This just in... 80% of Japanese gamers are idiots...

Jordan

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10077

"It seems that new franchises will only go so far for Xbox 360; Mist
Walker's RPG Blue Dragon may sport character designs from Dragon Quest
artist Akira Toriyama and a design by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu
Sakaguchi, but it's Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy themselves which
Japanese gamers want - with the survey showing that 80 per cent of
those polled want to see major franchises on the next-gen systems, as
against only 60 per cent who want original titles."

- Jordan

Jordan wrote:
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10077
>
> "It seems that new franchises will only go so far for Xbox 360; Mist
> Walker's RPG Blue Dragon may sport character designs from Dragon Quest
> artist Akira Toriyama and a design by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu
> Sakaguchi, but it's Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy themselves which
> Japanese gamers want - with the survey showing that 80 per cent of
> those polled want to see major franchises on the next-gen systems, as
> against only 60 per cent who want original titles."
>
> - Jordan

Asians have never been noted for their creativity or personality, and
their taste in games reflects this. It isn't a sterotype if it's true.

In article <db35p5$iot$1@dns3.cae.ca>, Wurm <a@b.c> wrote:
>"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jordan wrote:
>> > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10077
>> >
>> > "It seems that new franchises will only go so far for Xbox 360; Mist
>> > Walker's RPG Blue Dragon may sport character designs from Dragon Quest
>> > artist Akira Toriyama and a design by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu
>> > Sakaguchi, but it's Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy themselves which
>> > Japanese gamers want - with the survey showing that 80 per cent of
>> > those polled want to see major franchises on the next-gen systems, as
>> > against only 60 per cent who want original titles."

AAARrrgh. Also known as the failure of the Dreamcast, IMO, which
was _overflowing_ with originality.

>> Asians have never been noted for their creativity or personality, and
>> their taste in games reflects this. It isn't a sterotype if it's true.

A stereotype is still a stereotype even if there's a grain of
truth.

>what a load of horseshit, have you seen the games that come out of japan?,

And Wurm is right, there are plenty of counterexamples to your
stereotype.

OTOH, the games Japan exports aren't necessarily representative of
the games Japan actually plays.

--
Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is
spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

"Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> In article <db35p5$iot$1@dns3.cae.ca>, Wurm <a@b.c> wrote:

Quest

> AAARrrgh. Also known as the failure of the Dreamcast, IMO, which
> was _overflowing_ with originality.

The DC did have alot of original titles, but like many jap games out there,
I just didn't *get* many / most of them, hence I was never really surprised
at its failure. Damn shame too, that machine was a powerhouse for its time.

> >> Asians have never been noted for their creativity or personality, and
> >> their taste in games reflects this. It isn't a sterotype if it's true.
>
> A stereotype is still a stereotype even if there's a grain of
> truth.
>

> >what a load of horseshit, have you seen the games that come out of
japan?,

> And Wurm is right, there are plenty of counterexamples to your
> stereotype.
>
> OTOH, the games Japan exports aren't necessarily representative of
> the games Japan actually plays.

this is interesting, what other genre's are there in japan which have little
to no exposure in N.A.?. I know they have alot of dating sims, or life sim
games (like a review for a game called "I want to be a princess" that made
me chuckle a few years ago) but apart from that im a little in the dark as
ive generally been too cheap to get into importing :)

Wurm

> Asians have never been noted for their creativity or personality, and
> their taste in games reflects this. It isn't a sterotype if it's true.

I have to agree. Japanese outlook on game design and artwork is very
strange. Not to mention, all the same... Original? Maybe in respect to them
being different from American or Euro style games, but relative to other
japanese games and artwork, it's all the same. Don't even get me started on
anime... And yes, there are MANY games in Japan that most people here don't
even know exist, for good reason.

Wurm <a@b.c> wrote:

> this is interesting, what other genre's are there in japan which have little
> to no exposure in N.A.?. I know they have alot of dating sims, or life sim
> games (like a review for a game called "I want to be a princess" that made
> me chuckle a few years ago) but apart from that im a little in the dark as
> ive generally been too cheap to get into importing :)

We don't see a lot of the puzzle, RPG, sports (soccer anyone?), or
strategic (ie. yet more feudal Japan or China games) games.

Other genres we just don't see at all would be trivia games, majong (the
actual game - usually with stripping girls - and definitely not that
stupid solitaire game!) and also the dating-sims you mention.

