Xbox HDTV: Odd Problem

Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?
21 answers Last reply
More about xbox hdtv problem

    TokaMundo wrote:
    > On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    > Gave us:
    >
    > >Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
    > >complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
    > >problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
    > >dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
    > >is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
    > >an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
    > >the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?
    >

    > Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
    > accepts.

    Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
    setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
    worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
    component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
    TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.

    Update -

    Got it to work. I tried everything except disabling 720p whilst
    enabling both 1080i and 480p. There's another problem, though. Despite
    having a 'widescreen' television, I like the picture on 4:3 ratio; when
    in the 480p setting (as opposed to regular component), however, it
    remains on full screen, and I mean full screen. The picture isn't
    nearly as crisp, and I can't get it back to 4:3 without going back to
    regular component. Curiously, the Xbox dashboard (widescreen,
    letterbox, normal) has no effect on screen size now that it's 'HDTV'.
    (480p)

    aether wrote:
    > TokaMundo wrote:
    >> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    >> Gave us:
    >>
    >>> Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
    >>> complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality.
    >>> This problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the
    >>> Xbox's dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well
    >>> (when the tray is closed), but immediately after that, the screen
    >>> goes blue. This is an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly,
    >>> obviously. (otherwise the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the
    >>> problem could be?
    >>

    >> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
    >> accepts.
    >
    > Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
    > setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
    > worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
    > component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
    > TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.

    ....but not DIGITAL. You'll (possibly) have to wait for the 360 for DVI
    video. The current Xbox is analog video only.

    Eric wrote:
    > "aether" wrote in message ...
    > > Update -
    > >
    > > Got it to work. I tried everything except disabling 720p whilst
    > > enabling both 1080i and 480p. There's another problem, though. Despite
    > > having a 'widescreen' television, I like the picture on 4:3 ratio; when
    > > in the 480p setting (as opposed to regular component), however, it
    > > remains on full screen, and I mean full screen. The picture isn't
    > > nearly as crisp, and I can't get it back to 4:3 without going back to
    > > regular component. Curiously, the Xbox dashboard (widescreen,
    > > letterbox, normal) has no effect on screen size now that it's 'HDTV'.
    > > (480p)
    > >

    > How the screen is filled (4:3 vs 16:9) is a function of the HDTV, not the
    > XBox. The 4:3 and 16:9 modes on the XBox are simply to just match the
    > textures for whatever your HDTV is set at. Your HDTV should have a button
    > on the remote that allows it to easly be switched from 4:3, 16:9, 16:9 Zoom,
    > Superzoom, etc. Usually best results are when both the HDTV and XBox are
    > set the same, but some games take a little of experimentation.

    Yeah, the remote works fine adjusting the ratio with everything else.
    (component, composite, digital cable) When the Xbox is on, though, and
    in 480p, the remote option to change the screen size is disabled for
    some reason. It's as if it's locked in and it's not possible to change.
    Perhaps it's a limitation with the TV.

    > Yep, the 4:3 oddity is normal. The first "Splinter Cell" is a good example
    > of this. This is a 4:3 game that looks beautiful at 4:3, but takes a major
    > hit when stretched out to 16:9. 16:9 Zoom was a halfway decent compromise
    > though. All the games that attempt "photorealism" suffer this in one way or
    > another.

    Don't get me wrong, I can tell the difference between regular component
    and 480p, but the ratio is ridiculous. It's the entire screen. Try
    close quarters combat in Halo 2 with 10% of the screen missing and
    enemies the size of real people!

    > "Forza Motorsports" is a good example too. It looks great on a SDTV, but
    > breaks down on an HDTV (any mode). The XBox simply doesn't have the raw
    > power to drive HD resolutions and remain "photoreal". If the new consoles
    > weren't just right around the corner, I would actually be considering
    > getting an 16:9 EDTV (480i/p only) for the consoles and only using my HDTV
    > for cable/movies.
    >
    > BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the dashboard
    > to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
    > while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
    > dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
    > again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at 480p.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -Eric

    Actually, I didn't know that. I tried it and it worked. Much
    appreciated, Eric!

    Now, if I can only get this screen smaller..

    TokaMundo wrote:
    > Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
    > screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
    > plays?

    Yeah, the only problem is it's impossible for me to not play the damn
    thing at full screen, at least with the two games I've checked so far.
    (Halo 2 & Destroy All Humans) It seems stretched, and with Halo 2, it's
    harder to play because things are too f'n big.

