I mean full screen. The picture isn't
nearly as crisp, and I can't get it back to 4:3 without going back to
regular component. Curiously, the Xbox dashboard (widescreen,
letterbox, normal) has no effect on screen size now that it's 'HDTV'.
(480p)
July 12, 2005 11:17:26 PM

aether wrote:
> TokaMundo wrote:
>> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
>> Gave us:
>>
>>> Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
>>> complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality.
>>> This problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the
>>> Xbox's dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well
>>> (when the tray is closed), but immediately after that, the screen
>>> goes blue. This is an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly,
>>> obviously. (otherwise the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the
>>> problem could be?
>>

>> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
>> accepts.
>
> Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
> setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
> worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
> component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
> TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.

....but not DIGITAL. You'll (possibly) have to wait for the 360 for DVI
video. The current Xbox is analog video only.

July 13, 2005 1:45:48 AM

Eric wrote:
> "aether" wrote in message ...
> > Update -
> >
> > Got it to work. I tried everything except disabling 720p whilst
> > enabling both 1080i and 480p. There's another problem, though. Despite
> > having a 'widescreen' television, I like the picture on 4:3 ratio; when
> > in the 480p setting (as opposed to regular component), however, it
> > remains on full screen, and I mean full screen. The picture isn't
> > nearly as crisp, and I can't get it back to 4:3 without going back to
> > regular component. Curiously, the Xbox dashboard (widescreen,
> > letterbox, normal) has no effect on screen size now that it's 'HDTV'.
> > (480p)
> >

> How the screen is filled (4:3 vs 16:9) is a function of the HDTV, not the
> XBox. The 4:3 and 16:9 modes on the XBox are simply to just match the
> textures for whatever your HDTV is set at. Your HDTV should have a button
> on the remote that allows it to easly be switched from 4:3, 16:9, 16:9 Zoom,
> Superzoom, etc. Usually best results are when both the HDTV and XBox are
> set the same, but some games take a little of experimentation.

Yeah, the remote works fine adjusting the ratio with everything else.
(component, composite, digital cable) When the Xbox is on, though, and
in 480p, the remote option to change the screen size is disabled for
some reason. It's as if it's locked in and it's not possible to change.
Perhaps it's a limitation with the TV.

> Yep, the 4:3 oddity is normal. The first "Splinter Cell" is a good example
> of this. This is a 4:3 game that looks beautiful at 4:3, but takes a major
> hit when stretched out to 16:9. 16:9 Zoom was a halfway decent compromise
> though. All the games that attempt "photorealism" suffer this in one way or
> another.

Don't get me wrong, I can tell the difference between regular component
and 480p, but the ratio is ridiculous. It's the entire screen. Try
close quarters combat in Halo 2 with 10% of the screen missing and
enemies the size of real people!

> "Forza Motorsports" is a good example too. It looks great on a SDTV, but
> breaks down on an HDTV (any mode). The XBox simply doesn't have the raw
> power to drive HD resolutions and remain "photoreal". If the new consoles
> weren't just right around the corner, I would actually be considering
> getting an 16:9 EDTV (480i/p only) for the consoles and only using my HDTV
> for cable/movies.
>
> BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the dashboard
> to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
> while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
> dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
> again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at 480p.
>
> Cheers,
> -Eric

Actually, I didn't know that. I tried it and it worked. Much
appreciated, Eric!

Now, if I can only get this screen smaller..
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:11:38 AM

On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
Gave us:

>Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
>complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
>problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
>dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
>is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
>an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
>the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?

Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
accepts.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:34:47 AM

TokaMundo wrote:
> Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
> screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
> plays?