Then there are the countless tie-in games from popular anime and manga
titles. Basically, take any game genre, and weld characters from some
anime series onto it, and there you go. There are also what I'd call
"story book" games, which really aren't games at all, but a sort of
multi-media presentation of a story - again using the cast from a popular
anime series. (think: 30 minute cut scene with some minigames
interspersed, and you get the idea.)

As is the case with many other things, much of what we DO see from Japan
is their better titles. I can assure you that for every outstanding game
we see from Japan, there's probably 3 or 4 utter bombs that never leave
the country.

Mike B <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have to agree. Japanese outlook on game design and artwork is very
> strange. Not to mention, all the same... Original? Maybe in respect to them
> being different from American or Euro style games, but relative to other
> japanese games and artwork, it's all the same. Don't even get me started on
> anime... And yes, there are MANY games in Japan that most people here don't
> even know exist, for good reason.

So...you're the artwork from all Japanese games (and anime) looks alike?

That's a HUGE simplication, don't you think?

Of course, I'm sure some Japanese would look at the artwork for American
games and make the same misguided comments ;)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Wurm <a@b.c> wrote:
>
> > this is interesting, what other genre's are there in japan which have
little
> > to no exposure in N.A.?. I know they have alot of dating sims, or life
sim
> > games (like a review for a game called "I want to be a princess" that
made
> > me chuckle a few years ago) but apart from that im a little in the dark
as
> > ive generally been too cheap to get into importing :)
>
> We don't see a lot of the puzzle, RPG, sports (soccer anyone?), or
> strategic (ie. yet more feudal Japan or China games) games.
>
> Other genres we just don't see at all would be trivia games, majong (the
> actual game - usually with stripping girls - and definitely not that
> stupid solitaire game!) and also the dating-sims you mention.
>
> Then there are the countless tie-in games from popular anime and manga
> titles. Basically, take any game genre, and weld characters from some
> anime series onto it, and there you go. There are also what I'd call
> "story book" games, which really aren't games at all, but a sort of
> multi-media presentation of a story - again using the cast from a popular
> anime series. (think: 30 minute cut scene with some minigames
> interspersed, and you get the idea.)

Ive seen a few of these, but the adult version of them, can't remember the
specific name for that type of game though.... cant really say they did
anything for me either ;). Sadly, the description also makes me think of the
Xenosaga series somewhat, I love the games and I find that they even beat
out the FF series (huge squaresoft fanboy) but they really are light on
gameplay ;).

> As is the case with many other things, much of what we DO see from Japan
> is their better titles. I can assure you that for every outstanding game
> we see from Japan, there's probably 3 or 4 utter bombs that never leave
> the country.

Im sure this is true, but then again, im sure that this is true for N.A.
games as well. Perhaps not in the console world which has its roots in the
east but im sure they dont get many of the PC games we have access to.

One thing I have noticed with the few jap games which I do have is that they
seem to lack a certain polish that the N.A. versions have. OK, the only jap
games I've played are a few PS1 DDR games, but when I compared the graphics
to the N.A. DDR Konamix they looked like garbage. Also Katmari is a good
example of this, its a great game that I'm still somewhat addicted to, but
they could have really put alot more work into the textures and poly's of
the game. Of course, I've seen 0.000001% of what japan has to offer so this
may easily be an exception to a rule im not aware of :)

Wurm

> Mike B <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have to agree. Japanese outlook on game design and artwork is very
> > strange. Not to mention, all the same... Original? Maybe in respect to
them
> > being different from American or Euro style games, but relative to other
> > japanese games and artwork, it's all the same. Don't even get me started
on
> > anime... And yes, there are MANY games in Japan that most people here
don't
> > even know exist, for good reason.
>
> So...you're the artwork from all Japanese games (and anime) looks alike?
>
> That's a HUGE simplication, don't you think?
>
> Of course, I'm sure some Japanese would look at the artwork for American
> games and make the same misguided comments ;)

heheheheh, this is one of those "all asians look alike" kinda things isnt it
;)

funny story: I go to my friends baby shower where the mother is philippino
and the father is half chinese, I'm walking in with the father's sister, and
when we enter she looks around the predominantly phillipino room and says
"wow, they all look the same!"

heheheheh

Jordan

Well, there are certain styles within anime and manga just like there
are certain styles in American comic books. I think a lot of it stems
from artistic hero worship, which is why you have things like Neil
Adams vs. early Bill Sienkowitcz (sp?) or Russ Manning and Steve Rude.

- Jordan

TRENDING THREADS