    >>>Keep in mind that some 480p games do display in 16:9 and should fill your
    entire display with a widescreen set. You should be able to alter the
    display either way though. Only a 720p or higher mode will lock to
    16:9.
    You can see which games support what at www.hdtvarcade.com You might
    also
    want to post your problem over there for some more help.<<<

    Nice link. I checked it out, and both the games that have refused to
    change ratio are 16:9. The thing that gets me, is that not even the
    remote works in altering the size of the screen. In fact, the option to
    change the ratio on the TV when I to go to 'menu select' with the
    remote isn't there. I don't get it.

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> weren't just right around the corner, I would actually be considering
    >> getting an 16:9 EDTV (480i/p only) for the consoles and only using my
    >> HDTV
    >> for cable/movies.
    >>
    >> BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
    >> dashboard
    >> to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
    >> while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
    >> dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
    >> again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
    >> 480p.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> -Eric
    >
    > Actually, I didn't know that. I tried it and it worked. Much
    > appreciated, Eric!
    >
    > Now, if I can only get this screen smaller..

    On 12 Jul 2005 17:45:11 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    Gave us:

    >TokaMundo wrote:
    >> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    >> Gave us:
    >>
    >> >Recently purchased the HD pack, against the advice of many. Most
    >> >complaints concerning the HD pack are over it's picture quality. This
    >> >problem is quite different. I can get DVDs to play, and the Xbox's
    >> >dashboard loads and the Xbox (logo) load screen as well (when the tray
    >> >is closed), but immediately after that, the screen goes blue. This is
    >> >an HDTV, and everything is hooked up properly, obviously. (otherwise
    >> >the DVDs wouldn't play) Any idea what the problem could be?
    >>

    >> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
    >> accepts.
    >
    >Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
    >setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
    >worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
    >component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
    >TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.

    Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
    screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
    plays? Also, what brand and model is the TV?

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:17:26 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
    Gave us:

    >aether wrote:
    >> TokaMundo wrote:
    >>> On 12 Jul 2005 15:49:52 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    >>> Gave us:

    >>> Change the output mode in the video menu to one that your TV
    >>> accepts.
    >>
    >> Appreciate the response. I've tried every output mode, including
    >> setting all on 'yes', and each one 'yes' by itself, and nothing has
    >> worked. I do get sound, however. Placing the cables in the regular
    >> component input works, but not in either of the HD / digital ones. The
    >> TV manual states that it supports both 480p and 1080i.
    >
    >...but not DIGITAL. You'll (possibly) have to wait for the 360 for DVI
    >video. The current Xbox is analog video only.

    Good answer. Yes, he MUST use the component video inputs as those
    are the only ones supported by the first gen Xbox HDTV hookup.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" <nospm@nospm.not> Gave us:

    >BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the dashboard
    >to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
    >while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
    >dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
    >again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at 480p.

    Nice little trick! Thanks!

    Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
    itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
    mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
    resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
    screen, it'd look tremendous.

    On 13 Jul 2005 03:34:47 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    Gave us:

    >TokaMundo wrote:
    >> Try switching the green and blue lines at the TV while the blue
    >> screen is up. Or, actually.. Is the color correct when the DVD
    >> plays?
    >
    >Yeah, the only problem is it's impossible for me to not play the damn
    >thing at full screen, at least with the two games I've checked so far.
    >(Halo 2 & Destroy All Humans) It seems stretched, and with Halo 2, it's
    >harder to play because things are too f'n big.

    Perhaps your TV is auto-adjusting to 4:3. After getting it "up". Try
    looking into your TV's setting/setup.

    On 13 Jul 2005 13:02:59 -0700, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    Gave us:

    >Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
    >itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
    >mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
    >resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
    >screen, it'd look tremendous.

    That would mean that it isn't really an HDTV.

    So nobody else has experienced similar problems with the Xbox's HD
    pack, in terms of resolution / ratio?

    > So nobody else has experienced similar problems with the Xbox's HD
    > pack, in terms of resolution / ratio?

    although I can't help directly, my widescreen TV has always behaved with the
    HD pack, but you could check out www.avsforum.com. This is where I did my
    research before buying my HDTV and although its not a gaming site
    specifically, there are LOTS of incredibly knowledgable people in there that
    may be able to help you out (im assuming your problem is a limitation with
    your TV that you aren't aware of). Do a search for your TV model and you may
    found that your question has already been answered (almost every single one
    of mine were).