Yeah, the only problem is it's impossible for me to not play the damn
thing at full screen, at least with the two games I've checked so far.
(Halo 2 & Destroy All Humans) It seems stretched, and with Halo 2, it's
harder to play because things are too f'n big.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:38:46 AM

>>>Keep in mind that some 480p games do display in 16:9 and should fill your
entire display with a widescreen set. You should be able to alter the
display either way though. Only a 720p or higher mode will lock to
16:9.
You can see which games support what at www.hdtvarcade.com You might
also
want to post your problem over there for some more help.<<<

Nice link. I checked it out, and both the games that have refused to
change ratio are 16:9. The thing that gets me, is that not even the
remote works in altering the size of the screen. In fact, the option to
change the ratio on the TV when I to go to 'menu select' with the
remote isn't there. I don't get it.
July 13, 2005 8:06:18 AM

"aether" wrote in message ...
> Update -
>
> Got it to work. I tried everything except disabling 720p whilst
> enabling both 1080i and 480p. There's another problem, though. Despite
> having a 'widescreen' television, I like the picture on 4:3 ratio; when
> in the 480p setting (as opposed to regular component), however, it
> remains on full screen, and I mean full screen. The picture isn't
> nearly as crisp, and I can't get it back to 4:3 without going back to
> regular component. Curiously, the Xbox dashboard (widescreen,
> letterbox, normal) has no effect on screen size now that it's 'HDTV'.
> (480p)

How the screen is filled (4:3 vs 16:9) is a function of the HDTV, not the
XBox. The 4:3 and 16:9 modes on the XBox are simply to just match the
textures for whatever your HDTV is set at. Your HDTV should have a button
on the remote that allows it to easly be switched from 4:3, 16:9, 16:9 Zoom,
Superzoom, etc. Usually best results are when both the HDTV and XBox are
set the same, but some games take a little of experimentation.

Yep, the 4:3 oddity is normal. The first "Splinter Cell" is a good example
of this. This is a 4:3 game that looks beautiful at 4:3, but takes a major
hit when stretched out to 16:9. 16:9 Zoom was a halfway decent compromise
though. All the games that attempt "photorealism" suffer this in one way or
another.

"Forza Motorsports" is a good example too. It looks great on a SDTV, but
breaks down on an HDTV (any mode). The XBox simply doesn't have the raw
power to drive HD resolutions and remain "photoreal". If the new consoles
weren't just right around the corner, I would actually be considering
getting an 16:9 EDTV (480i/p only) for the consoles and only using my HDTV
for cable/movies.

BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the dashboard
to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at 480p.

Cheers,
-Eric
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:42:28 AM

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> weren't just right around the corner, I would actually be considering
>> getting an 16:9 EDTV (480i/p only) for the consoles and only using my
>> HDTV
>> for cable/movies.
>>
>> BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
>> dashboard
>> to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
>> while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
>> dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
>> again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
>> 480p.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Eric
>
> Actually, I didn't know that. I tried it and it worked. Much
> appreciated, Eric!
>
> Now, if I can only get this screen smaller..

July 13, 2005 12:10:53 PM

On 12 Jul 2005 17:45:11 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
>> Gave us:
>>
>> >Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
>> >complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
>> >problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
>> >dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
>> >is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
>> >an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
>> >the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?
>>

>> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
>> accepts.
>
>Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
>setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
>worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
>component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
>TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.

Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
plays? Also, what brand and model is the TV?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:15:33 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:17:26 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
Gave us:

>aether wrote:
>> TokaMundo wrote:
>>> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
>>> Gave us:

>>> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
>>> accepts.
>>
>> Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
>> setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
>> worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
>> component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
>> TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.
>
>...but not DIGITAL. You'll (possibly) have to wait for the 360 for DVI
>video. The current Xbox is analog video only.

Good answer. Yes, he MUST use the component video inputs as those
are the only ones supported by the first gen Xbox HDTV hookup.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:21:38 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" <nospm@nospm.not> Gave us:

>BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the dashboard
>to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
>while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
>dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
>again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at 480p.

Nice little trick! Thanks!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:02:59 PM

Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
screen, it'd look tremendous.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:14:25 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 03:34:47 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>> Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
>> screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
>> plays?
>
>Yeah, the only problem is it's impossible for me to not play the damn
>thing at full screen, at least with the two games I've checked so far.
>(Halo 2 & Destroy All Humans) It seems stretched, and with Halo 2, it's
>harder to play because things are too f'n big.

Perhaps your TV is auto-adjusting to 4:3. After getting it "up". Try
looking into your TV's setting/setup.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:30:48 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 13:02:59 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
Gave us:

>Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
>itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
>mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
>resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
>screen, it'd look tremendous.

