Sign in with
Your question

Anyone notice lack of contrast with display port to DVI adapters?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2012 2:36:00 AM

I am currently using a Cirago 3 to 1 adapter (just using one of the three outputs) to convert my display port out of my XFX 5870 for use in an eyefinity setup. However, no matter how much I change the contrast via monitor controls or software, it just looks very washed out.

I have googled for more than an hour and not found any similar problems to this. Has anyone else noticed this? I tried ordering two other converters but neither worked, so I am not sure if there is any adapter/converter that does NOT exhibit this problem. Is the only fix to get a monitor with native display port in? It really seems some of the bandwidth is being lost in the conversion.
March 8, 2012 8:40:14 PM

No one yet? If possible, could someone with eyefinity who is using a DP to DVI adapter look at this test pattern on each monitor and tell me if they notice a difference in how high in the series they can see the light colored squares on the DP-powered monitor vs the other monitors:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

On mine I can see 51/52 if I adjust my contrast correctly on my two DVI montiors; but on my DP converted monitor, I can only see the squares in the very first image! This shows up in games as a wash out effect on any darker textures.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 7:46:22 AM

I tried that adapter and my monitor would not recognize the signal. It was my impression that with the year+ older cards, you had to use USB-powered adapters. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? Does it ever blank out on you?

Anyway, I guess I can always try another USB-powered adapter. Thanks for checking out the test pattern, really helps me out.
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:29:21 PM

NP.

My card is new so it would make sense if you needed a powered adapter.

I didn't do anything other than plug it in and then set up Eyefinity in CCC. It never blanks out on me.

I would try buying an adapter locally so you could return it if it doesn't work.
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:14:02 PM

For 3 screens, if you're needing a Display Port to DVi adaptor, you'll need an Active one. Not the cheap 10 to 20 bucks adaptors.

Here's the Active Display Port to DVi adaptor I'm using, it's the best deal right now for an actual real Active adaptor. I searched everywhere. Only other models I found that perform the same function and quality as this where 50 USD. This one only set me back $25.99 USD plus a 5 USD packing fee.

http://chinacheapbuy.com/index.php?main_pa...;products_id=69

I also found the same model on Ebay, which maybe from the same source, price is nearly the same.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11030.m43.l...AEF%3AGB%3A1123

The adaptor has an IC circuit for this function that is a new chip and design purposely suited for this, so the performance is A1 and it makes all those other really high priced units obsolete. Forget about trying to use those cables from Amazon for 10 to 20 bucks they can't handle this task.

Hope this information is what you need. Please let me know if you're still having issues and we'll try to solve it. I suspect it's your adaptor. Give the one above a try, it's been perfect for me so far and it's one of the best prices I found.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:11:14 PM

I was able to use replacement adapter to the one I had, and it works very well. Sometimes if put the monitors to sleep and wake them up immediately I'll get a Windows Display Port sync popup error, but everything still works. The contrast matches the other screens perfectly now also, unike the Cirago adapter. I do notice a very occasional "tearing" effect (like a ripple) on the DP screen sometimes, but only once every several days of use, and since it's not my main display, it doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks for the update - yours looks like it is also unpowered though? I think this only works with newer cards then...
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 25, 2012 11:37:05 PM

The older cards can use the "non" usb powered one as long as they are listed as "Active" adapters. I've run an EyeFinity setup since it was officially released (actually before release using 2 4850's and softH). I originally had a powered USB adapter but after a certain catalyst driver update (I think around 10.4) the adapter just refused to work. This was around the same time ATI released the "certified" adapters to vendors. I ended up ordering the HIS adapter that looks like the accell one linked and never had any problems for the 2 years I used it. When I upgraded to Displayport monitors in February i was able to retire my adapter.
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:06:43 AM

That is interesting. All I know is, I gave the active (but unpowered) one a shot (the same Accell one) with my 5870, and it didn't work. I don't remember if the catalyst version was 10.4 or just under (like 10.3), so perhaps that's a factor.

It's too bad more monitors don't come with a DP input, especially since they seem to include all the other options nowadays. As a side note, I did give the Asus 27" ones a try with DP, but they made a very loud buzzing noise that I simply could not stand, and which was vetted to be a common issue with them when I searched across the forums. Now I am using the Acer 27" which I got on sale at $250 each and am very happy with - unlike my 5870 which cost $450 new and now is worth less than $100 :) 
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:49:01 AM

rockafella said:
That is interesting. All I know is, I gave the active (but unpowered) one a shot (the same Accell one) with my 5870, and it didn't work. I don't remember if the catalyst version was 10.4 or just under (like 10.3), so perhaps that's a factor.

It's too bad more monitors don't come with a DP input, especially since they seem to include all the other options nowadays. As a side note, I did give the Asus 27" ones a try with DP, but they made a very loud buzzing noise that I simply could not stand, and which was vetted to be a common issue with them when I searched across the forums. Now I am using the Acer 27" which I got on sale at $250 each and am very happy with - unlike my 5870 which cost $450 new and now is worth less than $100 :) 

From the initial questions I hit suppliers with, when I first was on the hunt, there are the passive cables some are selling (10 to 20 bucks), then there are older active cables which are non-powered extra pin with no IC (around the 20 to 30 bucks), then the expensive powered boxes using a large circuit, then there are these latest models which have an IC that is new, the IC as it's purposely suited for the task the single chip design can draw enough power from the port and doesn't need a seperate power supply. So 4 different types. :) 
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:07:54 AM

That is really useful, thanks! Helps explain the different experiences I've seen reported overall!
m
l
!