    Good luck!, I know how shitty problems like this can be :(

    Wurm

    "aether" wrote in

    > Does anyone else think it might simply be a limitation of the TV
    > itself? That it must display on full screen when in HD resolution? I
    > mean, the remote locks up and won't / can't change the ratio /
    > resolution. If I could get it in a smaller resolution other than full
    > screen, it'd look tremendous.

    Hmm. If you set the XBox screen ratio to 4:3 (with 480p/1080i still enabled)
    will the HDTV allow a 4:3 ratio? On my HDTV, if the HD source is 4:3 I can
    either set the HDTV to 4:3, 16:9 Stretch, or 16:9 Zoom. If the HD source is
    16:9, the HDTV allows either 16:9 or 16:9 Zoom. (It can't "downscale" a
    native 16:9 HD source to 4:3.) This hold true whether the source is from
    the cable box (HD) or the XBox (HD).

    That does seem strange that the HDTV is forcing 16:9 even when the HD source
    is 4:3. A lot of HD content (especially local HD channels) is still only
    4:3 and I can't see a manufacturer having the idea that all HD is 16:9. (?)

    I'm sure you probably already checked, but there aren't any disable/enable
    options in the user menu that might be giving this strange behavior? There
    may be options in the service menu as well. You'll have to google your
    particular model for the service codes to get in. If you haven't messed
    with service menus in the past, you'll want to get familiarity with them
    before making changes. Most service menus don't have "restore to default
    settings" functions which means that doing changes (and not keeping notes)
    can have to potential to hose the TV. There is plenty of googable resource
    information on the subject though.

    Cheers,
    -Eric

    "TokaMundo" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" Gave us:
    >

    > >BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
    dashboard
    > >to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R triggers
    > >while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
    > >dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the above
    > >again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
    480p.

    > Nice little trick! Thanks!

    No problem. I figured this "trick" would've been in the little instruction
    manual that comes with HDAV pack by now and would be wide known. (?) I
    guess not. If I remember right, this "480p dashboard" feature came as part
    of one the Live updates a while back.

    Cheers,
    -Eric

    > "TokaMundo" wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:06:18 GMT, "Eric" Gave us:
    > >

    > > >BTW: You probably are already aware, but if not -- you can set the
    > dashboard
    > > >to display at 480p instead of 480i by simply holding the L and R
    triggers
    > > >while simultaneously pressing the L and R analog stick "buttons". The
    > > >dashboard will reboot at 480p each powerup until you either do the
    above
    > > >again or remove the HD pack. Dashboard is much easier on the eyes at
    > 480p.
    > > >

    > > Nice little trick! Thanks!
    >
    > No problem. I figured this "trick" would've been in the little
    instruction
    > manual that comes with HDAV pack by now and would be wide known. (?) I
    > guess not. If I remember right, this "480p dashboard" feature came as
    part
    > of one the Live updates a while back.

    Along the same subject, another "feature" after that particular Live update
    was the damn "floating dashboard menu" when using the HD pack -- which is
    enabled by default. That annoyed me to no end (like being sea sick), but
    after some experimentation discovered how to turn that nonsense off:

    Simply press "Y" and then "X".

    Cheers,
    -Eric

    Eric wrote:
    > I'm sure you probably already checked, but there aren't any disable/enable
    > options in the user menu that might be giving this strange behavior? There
    > may be options in the service menu as well. You'll have to google your
    > particular model for the service codes to get in. If you haven't messed
    > with service menus in the past, you'll want to get familiarity with them
    > before making changes. Most service menus don't have "restore to default
    > settings" functions which means that doing changes (and not keeping notes)
    > can have to potential to hose the TV. There is plenty of googable resource
    > information on the subject though.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -Eric

    There are settings you can access other than the 'menu/select' button
    on the remote? As I type, digital cable is on and I'm able to access
    the 'format' options. (4:3, zoom 14:9, 16:9, widescreen, super
    widescreen, etc..) However, when I attempt to play the Xbox that
    feature is gone, and it remains in widescreen mode. What's more, is
    that I'm unable to watch DVD's with the Xbox when it's hooked up to the
    HDTV inputs. They simply don't show. BTW, I checked that site but
    couldn't find anything concerning this issue. Thanks, though.

Console Gaming HDTV HD Xbox Video Games