That would mean that it isn't really an HDTV.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:20:08 AM

So nobody else has experienced similar problems with the Xbox's HD
pack, in terms of resolution / ratio?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:21:33 PM

> So nobody else has experienced similar problems with the Xbox's HD
> pack, in terms of resolution / ratio?

although I can't help directly, my widescreen TV has always behaved with the
HD pack, but you could check out www.avsforum.com. This is where I did my
research before buying my HDTV and although its not a gaming site
specifically, there are LOTS of incredibly knowledgable people in there that
may be able to help you out (im assuming your problem is a limitation with
your TV that you aren't aware of). Do a search for your TV model and you may
found that your question has already been answered (almost every single one
of mine were).

Good luck!, I know how shitty problems like this can be :(

Wurm
July 14, 2005 7:32:47 PM

"aether" wrote in

> Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
> itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
> mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
> resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
> screen, it'd look tremendous.

Hmm. If you set the XBox screen ratio to 4:3 (with 480p/1080i still enabled)
will the HDTV allow a 4:3 ratio? On my HDTV, if the HD source is 4:3 I can
either set the HDTV to 4:3, 16:9 Stretch, or 16:9 Zoom. If the HD source is
16:9, the HDTV allows either 16:9 or 16:9 Zoom. (It can't "downscale" a
native 16:9 HD source to 4:3.) This hold true whether the source is from
the cable box (HD) or the XBox (HD).

That does seem strange that the HDTV is forcing 16:9 even when the HD source
is 4:3. A lot of HD content (especially local HD channels) is still only
4:3 and I can't see a manufacturer having the idea that all HD is 16:9. (?)

I'm sure you probably already checked, but there aren't any disable/enable
options in the user menu that might be giving this strange behavior? There
may be options in the service menu as well. You'll have to google your
particular model for the service codes to get in. If you haven't messed
with service menus in the past, you'll want to get familiarity with them
before making changes. Most service menus don't have "restore to default
settings" functions which means that doing changes (and not keeping notes)
can have to potential to hose the TV. There is plenty of googable resource
information on the subject though.

Cheers,
-Eric
July 14, 2005 7:35:26 PM

"TokaMundo" wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" Gave us:
>

> >BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
dashboard
> >to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
> >while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
> >dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
> >again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
480p.

> Nice little trick! Thanks!

No problem. I figured this "trick" would've been in the little instruction
manual that comes with HDAV pack by now and would be wide known. (?) I
guess not. If I remember right, this "480p dashboard" feature came as part
of one the Live updates a while back.

Cheers,
-Eric
July 14, 2005 7:40:59 PM

> "TokaMundo" wrote in message
> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" Gave us:
> >

> > >BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
> dashboard
> > >to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R
triggers
> > >while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
> > >dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the
above
> > >again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
> 480p.
> > >

> > Nice little trick! Thanks!
>
> No problem. I figured this "trick" would've been in the little
instruction
> manual that comes with HDAV pack by now and would be wide known. (?) I
> guess not. If I remember right, this "480p dashboard" feature came as
part
> of one the Live updates a while back.

Along the same subject, another "feature" after that particular Live update
was the damn "floating dashboard menu" when using the HD pack -- which is
enabled by default. That annoyed me to no end (like being sea sick), but
after some experimentation discovered how to turn that nonsense off:

Simply press "Y" and then "X".

Cheers,
-Eric
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:42:04 PM

Eric wrote:
> I'm sure you probably already checked, but there aren't any disable/enable
> options in the user menu that might be giving this strange behavior? There
> may be options in the service menu as well. You'll have to google your
> particular model for the service codes to get in. If you haven't messed
> with service menus in the past, you'll want to get familiarity with them
> before making changes. Most service menus don't have "restore to default
> settings" functions which means that doing changes (and not keeping notes)
> can have to potential to hose the TV. There is plenty of googable resource
> information on the subject though.
>
> Cheers,
> -Eric

There are settings you can access other than the 'menu/select' button
on the remote? As I type, digital cable is on and I'm able to access
the 'format' options. (4:3, zoom 14:9, 16:9, widescreen, super
widescreen, etc..) However, when I attempt to play the Xbox that
feature is gone, and it remains in widescreen mode. What's more, is
that I'm unable to watch DVD's with the Xbox when it's hooked up to the
HDTV inputs. They simply don't show. BTW, I checked that site but
couldn't find anything concerning this issue. Thanks, though.
!